No MIDI

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a Roland XP 30. I have been using it with MIDI for years. The MIDI has stopped working. Of course, I changed cables, and I even bypassed my computer and MIDI interface. Specifically, I simply attached a MIDI cable from the MIDI out of another keyboard into the MIDI in of the Roland. I made sure to match the MIDI channel. The Roland is on Local control, so when I hit the keys on it, I CAN hear sounds. However, when I play from another keyboard, I hear nothing. When I then take the same cable and plug it from the non-Roland keyboard into a third keyboard--and match the MIDI channels, I can hear sounds being played in that 3rd keyboard.
I did move the Roland recently, though just within the same room. I'm thinking that perhaps I hit some button, which is disabling MIDI.
ANy ideas, or any thoughts about who else I might ask.
Thanks.
LNovik

Reaction score
Hi Gary,
Thanks for that tip. However, when I was working with this yesterday, I did see that switch and I DID switch it from MAC to MIDI. I'm not sure it even matters, since I have nothing hooked up to the round receptacle in that computer area on the back of the keyboard. The bottom line is that moving this to MIDI did not help my problem. Do you or anyone else have any other ideas?
LNovik

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
You might want to run a MIDI cable from the XP-30's MIDI Out to its MIDI In, turn off Local Control, and see if playing on the XP-30's keyboard produces any sounds. That won't fix anything, but it will at least help you verify whether or not there's a problem with the XP-30's MIDI ports. Moving the XP-30 shouldn't have damaged the ports, but if perhaps you'd had a MIDI cable plugged in while moving it and the cable got jerked, who knows?

Also, verify the mode you've selected for the Sound Source. If you're matching the MIDI channels between the two keyboards, then I take it you want to use Patch Mode, but you might try switching to Performance Mode to see if that makes any difference.

Reaction score
I went back to the keyboard again today, and the whole process seemed to work. That is, the setup I had before. The only thing I can think of is that, though I did on and off the Roland yesterday in hopes of resetting or rebooting everything, I didn't turn off the other synths. All I know is that it seemed to work fine tonite.
Thanks for your input. I was looking forward to trying the MIDI out to MIDI in on the Roland, but, as I said, it seemed to be working before I had a chance to do this.
LNovik

Reaction score
Larry

What you discovered applies to most (all ?) DAW software, as well. If you power the keyboard off and back on, or if you disconnect and reconnect the keyboard with the DAW software running, you will have to close the DAW program and re-open it, with the keyboard powered on and connected, in order to re-establish communications.

Last edited:

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
I remember the day when keyboards weren't basically specialized computers. But now a days keyboards are computers. A general fix for all computers is to reboot them. It works for keyboards, too, far more often than it should.

Ask a Question