Looking for small (25 note) keyboard w. built in sampled sounds.

Reaction score
I play in a group on a 61 key Yamaha E413 keyboard. I'm looking for a small & light weight keyboard (25 keys) with on-board sampled sounds. I don't want to buy a controller and then get a lap top or a sound module to achieve what I'm looking for. Small, compact, ease of use are good things.. Can someone point me in this direction??

Reaction score
Sampled sounds? Good luck. There's nothing currently on the market that does that; workstations are typically 61, 73/76, or 88 keys. The only thing that I'm aware of that comes close is the Nord Wave, which is really a synth that can use sampled sounds if desired than something that plays back samples. There are smaller hardware samplers out there, but they don't usually have keyboards to go with them, plus you'd have to do the samples yourself with one of those, rather than calling up on-board string and brass patches, for example.

Reaction score
Nothing on the market?? I suspected as much. So now I'm going to have to get a small keyboard controller and a sound module to go with it. Can you advise me as to a sound module? Price is a consideration and I hope to get something cheap on Ebay. Brass, woodwind and organ sounds are what I'm looking for,, A Leslie effect would be a huge plus. I've never used a sound module, but assume I can figure out how to use them.
Advice is much appreciated Keyboard Master..

Reaction score
Keyboard master is just a title the forum gives you when you post a lot ;)

For a controller, I'd probably recommend the M-Audio Axiom 25. I've used the 61-key model before and it's great. There are a few others out there on the market, but other than the feel of the keys (try them to see what you like), there's not much else that really matters. Maybe a lot of knobs, buttons, or sliders, so that you have more control over things on the rack module. I'd basically program a controller so it always sent to the rack on a constant MIDI channel and so all the buttons and knobs always sent out specific MIDI CC messages, and let the module figure out which sounds to play.

For a module, you're basically looking at the rack mount equivalent of one of the standard pro-level workstation keyboards: the Korg M3-M, Yamaha Motif XS Rack, or the Roland Fantom-XR (they don't have a rack version of their Fantom G, their current top-of-the-line workstation). There are, of course, rack mount models of some of their older products as well, which you'd be more likely to find more cheaply.

I don't know that I'd recommend this route though. Especially if you're looking for used gear, you can probably get a workstation keyboard, especially one of the lower end models (Korg M50 or TR, Yamaha MO or MM, Roland Juno) for about the same price as a module and controller, and the workstation keyboard will have more keys (25 is really cramped) and the keyboard will work much better with the sound unit since they're all one piece.

Reaction score
I'm into portability as I sit in a chair and have a strap to hold my 61 note Yamaha E 413 in my lap (don't use a stand) and I want a very small (25 note) keyboard to mount just above my right hand to augment the sound. I don't need a lot of function here, just a few sounds which are different than my main keyboard. So a small controller with a sound module I guess is the only way to go,, which brings me to the sound module. What is small and cheap?? I don't want a rack.. I don't want anything heavy,, don't want lots of wires and plugs.. don't want anything expensive.. don't want to have to buy a lap top.
And this keyboard forum,, is there anyway to post and look at videos I wonder? I'm pretty much a klutz when it comes to navigating around this site.. Maybe I'll figure it out.

Ask a Question