MX880 in comparison to dgx660 etc.

Reaction score
So I have a dgx660 and LOVE it. Way too big and heavy to gig with for me though. I actually had a cp4 stage at one point but wanted more sounds. I had a nord but didn't like the pianos or the $. I got the dgx60 for home and loved it, especially for the price. So anyhow, I'm looking for a gigging keyboard with pianos, ep's and some organs and I do like yamaha's key feel and pianos in general. So I was thinking for the dgx660 as an option. At about 30lbs it's the most I'd want to lug around.

My questions are what the differences are between it and the dgx660. Also, I tried a p125 but it was quite limited and the sounds were pretty basic. I'm amazed at the difference in the p125 and dgx660. The 660 sounds so much better. Is it the larger speakers or tones?

Anyhow, I look forward to your input. Thank you.

Dave

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
You posted the same question on another forum, and I replied there, but I'll do so here as well.

So I was thinking for the dgx660 as an option.

I'm assuming you meant to say "MX88" in that sentence.

The MX88 is a ROMpler synth, while the DGX-660 is a digital grand with arranger features.

Although I've never played a DGX-660, I expect that the MX88 is better-sounding than the DGX-660, because it has more sophisticated tone generators, better voice-editing capabilities, and the ability to use up to 16 voices at once in splits and layers (or "performances").

On the other hand, the MX88 can't play style files as the DGX-660 can, so if you rely on auto accompaniments while you play then you'll need to make adjustments for that difference.

Also, the MX88 has a very different layout of panel controls, a much smaller text-based LCD screen display, and no built-in speakers.

In short, the MX88 might take some getting used to if you're already used to playing on the DGX-660, but it will probably have better-sounding voices than the DGX-660.

Reaction score
Well, I made the plunge on the mx88. I thought it was ok at first. Just ok. But when I got in and eq'd the piano, I now LOVE it! Wow, what a difference. Actually thinking of getting the mx61 fir basic gigs when I'm dragging out 2 guitars and my pa etc. instead of the 88. Save it for bigger gigs and home studio use. This keyboard is stuffed with a ton of sounds and features that will take quite a while to digest.

Ask a Question