Monitor speakers with multiple keyboards

Reaction score
I hear what you're saying. I do care, and I really take good care of all my equipment : computer, television, camera, car and everything in the house, basically.
It's not very dusty in my house : there are stone tiles on the floor, not carpet, so that diminishes dust development considerably already. Plus, I try and keep it as clean as possible ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I hear you but regardless of how clean you keep your house the average human sheds about 10 lbs of dust per year in dead skin cells and hair follicles.

A well made custom dust cover is cheap insurance if you plan on keeping your gear going for ten years or more.

Everytime I buy a new piece of gear one of my first stops online is one of the two places I listed to pick up decent dust covers.

I spent way too much money on my gear to lose it to an army of dust mites.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, the way that dust infiltration works in keyboards is that the key switches are a pair of silicone rubber membrane cups for each key that act as a pair of suction cups whenever they're played.

ANY dust that resides inside the keyboard stands a very likely chance of getting sucked in and fouling the contacts causing any of a number of problems which require complete disassembly and cleaning of the keyboard internals.

It doesn't really take a whole lot of dust to foul up a contact and require a $300 service job.

It's really up to you if you think it's worth the risk.

I'm happy enough with my waterproof, spill-proof, airtight dust covers and you are free to use what you think is best.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Fun Facts About Dust :

The average person creates 1/3 ounce of dead skin each week, which is about the weight of a car key. This dead skin combines with other particles to create household dust.

While that 1/3 ounce doesn’t seem like much, the average home in the United States collects 40 pounds of dust each year.

A commonly quoted statistic is that 80% of dust is made up of dead skin, but that’s actually a pretty small percentage. Dust in houses and offices is made up of a combination of pollen, hair, textile fibers, paper fibers, soil minerals, cosmic dust particles, and various other materials found in the local environment.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
We digress, gentlemen... This a keyboard or cleaning forum ? :D
@Biggles
Good grief, didn't think of a cover for the mixer. And you're right to point it out. I guess the studio monitors will be alright but the mixer will need one. Will look into it...

Edit : just finished installing the VR-730, only arrived today... Together with the FA-08, it's a match made in heaven. For me personally, in any case. Haven't tried everything yet, don't want to burn the midnight oil, but it 'feels right'. Absolutely love the waterfall keyboard on the VR-730. Makes that MX61 I sent back feel like a toy (no offence to MX owners, I just happen to dislike synth action keyboards...).

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Yep.. I have a custom cover for my Yamaha Mixer as well. You don't want to know what it costs to replace a slider on a modern mixer :eek:

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, if you want a good idea of just how much dust those spandex covers collect, just bring one to a window on a sunny day, give it a smack, and watch the dust particles dance in the sunbeam. :D

Unless you keep your keys in a HEPA filtered industrial clean room you will cringe at how much dust those things retain. ;)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
o_O
BTW, if you want a good idea of just how much dust those spandex covers collect, just bring one to a window on a sunny day, give it a smack, and watch the dust particles dance in the sunbeam. :D

Unless you keep your keys in a HEPA filtered industrial clean room you will cringe at how much dust those things retain. ;)

Gary ;)

What ever you do for a turn on Gary is entirely up to you.

:D

Reaction score
@Biggles
Made a mistake with the mixer link. I meant this one :

One more question about the mixer : I see that Behringer has more or less the same mixers in two versions, one with USB, one without USB.
As the USB is meant to connect the mixer to the computer and a DAW, I don't really see the use for it since my keyboards are directly connected to the computer via USB.
So, just get the 'normal' version ? I only want to use the mixer as a 'switch' to connect two or more keyboards to one pair of studio monitor speakers...
I also read a lot about lag with those USB interfaces...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Mine is the 1002B which does not have any USB connections, it does have battery power if I want to use it outside.

It also has line out for connection to recorders in addition to the output to an amp or a pair if powered PA speakers.

So checkout this version.

Ask a Question