Middle G Buzz

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha YPG-625 that just developed an irritating buzz ONLY when middle G is played. The problem seems to be intermittent & the loudness of the buzz varies. The buzz sounds electrical. If anyone can offer a suggestion to the problem (and hopefully a solution), I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Reaction score
Perhaps it is your speaker, where it buzzes at a specific frequency. Does it do it with headphones?

Reaction score
Dave: I doubt the speaker is the issue. First, the buzzing is intermittent. If the speaker itself was torn or if the foam speaker surround was collapsed, I doubt that the buzzing would be intermittent. However, when the buzzing reoccurs, I will put on my headphones & see if the problem persists. Also, a couple of months ago I had the keyboard apart to replace both felt stoppers. I took the opportunity to check the speakers & look for any obvious potential problems.

Happyrat: Everything is connected to the same circuit.

Reaction score
Do you have the USB computer also on the same circuit?
Nope. Just a keyboard. No peripherals.

I suspect that there might be some built-in diagnostics to the circuitry. However....when I acquired the used keyboard, the LCD display was "toast" (i.e. a distorted screen with vertical lines). Since I was only interested in the piano function, that wasn't a concern. Nevertheless, I might be able to "fly by the seat of my pants" & navigate through the menu by using the manual & the various buttons. Or not.

In the meantime, any other suggestions the you guys might have would certainly be appreciated. Thank you!

Reaction score
If the screen is garbage, there's an electrical fault internally.

Needs service.
Yes, the LCD is indeed garbage & has been for nearly a year. It's my understanding that the LCD module itself can be replaced. But since the buzz is a intermittent & recent development, it suspect that this is an electrical problem; but a separate issue.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You're on your own.

If you are planning a DIY fix then I wish you all the luck in the world.

Otherwise, call Yamaha Support for out of warranty repairs.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Incidentally, cheaper, older, LCD's use a fluorescent backlight.

Fluorescents buzz like hell when the light is ready to blow.

Replace the display before you try to diagnose a second problem.

Reaction score
Incidentally, cheaper, older, LCD's use a fluorescent backlight.

Fluorescents buzz like hell when the light is ready to blow.

Replace the display before you try to diagnose a second problem.
I also have to weigh that against the fact that the value of the keyboard might be significantly less than the total repair costs. Since the keyboard is quite old & I acquired it as a used hand-me-down, this might be the excuse I have been waiting for to spring for a new keyboard.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
how old is this animal? Less than 6 years old and I'd try to save it.

New board prices are up significantly since then.

Ask a Question