Record midi from psr-e353 song playback?

Reaction score
Hi all, my setup with computer has no problem recording midi from psr-e353 (eg using anvil studio), if I play the keys. But if I playback midi on the keyboard (either the built-in songs or my own saved songs), the computer software doesn't seem to record midi...In the keyboard "PC mode" setting, I did set it to "off". I'm wondering if it's because of the channels...or is it even possible to record midi from keyboard playback with this keyboard? Thanks

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
If you set the PC Mode to "Off" it's supposed to let you transmit a song to the computer-- but you cannot transmit the built-in songs, only those you've recorded yourself.

Reaction score
If you set the PC Mode to "Off" it's supposed to let you transmit a song to the computer-- but you cannot transmit the built-in songs, only those you've recorded yourself.
Oh ok, thank you. let me see what I did wrong then. Perhaps setting on computer software side...

Reaction score
Now my own recorded song can also playback, no problem. Thanks a lot.
Just for my understanding though: If I have a midi file, upload it to keyboard flash memory and playback. Why anvil studio doesn't recognize the midi input. What difference does it have from the keyboard recorded song? Is it possible to change it so that anvil studio recognize (and record) this kind of midi file? (I could just open the midi file directly in anvil studio, instead of loading it to keyboard, playback and record. But just want to understand this playback thing). Thanks again.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I thought it was supposed to transmit MIDI song files as well. But I don't know whether the built-in songs have some sort of MIDI message in them-- such as a MIDI "Copyright" message-- that the keyboard looks for to see if the song is okay to transmit. If you load the song file directly into Anvil Studio and look at the list of MIDI events, do you see a copyright message in it?

Reaction score
I thought it was supposed to transmit MIDI song files as well. But I don't know whether the built-in songs have some sort of MIDI message in them-- such as a MIDI "Copyright" message-- that the keyboard looks for to see if the song is okay to transmit. If you load the song file directly into Anvil Studio and look at the list of MIDI events, do you see a copyright message in it?
No, I didn't see anything copyright (perhaps because I'm new to anvil studio too). I did change the channel of the song a few times. None of them work.
I think I'll create a new song using anvil studio music sheet, and try it on keyboard to playback again. That shouldn't have copyright issue. If it still doesn work, it would perhaps mean there's some hidden indetifier that distinguishs midi generated by keys from others?...we'll see.

Reaction score
No, I didn't see anything copyright (perhaps because I'm new to anvil studio too). I did change the channel of the song a few times. None of them work.
I think I'll create a new song using anvil studio music sheet, and try it on keyboard to playback again. That shouldn't have copyright issue. If it still doesn work, it would perhaps mean there's some hidden indetifier that distinguishs midi generated by keys from others?...we'll see.
This is so strange. I created two measures using Anvil studio, played back the created midi on keyboard, then anvil studio wouldn't recognize the playback.....

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Maybe it doesn't let you output the MIDI from songs if they're played from a file? I'll try it on my PSR-E443 to see what results I get.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I haven't tried it yet, but I had a thought. A while back I was helping someone figure out how to record their keyboard's MIDI "live"-- i.e., inputting MIDI events by playing on the keys-- and I noticed that when I armed the track and played on my keyboard, the MIDI data didn't show up until I finished playing and stopped recording, then all the data appeared in the track all at once. So if you're playing back a MIDI song file on the keyboard and trying to record the MIDI in Anvil Studio, arm the tracks, play back the song, let it play all the way through to the end, and stop the recording after the song has finished playing. Does the data appear then?

Reaction score
I haven't tried it yet, but I had a thought. A while back I was helping someone figure out how to record their keyboard's MIDI "live"-- i.e., inputting MIDI events by playing on the keys-- and I noticed that when I armed the track and played on my keyboard, the MIDI data didn't show up until I finished playing and stopped recording, then all the data appeared in the track all at once. So if you're playing back a MIDI song file on the keyboard and trying to record the MIDI in Anvil Studio, arm the tracks, play back the song, let it play all the way through to the end, and stop the recording after the song has finished playing. Does the data appear then?
Will try that. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Maybe it doesn't let you output the MIDI from songs if they're played from a file? I'll try it on my PSR-E443 to see what results I get.
It's quite possible. I also experimented it on roland fp30, played a couple of keys and recorded it to usb plugged to the DP, then playback the file from DP, anvil didn't recognize it. But will try to play the whole song as you suggested, and see if it works.

Ask a Question