New, T5 Owner

Reaction score
I'm a T5 owner in an olde accordion players skin. The squeezebox just got too cumbersome to play anymore, not to mention that the phalanges have shifted into a slower gear these days. When my father-in law used to listen to me play he would say that I was pretty good at "tickling the ivory's". If nothing else, I am sure that my playing was at least entertaining to him.
With these newer synths and arranger keyboards I have discovered that now I can let the keyboard do most of the work while I relax and stab away at the keys. Great inventions these arrangers! So....accordion....to Casio....to Yamaha T5. What a progression...but an enjoyable one.
The previous owner of this keyboard was a home musician who purchased it new a few years back and has since moved on to a Genos. I see on the forums that some of the other musicians that have done this want their old T5's back. I guess like with everything else, there are going to be some glitches with the new and improved model. That is why there are "updates".
This looks to be a great place to hang out with some very helpful people involved giving out great information. I am looking forward to the interaction. BTW....if I can be of any assistance to anyone please don't hesitate to reach out.
Happy New Year to All,
Rich

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
It's good to have you with us, Rich! Happy New Year to you, as well. :)

Reaction score
Welcome to you Rich. I will be looking at upgrading my Casio in the near future as well. If a great deal on a WK-7600 comes along I might grab that but I as well am looking at the T-5. LOL I did find a Lowrey Royal for under 2 grand the other day....but it is not very portable so I think I'll just stick to a duel keyboard set up for now.

Reaction score
Welcome to you Rich. I will be looking at upgrading my Casio in the near future as well. If a great deal on a WK-7600 comes along I might grab that but I as well am looking at the T-5. LOL I did find a Lowrey Royal for under 2 grand the other day....but it is not very portable so I think I'll just stick to a duel keyboard set up for now.

RedBeard,

Going from a Casio to a Tyros 5 was a bigger step than I ever imagined! I feel that with all this "new" keyboard has to offer I will never outgrow it. I must say, it is fun and challenging learning how to "arrange", even if I'm not a pro. If you get one of these you will not regret it for one second.

With that all said I know there are other keyboards out there offering similar features and capabilities. You really can't go wrong with any of them. What conclusively sold me on the Yamaha T5 was the sound. It just came across with more purity in the voicing than any of the other arranger keyboards I listened to. I am fortunate to have found this one in "like new" condition.

I am sure you already know that Reverb.com is an excellent source for both new and preowned keyboards at fair market prices. Keep me posted as to how you make out...and, if you have any questions about the T5, please don't hesitate to ask. I will try to answer them as best I can for you.

Regards,
Rich

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Welcome Rich. A tardy welcome but still . . .
Glad you are here. All tyros owners will benefit your experiences to share I am sure. They look like complicated instruments.
Ray

Reaction score
RedBeard,

Going from a Casio to a Tyros 5 was a bigger step than I ever imagined! I feel that with all this "new" keyboard has to offer I will never outgrow it. I must say, it is fun and challenging learning how to "arrange", even if I'm not a pro. If you get one of these you will not regret it for one second.

With that all said I know there are other keyboards out there offering similar features and capabilities. You really can't go wrong with any of them. What conclusively sold me on the Yamaha T5 was the sound. It just came across with more purity in the voicing than any of the other arranger keyboards I listened to. I am fortunate to have found this one in "like new" condition.

I am sure you already know that Reverb.com is an excellent source for both new and preowned keyboards at fair market prices. Keep me posted as to how you make out...and, if you have any questions about the T5, please don't hesitate to ask. I will try to answer them as best I can for you.

Regards,
Rich
Thank you Rich, I will keep your offer of help in mind. I have recently been looking at the PSR-SX900. Seems that there are so many great options out there. Playing them, before I buy one, will be the deciding factor when I get to that point.

Reaction score
Thank you Rich, I will keep your offer of help in mind. I have recently been looking at the PSR-SX900. Seems that there are so many great options out there. Playing them, before I buy one, will be the deciding factor when I get to that point.

Watching the manufacturers video tutorials will greatly aid you in learning about the SX.

The Yamaha SX is vastly superior to their S series but do check out Korg which has their Pa1000 at a similar price point and it is imho is vastly superior.

