Motif fx8 changing sound by itself

Reaction score
Please my motif fx8 always change sounds on its own. It happened like 6 months ago, it stopped on its own but it has started with that same fault again and this time is furious as it doesn't even allow any sound I select to stay up to a minute before returning to piano sound on its own.
Please what could be the cause of this issue? Anyone with an idea should help please

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sounds like a power supply issue causing phantom reboots.

What is the condition of the local power grid in your area? Is it noisy and spotty power or is it rock steady?

Otherwise it may be the power supply brick that came with the keyboard is failing.

If so, you may have to pony up for a new power supply.

These things can be difficult to diagnose without some technical knowledge and the tools to test with.

Phone up a local music store and ask them if there are known issues with the power grid in your area.

Keyboards are basically computers these days and if the power grid is spotty the best solution is to invest in a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) which is basically a power conditioning unit with a battery backup for brownouts and filters for the noise.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Just to add to Gary’s great advice.

I would recommend that any electronic device which you have that is mains powered that you at the very least have a surge arresting/conditioning unit in the mains supply.

Here in the UK we can buy them either as a plug in unit which in turn has the electronic device plugged into it or it is inbuilt in a multi gang mains extension lead.

In the event of certain mains supply faults then it is possible that a 220v supply could peak far in excess and electronic circuits would basically be fried. I had just such a fault in the distribution system in my road, all houses in the area suffered a surge, my TV, PC and HiFi, were protected but my washing machine, dishwasher, bedside radio/alarm were not and they were fried.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, if you end up buying a UPS unit in North America the best brand you can go with is APC. The internal batteries last about 5 years and these are easily and economically replaceable in the APC brand.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Check to ensure your buttons or wheel are stuck. If you have a semi-stuck program buttons/wheels it will act as if it is being held down and continue to change programs even when you let go. You might want to vigorously spin the wheels and continuously push the buttons to see if if will free them up and then see if your issue stops. I would do this check before investing in power supply controlling options.

Reaction score
Sounds like a power supply issue causing phantom reboots.

What is the condition of the local power grid in your area? Is it noisy and spotty power or is it rock steady?

Otherwise it may be the power supply brick that came with the keyboard is failing.

If so, you may have to pony up for a new power supply.

These things can be difficult to diagnose without some technical knowledge and the tools to test with.

Phone up a local music store and ask them if there are known issues with the power grid in your area.

Keyboards are basically computers these days and if the power grid is spotty the best solution is to invest in a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) which is basically a power conditioning unit with a battery backup for brownouts and filters for the noise.

Gary ;)

Thank you very much Gary. You think if I should get UPS it will okay or there's some

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Frankly I'm just spitballing here. Without confirmation tests of the power grid and no access to the unit all I can do is suggest possible fixes.

Dave's suggestion to check the encoder is a good one. Those suckers die quite often in keyboards and they can also cause similar problems.

My advice is to do your homework and verify if there are are power grid issues in your area first.

Or it could even be a completely unrelated fault inside the unit itself.

I'd suggest visiting with a local keyboard tech and finding out what the lay of the local land really is in your area.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question