Need to send Midi Sysex on DS

Reaction score
I need to send general CC #80 on the pitch bend wheel of the DS-61 to another midi keyboard.
Has anyone done something like this?
If you have some instructions on how to set and which menu selections it would be great thanks.

Reaction score
CC80 is not sysex (CCs and sysex are different things).

But AFAIK, you can't program the pitch bend to do anything but pitch bend.

Possibly an external device between the two boards could let you do this (like a BomeBox, or a MIDI Solutions Event Processor, or an iPad running an app that can remap MIDI, like Keystage).

But with pitch bend being a "special case" within MIDI controllers, I'm not even sure that will do it. Why does it have to be the pitch bender? The DS has assignable knobs that would be better suited for mapping as desired.

Reaction score
thanks yea I'm probably not using the right terminology but it does need to be #CC80.
I know I can get a $150 midisolutions box but I hate to spend that just for one single purpose that I don't necessarily need.
Just thought there would be a way to send custom midi messages with midi keyboards. Just seemed logical since they already send and receive note and pedal and pitch bend commands.
Why can they send CC messages as well?

I had a roland Juno hooked up to an E-MU and the E-MU received pitch bend messages from it without any programming.
I could also do internal patch cords on the E-MU so that it could route pitch bend CCs to LFOs and other stuff.

Reaction score
Just thought there would be a way to send custom midi messages with midi keyboards. Just seemed logical since they already send and receive note and pedal and pitch bend commands.
Why can they send CC messages as well?
They often can. Like I said, the Juno DS has 4 assignable knobs, you can make them send any CC you want. But pitch bend is a special case (it is neither MIDI CC nor sysex, it is its own thing), and I don't know that I've ever seen a board that lets you use the pitch bender for anything other than pitch bending.

I had a roland Juno hooked up to an E-MU and the E-MU received pitch bend messages from it without any programming.
Yes, pitch bend is a standard, that generally works across all boards (except boards that don't support pitch bending at all).

I could also do internal patch cords on the E-MU so that it could route pitch bend CCs to LFOs and other stuff.
Pitch bend is not a CC, but if the E-MU let you route pitch bend commands to do something else, cool. That's not common, IME.

Ask a Question