MIDI software

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to this kind of thing, so please be patient...

I was wondering whether there is a piece of software that would allow me to import a MIDI file and loop it while sending the data to another software that would receive the MIDI signal and play the sounds. On an arranger, for example, one can control the style by pushing the variation buttons which determine which MIDI file loops and which sounds are played. I don't know if a computer can do that internally though...

I am asking this because completely replacing the arranger I currently use with a laptop + a synth would be nice.

Thanks for all the help

Reaction score
well that sounds like it can all be done in a single Digital Audio Workstation, notably Ableton live, which is exceedingly good at pairing up with controllers that let you trigger audio loops, or in your case, midi files.
Ableton can host any software synthesizer that supports VST or AU format. keeping it all in one is the easiest route so think about saving money by limiting the whole setup to something based off one computer, and all software, (In the box), versus running the midi signal out to hardware synths (out of the box).

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
A couple of other alternatives which also have the "clip-launching" feature that Ableton Live is famous for are Acoustica Mixcraft and Bitwig Studios. There may be others, but those are the ones I know of.

On the other hand, if you don't need to launch clips using a pad controller a la Ableton Live, just about any DAW should let you import a MIDI file and loop a MIDI or audio clip.

Reaction score
Have you tried Cantabile? I've been using this software for over a year now and it is very powerful. Also it is backed up by an extremely kind and helpful user forum, and the developer actively listens to users to improve the software, add new features, etc. I myself use the Performer edition but there is also a 1 month trial version. Its learning curve is a bit steep but as I have said earlier the user forum is very helpful. https://www.cantabilesoftware.com

Ask a Question