Need help!!

Reaction score
Hey, so I play bass in a cover band. I want to add live keyboards as well. I need something I can pre program for parts where I am playing bass at the same time. Or, if you have another solution I'm all ears. I just dont know what to get. Thanks everyone

Reaction score
Welcome.

Without breaking the Bank I would suggest you look at a Korg Kross 2 and a Roland Juno DS.

Look at the reviews online.

Korg have their Video Manuals for the Kross on Youtube whereas Roland have theirsfor the Juno listed as Product Support. These are get you started Video Tutorials that go into specific features of the keyboards

Good luck and do come back after you have followed up the advice the folks here will give you and let us kniw how you have got on.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I think most brands and models of keyboards can play back MIDI song files, so you can set them up to play by themselves while you play bass guitar.

Of course, the big issue with any kind of MIDI sequencing during a live performance will be keeping the MIDI playback and your group's drummer in time and in sync with each other.

You're likely to get a variety of suggestions, but we'll need an idea of your price range, and it might also help to know the type of music you'll be playing.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
To be honest I think if all he wants to do is play MIDI backing tracks then I think all he needs is a plain old laptop or an ipad playing back soft synths.

I'm not really clear on whether he actually wants to play keyboards or if he just wants to set up MIDI and WAV tracks to back up the band.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
To be honest I think if all he wants to do is play MIDI backing tracks then I think all he needs is a plain old laptop or an ipad playing back soft synths.

I'm not really clear on whether he actually wants to play keyboards or if he just wants to set up MIDI and WAV tracks to back up the band.

Gary ;)
Yeah, kinda just need to back up the band for most songs and be able to play a few live

Reaction score
I think most brands and models of keyboards can play back MIDI song files, so you can set them up to play by themselves while you play bass guitar.

Of course, the big issue with any kind of MIDI sequencing during a live performance will be keeping the MIDI playback and your group's drummer in time and in sync with each other.

You're likely to get a variety of suggestions, but we'll need an idea of your price range, and it might also help to know the type of music you'll be playing.
Country, rock, under 500$

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Under $500? I'd suggest just getting a cheap laptop or a used ipad and a 49 key USB MIDI Controller for the odd times you actually want to play a musical phrase.

The voicing and sequencing and playback can easily be handled by software.

Or else look around for a used Roland Juno Di or DS61

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I’m not familiar with what Roland and Korg have in the way of new (unused) keyboards for under $500, but the best you could get from Yamaha at that price would probably be the PSR-EW410, and the best you could get from Casio would probably be the CT-X5000.

Either one would let you play back MIDI song files, or record your own “backing tracks” to play back, as well as play live, with or without an auto-accompaniment, without needing to worry about taking a computer or laptop onstage.

But I would not recommend buying anything until you’ve had a chance to try it in a store, or if that isn’t possible then watch as many videos and read as many reviews as you can, in addition to carefully reviewing all available manuals for them (which you should be able to download from the manufacturers’ web sites)— and I would also check out whatever Korg and Roland have in your desired price range.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Nowadays I'm not recommending the Casio CT-X line for any pro applications.

The total absence of real MIDI ports delegates these instruments to "toy" status in my mind.

I seriously don't know what Casio was thinking when they started dropping the 5 pin DIN MIDI ports on their latest line but for the sake of saving $5 per board they have flown in the face of convention and gone back into the business of making musical toys for children. :eek:

Gary ;)

Reaction score
No midi? That gets right done to, "what's the point? ".
Especially in this day and age.
I won't even recommend a non midi keyboard to anyone.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
They do have MIDI— but it’s a USB-MIDI interface, not a pair or trio of MIDI ports (In/Out, or In/Out/Thru). So to say that they are “non-MIDI” keyboards is a misconception. It would be nice if they had both types of ports— MIDI DIN plus USB-MIDI/audio/data— but more and more keyboards and controllers for the home user are going with USB-only ports.

Reaction score
So what you MIDI guys are saying is that the Op now needs to spend hours learning how to use a DAW, hours learning about MIDI, hours learning about MIDI interfaces, hours learning about connections, hours practicing and creating the samples, then hours learning how to trigger said samples in a live concert.

You are setting the Op quite a task.

The danger of essentially backing tracks is time keeping by the live performers especially drums and bass, soon drift occurs and discordant sound becomes (in a Yoda voice).

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
They do have MIDI— but it’s a USB-MIDI interface, not a pair or trio of MIDI ports (In/Out, or In/Out/Thru). So to say that they are “non-MIDI” keyboards is a misconception. It would be nice if they had both types of ports— MIDI DIN plus USB-MIDI/audio/data— but more and more keyboards and controllers for the home user are going with USB-only ports.

More and more CHEAP keyboards are going with USB only.

However, for professional application I don't recommend a device unless it has BOTH USB MIDI and DIN MIDI or at least DIN MIDI.

Otherwise the user has to blow an extra $200 on connecting hardware to hook it up to a drum machine or a module or a sequencer.

This is the type of cutting corners which I do NOT consider acceptable on pro gear.

For me, the new Casio CT-X line is a huge fail and a step backwards to the cheapo Chinese tablehooters that they used to sell to 5 year olds.

I don't care how good the sound set may be, it simply doesn't belong on a professional stage. :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Cheap crap they are. User friendly not are they. The force is weak in them. Beware. They will ultimately fall to the dark side. Stay with 3 midi ports you must. This is the true way. To become a true master one must stay with the midi force! DAWs are difficult but not impossible. All must monitor together to stay true. Backing tracks feel not. Feel come from the heart, does it not? One must become one with the backing tracks. But beware! There is darkness here. However, if cautious one is, backing tracks open one to the force of unity.
Dancers rejoice! Good, music can be! Be true to the beat for the beat one is true to the force!

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
If a keyboard must have MIDI DIN ports in order to belong on a professional stage, then I guess acoustic grand pianos have no legitimate place in the professional musical universe. Why, they don't even have audio output jacks for connecting to loudspeakers! The posers! ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Alright then Mike.

Let's book this duet at Carnegie Hall ASAP!!! :D :D :D

IMG_1373.jpg

Gary ;)

Reaction score
And don't forget Hammond Organs! Junk, I say! Those old clunkers even have tubes in them! Tubes? Tubes are for toothpaste!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Kid around all you like guys. :)

However...

To route a DIN MIDI port to a computer takes a $5 interface. To route to another device takes a $5 cable.

To route a USB MIDI port to another device requires either a computer or a $150 USB MIDI HOST.

You make your own decisions on which is more desirable to have in a keyboard. :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
For somewhere between $400 and $500, you can buy a used Casio PX-350 from Guitar Center. A new one goes for $600.

That has auto-chording, accompaniment patterns, full General MIDI soundset (and more), and real (DIN) MIDI ports. There's multi-track MIDI recording capability.

It doesn't have editable sounds, and the "synth" sounds are limited. IMHO, the EP's and acoustic pianos are OK for band use.

. Charles (who owns a PX-350)

Reaction score
If a keyboard must have MIDI DIN ports in order to belong on a professional stage, then I guess acoustic grand pianos have no legitimate place in the professional musical universe. Why, they don't even have audio output jacks for connecting to loudspeakers! The posers! ;)
but there not electonic keyboards.......

Ask a Question