Issues Loading Objects for K2500XS

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a K2500XS and I'm having some issues with loading objects.

I will note that I am not using floppies. I purchased a USB floppy emulator and am doing it that way. Information is transferring correctly, so no issues there. In fact, if you want a little advice on how to do this for yourself, let me know!

Anyway, the K2500XS is running OS 5.01, has KB3, KDFX, as well as Orchestral, Piano, and Contemporary ROMs installed.

Ever since I bought this keyboard, I never knew it had these ROMs. I only recently found out after replacing the keybed. After some reading, it looked like I needed to load the objects, which would be why they weren't showing up.

Diagnostics tested the ROMs and they passed, so there's that.

But when I download the objects for these roms, a funny thing happens. I get patches in the 700-800ish range, but none of them play and it wipes out all my factory patches, in that they're not there at all. If I go back and load the Base objects, my factory presets come back, but my Orch/Contemp/Piano stuff is gone.

I know it has been a while since I've messed with this, and that could probably be said for many others, but I feel like I'm missing something simple here.

Anyone have any advice?

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation! Luckily, with a little patience, I was able to fix the issue without Jean's help (but I will be keeping him in mind in the future).

Since I'm a firm believer in closure and leaving advice for anyone else having this issue and coming across this post, here's the fix that worked for me:

I was going wrong by attempting to load the Base Objects and Rom Option objects separately. The correct way is to load the Base Objects, then the Rom Objects, THEN finalize. No finalizing or shutting down the keyboard in between like I was doing before. Since I'm using USB sticks, I put the Base Objects on one and the Option Roms on the other and once it was done loading the Base Roms, I swapped over to the Options stick. I imagine it works the same for floppies since for all practical purposes, the Kurzweil doesn't know the difference.

I hear that with the right software, you can put up to 100 (or maybe it's 1,000) floppy images on a single USB stick. However, I didn't feel like messing with the emulator software (which was probably translated from Chinese and written for Win XP), and since I only had a few things to transfer, I didn't mind using a couple of USB sticks.

Easy (and cheap!) process all told, and I highly recommend the GoTek USB floppy emulators as a replacement to floppy drives. Doing the swap is insanely easy once you know all the little traps like making sure the jumpers are correct [set to S0 or the Kurz won't see it] and formatting the USB sticks (which is easily done straight from the emulator by inserting the stick you want to use and holding both buttons on startup).

Last edited:

Ask a Question