Yamaha MOXF8 new vs. Motif XF6 used

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am currently looking into buying a new Yamaha MOXF8, however, I noticed that one could get a Motif XF6 for about the same price.

Since the Motif has been discontinued, there aren’t really a whole lot of comparisons out there between these two models. Could anyone chime in on what you are missing with the MOXF series? I don’t want to get the older model and find out that all I am gaining is some hardware knobs that have been replaced with soft keys. Is Yamaha able to just sell the Motif in a lighter package for a lot less money because of technology, or are there big functionality differences? I don’t plan to move this a lot so the heavy weight of the Motif is not an issue.

Also on the new vs used front, how much value do you think you lose by not getting the packaged software? I think the MOXF comes with some version of Cubase, but if it is just some dumbed down version that isn’t worth using or costs $50, then I don’t really care.

Thanks!

Eric

Reaction score
Welcome.

My advice would be to buy new, but not the Yamaha which is reputed to have a very suspect and noisy key action.

A Roland Juno DS 88 would imho be a far better buy.

As for DAW software, Cakewalk is now free go to the BandLab site, register, download it and install, whats not to like gen its free.

Reaction score
It comes down to whether you want 88 keys or 61 (the 88 is weighted, the 61 is sort of a semi-weighted synth action), whether you would like 4 or 8 zones in Master Mode for controlling other gear, and whether or not you want aftertouch. That's about it. Build quality is metal and wood on the Motif, plastic on the MOXF8. The MOXF has all the sounds of the Motif XF, but the Motif has more control features. I myself chose a Motif XF8 over the MOXF8 when I bought mine new a few years ago. On the other hand, if you don't need the internal sequencer, the MOXF is being replaced by the soon-to-be-announced MODX8. Look into it if it applies.

Reaction score
Welcome.

My advice would be to buy new, but not the Yamaha which is reputed to have a very suspect and noisy key action.

A Roland Juno DS 88 would imho be a far better buy.

As for DAW software, Cakewalk is now free go to the BandLab site, register, download it and install, whats not to like gen its free.

Depends on each person's definition of "noisy". I didn't find it to be all that noisy when I've played them. My Krome is louder. They have used the GHS action (the one on the MOXF8) in many keyboards. Never found it to be an issue.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Yamaha is announcing a new line of synths tomorrow (Friday, September 14), so you might want to wait until after that to decide, in case you'd rather buy a new model than an old one:

https://www.yamahasynth.com/yamaha-synth-rss/something-new

As for your question... I have no experience with either model, but the MOXF has a much smaller screen with less information displayed on it than the MOTIF does. I believe there are also some differences in the whole voice-design and voice-control capabilities, but I might be wrong about that-- although I do know that the MOTIF has aftertouch whereas the MOXF does not (if aftertouch is something you like to use).

Other than that, the choice between a 61-key or 88-key model-- or, if available, a 76-key model-- generally boils down to whether you prefer to play on a piano-action keybed (88 keys, and sometimes 76 keys) or a synth-action keybed (61 keys, and usually also 76 keys).

Reaction score
Thanks all. Now I have to decide between the MOXF and the MODX. That will be a difficult decision. I really wanted a workstation but the synth is newer.

Anyone know if the MOXF will be getting a price break now?

Reaction score
Thanks all. Now I have to decide between the MOXF and the MODX. That will be a difficult decision. I really wanted a workstation but the synth is newer.

Anyone know if the MOXF will be getting a price break now?

I would expect the prices of the new old stock to go down, similarly to the way the Nord Electro 5 did when the Electro 6 came out.

MOXF vs MODX, if I had to choose, would come down to what kind of music you play, and if it will be live or just studio work. Depending on your workflow, the MODX may have some limitations.

What type of music do you play, do you play in a band, do you like working with computers a lot, and do you use a lot of MIDI are the first four things that should be considered.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Compared to the MODX8 the MOXF8 sells $200 cheaper already.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=yamaha moxf8&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&typedValue=

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=yamaha modx8&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

I seriously doubt Yamaha will cut the price any more inasmuch as the MODX is plastic compared to the MOXF's metal and very likely is a much cheaper build.

Since the price difference is almost trivial between the two, I'd suggest reviewing the specs carefully, factoring in construction quality and features, weight and sound quality and make your decision accordingly.

My guess would be that the MOXF uses a standard three pronged line cord and internal power supply compared to what is probably a wall wart on the MODX.

EDIT >>> I guessed wrongly. Both use a wall wart for power.

I'd say do your homework and choose accordingly.

Gary ;)

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Really? I confess I'm no expert when it comes to Yamaha gear. Thanks for the heads up.

Gary;)

Ask a Question