Need guidance to pick a keyboard capable of using as midi controller

Reaction score
hello guys
I am very new in keyboards and midi controllers
I know I can buy a midi controller easy to connect to daw like fl studio and start to create music
But I do like to have a synthesizer keyboard with some pre installed sounds to use as standalone keyboard without vst and maybe increase its sound by installing more sample and loops from USB connector .
My problem is I don't know what kind of keyboard is suitable for me that has both standalone and midi vst support at the same time

I found
Yamaha Psr e453 and it looks like to support midi input (not sure that I can install new sample and loops into that) and not sure it could play my vst sounds from daw i think it only records the keyboard pre installed sound in daw

Is there any device that I'm looking for or not
I wanted to buy innovation launchkey 61 but it has no sound by itself

I searched Google but it wasn't clear
My budget is around 250 to 300$

Sorry for long or maybe confusing details
I don't mind if I get a second hand device either
Thanks in advance

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The PSR-E453 can act as a MIDI keyboard controller through its USB connection. I use my PSR-EW400 (which is the 76-key version of the PSR-E453) and related models as MIDI keyboard controllers quite frequently. You will not be able to load new sounds into it, but you can modify the built-in sounds a great deal by changing their attack times, release times, filter cutoff frequencies, and filter resonance levels. It has a built-in USB audio interface, so if you've got it connected to a computer, laptop, tablet, or smartphone via USB then you can use it to play soft synths and other virtual instruments, and send the audio to the keyboard so the sounds come from the keyboard's speakers.

Just to clarify a little bit, a VST plugin is a plugin that uses some version of Steinberg's VST format-- usually VST2 or VST3-- but there are also other formats in use, such as AU and AAX to name just two. A lot of people use "VST" as a generic term to mean a plugin of any format, but I like to use "VI" or "virtual instrument" instead. A "soft synth" is just what it sounds like-- a program that generates sounds similar to how hardware synths work, but via software routines rather than hardware components. A soft synth is a type of VI, and all VIs are technically soft synths, but the two terms aren't quite interchangeable. Some VIs work by playing sound samples rather than by generating sounds on the fly the way a synth normally does-- like the software equivalent of a "ROMpler" keyboard-- but then samplers and ROMplers are types of synths, so it's all a big melting pot of confusion. But most people think of a synth as a hardware or software instrument that lets you create all manner of sounds, as opposed to being limited to a specific set of sampled sounds. So that's why I said "soft synths and other virtual instruments" above. :)

Reaction score
PSR EW410 is c$430

PSR E463 is c$300

Casio WK660 c$300

If you checkout second user websites you may find a Roland Juno within your budget and this would offer better quality sounds.

Ask a Question