Please HELP! (Motif ES7 and another keyboard to control it...(?))

Reaction score
Hi,

Please somebody help me...!

I have no luck in setting up my MotifES7 (as a master keyboard) and another (slave) keyboard (studiologic) to control different sounds on the Motif...

I go from studiologic (MIDI out) into the Motif (MIDI in) by MIDI cable.

On Motif I use 4 parts (4 different sound layers) in performance mode and in my particular situation I need the 3rd part to be controlled by the studiologic keyboard...

The studiologic does control the Motif, but every time it plays all layers simultaneously... I've tried to set different MIDI channels on the studiologic as well but it didn't work.

I have no idea how specify the MIDI transmit channel to each layer separately and I'm sure that it must work somehow...

(the SONG mode don't work, because I use 3 sound layers at once, and this mode won't let me to play three different sounds simultaneously)

Anyone...?

Reaction score
A "Performance" on the Motif ES can consist of up to 16 sound "patches" - each of which, in turn, can consist of up to 4 wave sample "parts". You can assign different MIDI channels to the different "patches" within the "Performance", but you can not assign different MIDI channels to the individual "parts" within a given "patch". MIDI channels are assigned at the "patch" level - not at the "part" level. I can not tell for certain from your post if this is what you are trying to do, but from your description, I get the impression that it is. If it is, then you need to assign the three "parts" you want to play from the Motif to one "patch" and assign it to the Motif keyboard and the other "part" to a different "patch" and assign that patch to the MIDI channel being received from the Studiologic. If this is not the case, if you are actually trying to assign MIDI channels at the "patch" level, then you just need to make certain that the "patch" you want to control from the Studiologic is the ONLY one assigned to the MIDI channel that the Studiologic is transmitting on. All other "patches" in the "Performance" should be either assigned to other MIDI channels or (preferably) have their MIDI receive switches set to OFF.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi! First of all thank you for a quick reply...! :) Yes I want to control one of the (part) layers by different keyboard... So it's not possible at all? And if not - do you have any idea how to set it up, so that I use different keyboard to play one of the sounds from the Motif and play different (layered) sounds along on the Motif as well at the same time...? :) Thanks...

Reaction score
OK ! So, you are trying to use a 4 Part Patch. Copy that Patch to TWO identical User Patches and assign them to the first two Patch positions of a User Performance. Using the Motif's Patch Editor, edit Patch #1, and turn "off" ONLY the Part (sound) that you want to play from the Soundlogic and save it. Assign that Patch to be played from the Motif's keyboard. Now, edit Patch #2, and turn "off" the 3 Parts (sounds) that you want to play from the Motif's keyboard and save it. Assign that Patch to the MIDI channel being received from the Soundlogic and save your User Performance. That should do it. Basically, all you have done is spread your "Parts" over two different "Patches" so that you can control them from two different sources.

Just for comparison, I had a Motif XS for several years. Each "Patch" on that (and the current XF model) could consist of up to 8 wave sample "Parts". Patch programming on those beasts can be a LOT of fun (?).

Good luck !

Last edited:
Reaction score
To be honest - I probably did't get it... When I change the performance to other one, it seems to be a totally different, separate scene, without an option to connect those two scenes together. By "using Motif's Patch Editor" you mean the computer software? Otherwise it seems impossible... Thanks, I appreciate your effort! I just still can't figure it out...

Reaction score
No! I was referring to the Motif's internal Voice Editor on the keyboard itself - as described on Pages 79-84 of the main Owner's Manual. On simpler edits like this, using the computer based Voice Editor can sometimes overwhelm you with unneeded info, and you end up changing things that you did not intend to. With the internal (hardware) editor, you pretty much only see the task at hand. BUT . . . if changing to a different Performance changes the sound, then that means the Performance is applying overrides to the individual Patch Parameter settings - probably level and effects overrides. You could try starting by copying the existing Performance to a User Performance and then editing the Patches within that copied Performance.

Reaction score
No software - good... :D I'm using the internal voice/performance editor many years already and I know how to control it quiet good, but I've never needed another keyboard to play sounds from the Motif along with the keyboard on the Motif it self at the same time. Unfortunately when I create the performance on USER: 001 and copy the same to USER: 002 it acts as two different/separate scenes, because the ext. keyboard is always playing only the sound from USER: 001 and when I switch to the USER: 002 it even cuts the reverb... I don't see any option in the settings to connect those two performances... Are you sure that it is even possible on the ES7?

Reaction score
I only suggested copying the Performance to a different Performance, because I thought you did not want to edit the original Performance. You are correct. You can not use two Performances at the same time. What you need to do is copy the Patch you are trying to use to a second patch in the SAME performance. Then turn off Parts 1, 2, and 4 in one Patch, and turn off Part 3 in the other Patch. Assign the Patch with Parts 1, 2, and 4 turned off to the MIDI channel coming from the StudioOne and the other patch to the Motif's keyboard. That should be possible, but you seem to be losing the effects on the copied Patch, so since I do not have an ES here to experiment with, I am going to suggest that you post your question over on the Motif ES sub-forum of the Motifator.com Forum. You may even be able to find someone there who is able to make the patches and upload them for you. I did that several times when I was a member there. Who knows, you might even be able to get ol' "Bad Mister" Phil Clendeninn to help you out.

Last edited:

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it matters, but the terminology you're using is backwards.

I have no luck in setting up my MotifES7 (as a master keyboard) and another (slave) keyboard (studiologic) to control different sounds on the Motif...

The "master" keyboard is the one you're striking, the "slave" keyboard is the one making the sounds. (Yes, it gets more confusing when you're ALSO striking the slave keyboard. Context matters. The Motif is both a slave and a master simultaneously.)

The reason it matters is that if you've read that the connection is MIDI Out on the slave to MIDI In on the master, then your MIDI cable is backward. Did you connect the MIDI Out of the Studiologic to the MIDI In of the Motif? If you did, then just ignore this entire message.

Ask a Question