MIDI SONG TO STYLE YAMAHA SOFTWARE PROBLEM

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My name is Fran, and I've just registered as a new member of the forum.

I recently bought a Yamaha Tyros 2 from which I am still learning its basic functions.

My knowledge of arrangers, MIDI files, and styles is very basic, so the language I use and the reasoning I will make next can make little sense.

I've started using Yamaha's "Midi song to style" program and I have a problem that I can't find a solution to.

In "easy" mode, I create a style from a MIDI file, later I convert it to SSF1 with a "Style2converter" software and load it via USB into the Tyros 2.

The style works correctly, leaving aside possible tonal errors in "intros", and the assignment of "mains", etc that it does automatically.

But when I play the style on the Tyros and change chords, especially to minor, or sharp, the rhythm of the style changes time signature, non-harmonic drum beats appear, and even effects are heard of sounds that didn't exist before in the previous chord, with a terribly result.

I have tried about different 50 midi, from different sources, and the result is always the same.

I've thought that maybe the error occurs when changing from SSF2 to SSF1 format, but I don't know if this makes any sense.

I've tried the following things in the edit mode of Midi song to style:

-Change the key in cases where it's wrong and click Reanalyze button setting, with no result.

-I thought that maybe the program assigned the drum kit channel to the Chd1 or Chd2 parameter , but these are correctly assigned to instrument channels, not to the drum kit.

I would like to know if anyone has had this problem or knows what the error may be.

In case someone is interested, I could send one of the styles that give me these problems, both in SFF1 and SFF2 formats, so that they can try them on their YAMAHA keyboards, and thus be able to observe the problem to find a possible solution, or check if they observe the same problem or not, thus ruling out whether or not it is a problem when converting the style, or if SFF2 doesn't have the problem (I can't check) or if it's just a problem with my Tyros.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards.

Reaction score
Hi, Did you solve the problem? If yes, how? Please let me and the others know thank you.
Hello Cosmos, I am new to this forums and I said that the issue was resolved so that no one would worry about it, looking for a solution.

I didn't post the solution because I assumed that no one was interested in the topic or had never had this problem happen to them since it is quite strange.

The solution was provided to me by Bogdan, an excellent expert on this topic.

In my case the error occurred when converting the style from SSF2 to SSF1.

To solve this, you must open the style in the Keyboard Style Editor and change the NTT option from "MELODY (BASS)" to "BYPASS".

Regards.

Reaction score
Hello Cosmos, I am new to this forums and I said that the issue was resolved so that no one would worry about it, looking for a solution.

I didn't post the solution because I assumed that no one was interested in the topic or had never had this problem happen to them since it is quite strange.

The solution was provided to me by Bogdan, an excellent expert on this topic.

In my case the error occurred when converting the style from SSF2 to SSF1.

To solve this, you must open the style in the Keyboard Style Editor and change the NTT option from "MELODY (BASS)" to "BYPASS".

Regards.
Hi Fran, thanks very much for your reply with an answer to your problem you had. It is always good for me to expand my knowledge and learn more about the subject, especially now that I bought a Genos 2. Perhaps I meet with this problem in the future. Good to have some expert/s in this forum to rely on. Thanks and regards...

Reaction score
Hi Fran, thanks very much for your reply with an answer to your problem you had. It is always good for me to expand my knowledge and learn more about the subject, especially now that I bought a Genos 2. Perhaps I meet with this problem in the future. Good to have some expert/s in this forum to rely on. Thanks and regards...
Hi, your welcome.
I have very basic knowledge, so I recently started to manage with keyboards.
Enjoy your new Genos2!
Regards.

Reaction score
Hi Fran

I'm a Korg Pa 3x user - but I'm impressed with what Yamaha did with the Midi2Style.
I'm not familiar with the meaning of SSF2 to SSF1.
I believe that "2" is a newer version of "1"?

If I understood well:

1) You can convert MIDI 2 Style - from any MIDI to .sty?
2) You can use "sty" file for newer keyboards
3) For the older, you need to convert them from SSF2 to SSF1.?

If so, the Midi 2 style, would work on any Yamaha keybaord?

Mayo

Reaction score
Hola Fran

Soy usuario de Korg Pa 3x, pero estoy impresionado con lo que hizo Yamaha con el Midi2Style.
No estoy familiarizado con el significado de SSF2 a SSF1.
Creo que "2" es una versión más nueva de "1"?

Si entendí bien:

1) ¿Puede convertir el estilo MIDI 2 de cualquier MIDI a .sty?
2) Puede usar el archivo "sty" para teclados más nuevos
3) Para los más antiguos, debe convertirlos de SSF2 a SSF1.

Si es así, el estilo Midi 2, funcionaría en cualquier teclado Yamaha?

Mayo
Hi Mayo,

Although I don't konw so much about keyboards, styles, midi, etc., I'll try to answer your questions.

The official software from Yamaha corporation is called "Midi Song To Style", it's a free download program on their website.

I'm not sure, but I think that some years ago, Korg created a similar program for Korg keyboards, but I'm not really sure.

If you are interested, in youtube there's a tutorial of the Yamaha porgram, but it seems also be dedicated to Korg keyboards, but I'm not completely sure about this because I have not seen the hole tutorial, and also my English is very basic, besides my knowledgement of keyboards vocabulary is very basic, too, etc.

Yes, SSF2 is the file that newer Yamaha keyboards use for their styles, and SSF1 is the older one.

1) Yes. The program is able to transform a General Midi file into a file .sty (SSF2). Although the resolt depends on how has been created the MIDI file, sometimes the program can not create the style.

2) Yes. The software, and so the style created, have been programmed specifically for some of the newer Yamaha keyboards (SSF2).

3) Yes. With other software (is not an official Yamaha software), they can be converted easily to SSF1 for using them on the older keyboards, but doing later some adjust of the style on the keyboard's style editor.

The style SSF2 will work on a new Yamaha keyboards, but not in all oh them, only in the specific models that use this kind or SSF2 standard.

I think that will be possible too, to convert the SSF2 file to a Korg file type, but I don't know how.

I hope I had been able to help you.

Regards.

Fran.

Ask a Question