MIDI and KORG

Reaction score
Hi there: I am trying to record some music and convert to MIDI files (with my KORG Kronos and through GarageBand) to send to a producer, and none of the YouTube solutions have worked. I can only seem to produce mp3s or m4a's. I would appreciate any step-by-step help from you experts here on how best to do this. Many thanks.

Reaction score
Is your song stored on the Kronos or is it stored in Garageband?

(Also, keep in mind that MIDI is not an audio format. So it will sound different when played back in different environments.)

Reaction score
Thanks for responding. The song is stored in GB. I’ve been able to record and email an mp3 and an m4a to my producer. What I want to do is convert this to MIDI so I can email. Many thanks.

Reaction score
Thanks. This is very similar to what I have found on YouTube already. It seems I can get to the part after I convert the audio to a MIDI file but then I must be having trouble getting this new MIDI file back to a place where I can share it via email because my producer just keeps getting an mp3 or a m4a audio file........

Reaction score
Not sure why your producer would want midi, tbh?
Korg midi implementation on my PA4X is challenging, and I haven't a kronos. But what I have found the easiest way is to record the midi on the PA4X, dump it on a usb stick, then move it to the DAW that way. You'll have to remove loads of cc and program change stuff from that to use it on a different keyboard, of course. Perhaps you can do something similar with the Kronos?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The sad fact is, if it was recorded as audio to begin with then there is NO MIDI to export.

Unless you are willing to rerecord it into a DAW as a MIDI file, then your only other option is one of those p**s poor MP3 to MID converter programs.

Either do another take or forget about having a MID file.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, Garageband is pretty limited when it comes to MID recording,.

If this is commercial quality then use a REAL DAW.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The sad fact is, if it was recorded as audio to begin with then there is NO MIDI to export.

Unless you are willing to rerecord it into a DAW as a MIDI file, then your only other option is one of those p**s poor MP3 to MID converter programs.

Either do another take or forget about having a MID file.

Gary ;)
Yes! The quickest way on the pa4x is to record it as midi on the keyboard, edit that on the keyboard itself (normally that involves cutting bars of nonsense out), and only then record it as audio from the edited midi. However limiting the midi edit facilities are on a PA arranger (and they are pretty difficult to use) it's a world quicker than usung a daw because of the poor midi implementation on the arranger.
Definitely from where you are at the moment, the best way would be to start from scratch using midi.

You have no idea how much time I've wasted saying "No, it really can't be like this" before I accepted that yes, it was like this. For me, the pa4x was a major purchase, and to discover that I couldn't easy use it as a daw controller keyboard, using the pa4x's own excellent keyboard sets and sounds was quite a shock. For someone else, it's like ok, let's get a VSTi setup seperate.

Ask a Question