need help with Casio WK6500 and interface with Windows 7 (sequence,send files to KB)

Reaction score
ive DL'd casio data manager 6.0 , smf converter,audacity but for some reason the software isnt recognizing the files I DL'd from casio (i.e. tones,rythms,midis) I can back up recieve data from KB but i cant get data mang. to recognize the files and I cant seem to get Audacity to recognize my KB as well.
Im very new to this (i used Atari ST with midi ports years ago to sequencing and it was a snap!). this midi-usb thing seems to be out of my grasp so far :/ .
any help at all will be severely appreciated :D
Doc:eek:

Reaction score
ive DL'd casio data manager 6.0 , smf converter,audacity but for some reason the software isnt recognizing the files I DL'd from casio (i.e. tones,rythms,midis) I can back up recieve data from KB but i cant get data mang. to recognize the files and I cant seem to get Audacity to recognize my KB as well.
Im very new to this (i used Atari ST with midi ports years ago to sequencing and it was a snap!). this midi-usb thing seems to be out of my grasp so far :/ .
any help at all will be severely appreciated :D
Doc:eek:

Don't know if this helps at all but take a look at this page about Win 7 and Vista :D

http://support.casio.com/information.php?rgn=5&cid=008&pid=934

AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE ETC...................................

"*3 [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Both the IN and OUT devices may be displayed during MIDI device selection with the MIDI application software.
Select the appropriate IN/OUT device names.

Mistakenly selecting "IN" for an OUT device or "OUT" for an IN device when using SMF Converter will cause the "The MIDI device cannot be used." error to appear.
If this happens, perform the following operation with SMF Converter and select the correct devices:
[Selection] -> [Setup] -> [MIDI Device].

click here to download the latest version of USB-MIDI driver.
[/FONT]

Reaction score
Its not the MIDI end ---Ive used MIDI of n on for 20 years and always keep a simple rule "out=in in=out" . Doesnt matter now both my win PC's have been bios shell hacked and wrecked for good----now have an iMac and its even harder to find such things--- (or its probably because im an iMac/Apple n00b....

The Y_man

Reaction score
I have a CTK-7000 (essentially same innards as the WK6500) and have found:

smf converter on the caiso website creates a CM2 file - which is not compatible with the WK6500 - so forget it.

To get a sequencer program to recognise the Casio files, I had to save it as an SMF on the Casio itself (I learnt that from this forum! Thanks people).

So for example, if I wanted a rhythm file, here's what I do:
- Record a "new song" on the onboard sequencer using the rhythm file.
- save the song as a SMF (Std Midi File) on the SD card and bring it over to the PC.
(Yup - real pain)

Going the other way
- to play a std Midi file on the keyboard, easiest way is just to use the SD card again.

To create a rhythm file from a MIDI file I do the following (may not be best method, but I din't know any other way yet!):

- download and install the IDES from http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/emi/cms/
- Use the IDES to conver a midi file to CKF using the "rhythm converter"
- Use Datamanager 6 to copy over to keyboard.

Ugly huh?

The Y-man

Reaction score
Man i sure wished I coulda homey-----
most of this is for windows 7----
maybe i will get lucky and find a way to run it on emulator for Touch-pad or sumthin :/
but TYVM!!!! for the heads-up bro! :)

Ask a Question