Reaction score

The Yamaha PSR series of keyboards are in essence the Tyros/Genos with fewer features, voices and styles. I've played several of them and the quality of the Tyros can be heard in every one. Moving up to the Tyros gathers "everything" Yamaha had developed in arranger keyboards, up to that time (orig Tyros - T5), into one extraordinary package...although an expensive one. When deciding to look for a replacement keyboard, I also considered, if somehow I could get my hands on a T5, it would be quite some time before I would outgrow it, especially with its expansion capabilities.

Unfortunately, the new cost of a T5 was w...a...y out of my reach so, I began the long search for a well cared for, preowned, home unit. I stayed away from music store demonstrators, refurbished units, or units that were rented out to bands or studios for gigs. I've seen a few of those keyboards and some were pretty scary. BTW: the gentleman I purchased my keyboard from put in writing that if anything about the keyboard he was selling me didn't appear or function as new, I could return it to him, no questions asked, and he would issue me a full refund, including the return shipping cost. It arrived exactly as he described!

Since I've purchased my keyboard I've added over 1000 styles to it (USB), and there are still lots more available out there for download. I've also added a JBL, 3 pc studio monitor/sub speaker system (fantastic units). Finally, I would like to say (and this resulted more by accident) that I am overly pleased with having 76 keys rather than 61 keys. It is not something I thought I would much need, or even want.....but now that they are there, I use those 15 extra keys all the time, especially when playing the orchestral, string voices.

Whether a PSR, a Tyros/Genos, or any of the other professional quality arranger keyboards on the market today, they all have their own personalities, strengths and weaknesses. Get what you think will suite you, your budget and your playing style. I wouldn't shy away from a pre-owned unit as long as it has not been abused or needs repair of any kind. Good luck in your search!

Rich

Reaction score
Hello Rich,

I have had my Yamaha T5 for 3 years and was going to upgrade to the Genos but after reviewing it I decided to keep the T5 and buy a new Korg Pa4X. The price I paid for the Korg was less than I would have paid to upgrade to the Genos. Now I have two great sounding keyboards. If you have any questions about the T5 please feel free to contact me.

Regards,

ed3player

Reaction score
Hello Rich,

I have had my Yamaha T5 for 3 years and was going to upgrade to the Genos but after reviewing it I decided to keep the T5 and buy a new Korg Pa4X. The price I paid for the Korg was less than I would have paid to upgrade to the Genos. Now I have two great sounding keyboards. If you have any questions about the T5 please feel free to contact me.

Regards,

ed3player

Thanks for chiming in! The Korg Pa4X appears to be a fantastic keyboard, loaded with cool features, at a very competitive price point. It is hard to pass that combination up. As the owner of both the Pa4X and the T5 have you found that one is generally easier to operate than the other? Have you found that you prefer the action of the keys, one over the other? Which one do you gravitate toward if you are just gonna sit down to play something quick?

My brother is a very accomplished guitar player and his collection of guitars is varied and numerous (he has more money than me). However, he definitely has a favorite guitar that he picks up when he just wants to sit down and zone out. It's his Gretsch Teardrop which he purchased brand new in 1967! It still looks new, other than a bit of finish wear in the common places. I envy him for that. What history those two have together. I am just the opposite. I went through a bunch of accordions in my younger days, always trading in the old for the newer. The last accordion I had in 2000 was a Crummer Electronic Accordion which was the beginning of true electronic voicing in an accordion package. Back then it would have been hard to imagine a keyboard instrument having the capabilities like we have in the Pa4X and T5 today. It's even more difficult to imagine where these instruments will be in another 20 years.

When I was looking around for an arranger style keyboard, I liked that each manufacturer for each model, presented something that was a little different than what the other guy offered. I found myself saying, "if this keyboard only had that feature....or if that keyboard only had this feature". It was difficult to narrow the choice down to one. And that is why I asked the questions above. It must be cool to have two great arranger keyboards where you get to enjoy the unique offerings of each. If you don't mind, could you let us know some of the things you like or dislike about each of the units. Much appreciated...and good luck with your Pa4X!

Rich

Reaction score
To help you fast track learning about your PA4X check out this website.

It is run by Korg UK who until the CV19 pandemic have been hosting a live interactive webinar every month.

These are broadcast live at 17:00 UK time but are available to view post event.

