nord electro 3 purchase advice

Reaction score
I'm considering buying the Electro 3 at a good discounted price. I'm hesitant cause I'm not thrilled with the acoustic piano sounds especially in the higher octaves. I like mostly everything else though. I want to be able to use it as a gigging keyboard and not have to lug around another. It's nice and light!

• My question is, do the downloadable piano sounds from Nords library, make much of a difference in the piano sounds? I like using a regular piano sound on a number of our band's songs.
I'm also looking to try the new Jupiter 50 when it comes to the stores.

Reaction score
When I made my keyboard purchase decision a year ago the finalists were the NE3 and the Kurz PC3. I went with the PC3 as it was a better fit for me. As I recall the Nord piano library had a piano download called the Imperial Grand. All indications are that this piano sounds good, top to bottom. This piano comes in four sizes and obviously the larger the size loaded the better it will sound. Not sure how big of a sample you will be able to load in the NE3 since you also have other sounds you will also want to load. Figure out the approximate size of the piano you can fit then go here and check out how it will sound:

http://www.nordkeyboards.com/main.a...libr=Nord_Piano_Library_v5&clplib=Grand_Piano

Reaction score
Thanks Dave! I have tried the PC3 and think it is a great board, but unfortunately the weight is a problem. I have a lot of stairs to climb. I realize I may have to make a sacrafice in my choice. The Imperial Grand in the Nord library does sound better.

Reaction score
It looks as though Nord has a new piano in the library called the bright piano which sounds a little crisper/richer but appears to be the same 'size' as the imperial grand. Might want to check this one out as well.

Reaction score
I spent 2 1/2 hrs or so at Guitar Center trying out some keyboards. Mostly trying to decide whether or not to buy a Nord Electro 3 73. I still can't decide at this point. I guess I was expecting more from the Nord.

I know what the buzz is about the B3 sounds and all, but I wasn't all that impressed. It didn't help that just above the Nord was a Hammond SK1, which I thought was awesome. It had all the organ sounds I like and was easy to manipulate and light in weight. But the Hammond was really good for the organ sounds but it's other voices, probably as expected weren't any good.

The Kurzweil Sp (a bit lighter-25lbs) keyboard sounded decent but didn't nearly have the variety of the PC3 series.

Maybe I'm expecting to much. Maybe that I found out mycar needs $1000 of repair work influenced my indecision. I think I'll live with what I have for now. :(

Just thought I'd share my experiences with deciding

Reaction score
Same reason i didnt buy the keyboard. It did not impress me and i couldn't justify spending $1800 on it. For $500 less i bought the PC3 and in my opinion the PC3 beats it in all categories except D6 clav and weight. Considering that i gigged for 11 years with a 72 pound stage piano the 37 pounds for me is a breeze.

Avoid the Kurz SP series, it doesn't sound nearly as good as the PC3.

Ask a Question