Need Assistance. What MIDI Controller keyboard for Roland U20 keyboard with Alesis MMT8 Sequencer ?

Reaction score
Hello, back in the 90's I sequenced a lot of material I want to bring back to life.
I used a Roland U20 keyboard , sequenced it all on an Alesis MMT8 and saved all the material on a Midi Disc drive to floppy disks.

All the midi data is in old Sys Ex format. The problem is that many keys no longer work on the Roland, so I plan to get a Midi controller 61 key keyboard to take the place of the Roland keys. I've never done this before, so I assume you run a midi out cable ( not USB) from the Midi controller to the Roland and from there, run a Midi out from the Roland to the Midi IN on the Alesis MMT8 like I used to do. To run the Roland keyboard, You go MIDI out from the MMT8 sequencer back into the MIDI IN on the Roland. There's no reason that the Midi Controller needs to have a MIDI IN jack is there ?

I need to go cheap, so is there a MIDI Controller 61 keyboard that you'd recommend me looking at ?

Thanks !
Jim

Reaction score
Sorry but wrong requirements, “cheap” does not work, been there tried them and they suck.

I have an M Audio Oxygen the Pro version, it has a semi weighted keybed which feels as good as my top of the range Korg keybed.

Reaction score
Sorry but wrong requirements, “cheap” does not work, been there tried them and they suck.

I have an M Audio Oxygen the Pro version, it has a semi weighted keybed which feels as good as my top of the range Korg keybed.
Thanks.. The cheap ones don't last or what are some of the complaints ?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
For your purposes it all depends on whether you are an experienced player or whether you are just tapping a few musical phrases into your sequencers.

Biggles is a bit of a keyboard snob these days ever since he sank his grandkids' college fund into a $5000 keyboard :p ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
And most controllers with DIN MIDI jacks usually only have a MIDI OUT. They do not produce sound. You need some kind of MIDI device to be a sound engine. (computer, synthesizer, module, etc...)

Reaction score
For your purposes it all depends on whether you are an experienced player or whether you are just tapping a few musical phrases into your sequencers.

Biggles is a bit of a keyboard snob these days ever since he sank his grandkids' college fund into a $5000 keyboard :p ;)
Thanks, I'm somewhere in the middle, but finances are hurting so I have to go the cheap(er) route. If I can get somewhere in the ball park of what my Roland is , for action, I'll be fine.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Amazon has a no quibble return policy.

Why not try a couple out.

Best Buy might have a floor demo to try as well.

Cheaper boards might skimp on the CPU causing lag issues.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Weighted or semi-weighted keys have the best feel.

Generally speaking, you can't go wrong with anything using a Fatar keybed.

Also, take a look at some older synths on the used market for a deal.

Reaction score
At less than £200 the MAudio Oxygen Pro that I quoted is not exactly breaking the Bank.

A crappy Arturial Essential is a similar price.

A Nektar Impact is £150 and has a sponge feel to its keybed with slow key return.

Novation Impulse £250, nice feel of keybed, solid controls

My local Music Store had all the above on display and the MAudio was by far the most robust build and had the best keybed feel, you do get what you pay for.

I agree with Gary, buy off Amazon if you want to go cheaper

Ie
MAudio Keystation £111

Alesis V31 £134

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I won't buy anything from Amazon. I'll probably avoid getting an older synth only because I'm worried about having a similar problem I had with my old Roland that was working fine about 4 years ago, and then out of the blue, after not using it for a while, several keys don't work, I don't have any space where I can take it apart to get to the keys and I was the local keyboard tech guy where I live now said it would cost me too much for him to redo it. I'll give all your suggestions a look and something with semi weighted keys should be OK.

Regarding the sequencer, do you know of anything that will read the Sys Ex MIDI data that's stored on the MMT8 if I get another sequencer ?

Reaction score
Ok, how about this question:

Some of these MIDI Keyboard controllers have the Printer style USB connector instead of the old MIDI jacks for the MIDI chords. My Roland doesn't have the USB jack, just the MIDI jack. Any problems getting or using a MIDI adapter from USB to MIDI cable ?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, it's ALWAYS better to buy a keyboard with DIN MIDI ports as well as USB.

This can solve compatibility issues and save on cable snarl.

Reaction score
BTW, it's ALWAYS better to buy a keyboard with DIN MIDI ports as well as USB.

This can solve compatibility issues and save on cable snarl.
That would be my first choice too. If I get an old midi keyboard that has the IN / OUT MIDI ports, no USB and no pitch bend wheel, is there a stand alone pitch bend that you know of that could hook into the MIDI IN port ?

Also....If I get a MIDI Keyboard controller that only has the USB printer style jack (female), that needs to go to the MIDI IN DIN port on the Roland U20, do you think an adapter would work ?

Thanks again.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Type your questions into Google if you want answers to everything.. Time to start doing a little homework on your own. (teach a man to fish)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There's at least a hundred similar controller questions here on the forum.

Why not read the same answers we'd have to type for the 1 hundred first time and save us the trouble.

Reaction score

i aggree with you biggles i also have the same oxygen pro 61 and its action is fantastic + it has many other good features like aftertouch etc. well worth the money at around £200. i use mine with a roland SE02 also a very good "moog style clone"

Reaction score
At less than £200 the MAudio Oxygen Pro that I quoted is not exactly breaking the Bank.

A crappy Arturial Essential is a similar price.

A Nektar Impact is £150 and has a sponge feel to its keybed with slow key return.

Novation Impulse £250, nice feel of keybed, solid controls

My local Music Store had all the above on display and the MAudio was by far the most robust build and had the best keybed feel, you do get what you pay for.

I agree with Gary, buy off Amazon if you want to go cheaper

Ie
MAudio Keystation £111

Alesis V31 £134
um wouldnt get the keystation i had one. action horendusly stiff and heavey. thats why i replaced it (gave it away to a friend) with their oxygen pro 61 which has a far better action. very light but solidly semi weighted .

Ask a Question