Korgworld.co.uk is the Korg UK’s website specifically for Pa but they also have a new Synth Show webinar broadcast along the same lines as the Arranger Show

Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in! The Korg Pa4X appears to be a fantastic keyboard, loaded with cool features, at a very competitive price point. It is hard to pass that combination up. As the owner of both the Pa4X and the T5 have you found that one is generally easier to operate than the other? Have you found that you prefer the action of the keys, one over the other? Which one do you gravitate toward if you are just gonna sit down to play something quick?

My brother is a very accomplished guitar player and his collection of guitars is varied and numerous (he has more money than me). However, he definitely has a favorite guitar that he picks up when he just wants to sit down and zone out. It's his Gretsch Teardrop which he purchased brand new in 1967! It still looks new, other than a bit of finish wear in the common places. I envy him for that. What history those two have together. I am just the opposite. I went through a bunch of accordions in my younger days, always trading in the old for the newer. The last accordion I had in 2000 was a Crummer Electronic Accordion which was the beginning of true electronic voicing in an accordion package. Back then it would have been hard to imagine a keyboard instrument having the capabilities like we have in the Pa4X and T5 today. It's even more difficult to imagine where these instruments will be in another 20 years.

When I was looking around for an arranger style keyboard, I liked that each manufacturer for each model, presented something that was a little different than what the other guy offered. I found myself saying, "if this keyboard only had that feature....or if that keyboard only had this feature". It was difficult to narrow the choice down to one. And that is why I asked the questions above. It must be cool to have two great arranger keyboards where you get to enjoy the unique offerings of each. If you don't mind, could you let us know some of the things you like or dislike about each of the units. Much appreciated...and good luck with your Pa4X!

Rich
Hello Rich,

Having had the T5 for three years I am more familiar with it and that makes it easier to use. I have only had the Korg Pa4X for two months and am still learning the Korg software which is much different from the Yamaha. The more I play the Korg the more I like it and it sounds great as does the T5. The T5 has a softer sound than the Korg which has a cleaner sharper sound. If I am just going to play for pleasure I tend to use the T5. When trying new songs I have been using the Korg. The Korg has a feature that is not available on the T5, it will convert a MIDI song file to a keyboard style which works great as long as the MIDI is good quality. As far as touch both keyboards feel great but there is a difference that I notice when switching back and forth which sometimes causes some problems with timing until I have played a few songs.

As a former manager of a Yamaha service center the only problems we saw with Yamaha keyboards was on the PSR series rubber keybed strips which would split and have to be replaced. We serviced all keyboard brands and never got a Korg unit in for service and bands prefer them as they are very reliable. The keyboard brand that was most often in the shop was Kurweil. which has weighted keys and the plastic holding the weights is poor quality and breaks easily requiring a complete keybed re-build.

The only thing I would have gotten from an upgrade from the T5 to the Genos would be a touch screen. The Korg PaX4 has a touch screen which I like.

Regards,

ed3player

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
problems we saw with Yamaha keyboards was on the PSR series rubber keybed strips which would split and have to be replaced.
This is a worry! My PSR S 650 is getting on in years now and gets a daily thrashing. Will the splitting strips just give out one day without notice? Should they be replaced now before I encounter problems?
Is it a costly repair?
Thanks Ray

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
This is a worry! My PSR S 650 is getting on in years now and gets a daily thrashing. Will the splitting strips just give out one day without notice? Should they be replaced now before I encounter problems?
Is it a costly repair?
Thanks Ray

Ray >>> Don't worry about it until the keyboard actually has trouble playing a note, either too loudly or not at all. Even then it might only need a cleaning but if the rubber strips fail They are a relatively simple job to replace. Not to say you can't f*** it up but if you're handy with a screwdriver and carefully document the disassembly so you don't reverse anything reassembling it you'll be OK.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Ray >>> Don't worry about it until the keyboard actually has trouble playing a note, either too loudly or not at all. Even then it might only need a cleaning but if the rubber strips fail They are a relatively simple job to replace. Not to say you can't f*** it up but if you're handy with a screwdriver and carefully document the disassembly so you don't reverse anything reassembling it you'll be OK.

Gary ;)
Ray,

The hardest part of replacing a contact strip is disassembly and reassembly. Once you get to the keybed replacing the strips are easy and they cost about $12 each. If you do this yourself search for a service manual and follow the disassembly and reassembly instructions and use a divided container to keep the parts separate. If you take your keyboard to a shop for this type of service expect a $100-$150 bill.

Regards,

Ed

Ask a Question