Yamaha YPG 235 - Style/MIDI Files not Loading

Reaction score
SO one of the reasons I bought this keyboard was to be able to load up style and MIDI files on it from my PC. I've hooked my keyboard up to my PC and the file transferring software just fine.

When transferring a file to the keyboard, the filename even shows up on the keyboards LCD screen. However, when following the instructions in the manual/online PDF, It simply says "no file"...

The filenames show up on the damn LCD, so they must be there somewhere. However when I hit function > SFF Load and wait two seconds for the filenames to show up, it just says no file.

I've been using .STY files and .MIDI files. What in gods name am I doing wrong here?

Thanks!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
It's possible that the style files you're trying to use aren't compatible with the keyboard. Yamaha has updated their style file format a number of times over the years-- I believe the basic types are known as "SFF1" and "SFF2," although there might be variations within those types-- and some keyboards (even newly-released ones) are limited to older style file formats. I don't see any references to style file formats in the manual, but I think the YPG-235 is probably limited to the SFF1 format, so one thing you should do is check which format is used for the style file(s) you're trying to load. There are free programs that let you look at and modify style files, including seeing what type (SFF1 or SFF2) they are or converting SFF2 files to SFF1 files (although when going backwards you may lose something):

http://psrtutorial.com/MB/bedesem.html -- MidiPlayer and Mixmaster can identify the file type for you.
http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/ -- This site has several utilities for style files and MIDI song files, including Style Format 2 Converter.

Another possibility is that the file is too large for the keyboard, although I'm not sure what the maximum loadable size is for the YPG-235.

A third possibility might be that the length or format of the filenames is somehow interfering with the keyboard's ability to recognize them as style files or song files. For instance, I often see filenames for styles that include an extra period followed by an ID(?) before the file extension-- e.g., "HappyDanceStyle.S1234.sty"-- and that sort of thing might confuse the keyboard.

Just to verify-- you did transfer the files to the keyboard's "Flash Memory" first using the Musicsoft Downloader? Are you keeping the .STY and .MID extensions when transferring the files? Also, when you say you can see the file name on the LCD screen, which function are you in that the file shows up in?

Reaction score
SO one of the reasons I bought this keyboard was to be able to load up style and MIDI files on it from my PC. I've hooked my keyboard up to my PC and the file transferring software just fine.

When transferring a file to the keyboard, the filename even shows up on the keyboards LCD screen. However, when following the instructions in the manual/online PDF, It simply says "no file"...

The filenames show up on the damn LCD, so they must be there somewhere. However when I hit function > SFF Load and wait two seconds for the filenames to show up, it just says no file.

I've been using .STY files and .MIDI files. What in gods name am I doing wrong here?

Thanks!
Did u get any solution ? I am having same problem so if u solve it pls post it so we can use it

Reaction score
Never found a solution to this. I tried many different files of the correct filetype and none of them worked. It simply doesn't work

Ask a Question