Nord electro 6D 73 vs Yamaha MODX7

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm considering buying new keyboard/synthesizer and I can't deside which one I wan't or need. I gig sometimes and I play mainly piano so it needs to have great piano sound but I don't want 88 keys because it's too heavy to carry around. :) I played both of those keyboards and I liked both. Very usable sounds for me on both. (Organs, pads, synths etc.)

Few things I am thinking right now:
-Nord costs more but has better resale value?
-Yamaha has nice touchscreen and Nord is somewhat confusing? (Never had Nord products)
-Nord seems to be more rugged and built to last and Yamaha seems to be flimsy?

I'm having tough time with these.. Please help me and give your opinion! :D And am I missing some great options in addition to these? Budget is around 1000-2000e and I want around seventy keys, 61 or so is too few.

Greetings from Finland, Pekka V

Reaction score
Both have good piano sounds, which is better is subjective. Nord is better than MODX for organ, and for real-time direct manipulation on-the-fly, particularly of effects and of assembling split and layered combinations. Yamaha is better for, well, pretty much everything else. It's much more flexible in its splits/layers, has better synth functionality (pitch and mod controls, fully modifiable filters and envelopes, portamento, etc.), is more flexible in how it can control other sounds over MIDI as well as how it can be controlled over MIDI, has better other acoustic instrument sounds (strings, brass, winds, etc.). Since piano is a focus, the biggest issue for you might be that, while neither has a great action for piano, the Nord action is better than the Yamaha action in this case.

I would also look at the Vox Continental 73 and the Numa Compact 2X, both under 20 lbs and at least 73 keys with actions that are reasonably playable for piano. Both have good quality pianos, organs, and synths, but the organ rotary effect and overdrive on the Numa are weak, so I would supplement it with an external rotary pedal like a Neo Ventilator or at a lower budget, an Electro Harmonix Lester K.

Reaction score
Welcome

Quite a spread of prices on the two keyboards, I have not tried the 6D but I have tried other models and I do like the sounds, construction and feel of the Nord keybeds.

MODX7 £1050 & 7.4kg

Nord 6D 73 £1500 & 9.2kg

Here in the UK but I would add to your list:-

Roland Juno DS 76 £650 & 6.9 kg and it is very well equiped and has upgrade potential via the Roland Axial website where there are dozens of additions patches available for free.

Not sure why you should quote resale value!

Yamaha, you state it is flimsy are I totally agree with you and for that very reason I would not buy a Yamaha.

Can I ask if you have played one and in particular if you have delved into the Menu system?

If you have not had this pleasure can I suggest that you test it out.

Reaction score
I like the DS, but don't think its piano sounds are as good as the Nord or the Yamaha, nor do I find it to be one of the better actions for piano even as non-hammer actions go.

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm considering buying new keyboard/synthesizer and I can't deside which one I wan't or need. I gig sometimes and I play mainly piano so it needs to have great piano sound but I don't want 88 keys because it's too heavy to carry around. :) I played both of those keyboards and I liked both. Very usable sounds for me on both. (Organs, pads, synths etc.)

Few things I am thinking right now:
-Nord costs more but has better resale value?
-Yamaha has nice touchscreen and Nord is somewhat confusing? (Never had Nord products)
-Nord seems to be more rugged and built to last and Yamaha seems to be flimsy?

I'm having tough time with these.. Please help me and give your opinion! :D And am I missing some great options in addition to these? Budget is around 1000-2000e and I want around seventy keys, 61 or so is too few.

Greetings from Finland, Pekka V
Ok...I have a Yamaha (make that 2) stage pianos, a Nord Electro 6D and a Kurzweil Artis. Hands down, the Yamaha for pianos. First of all a lot less expensive, next, keyboard feel is closest to real grad as well as sound. I have Yamaha P255, approximately 35lbs...and if I wanted, I could play an entire gig with just this keyboard and a bit of iPad programming. Next, Kurzweil Artis 7....complete gig machine. Can do splits and layers in 4 different sections. However, keyboard sucks...they used a spring loaded Fatar action that I don’t like but can make do with. Then there’s the Nord Electro 6 that I got to replace my Electro 4. I might be the only guy in the world that is disappointed in this board. Lots of money with some serious split and layer limitations...and as compared to Electro 4, organ sounds need lots of tweaking and programming.

Reaction score
Pukka,
I demoed a Nord 6D 73 for a week or so. I sent it back. I’ve tried several boards. I’m primarily interested in good piano sound with strings and pads. Not interested in organs right now. I also wasn’t sure about graded hammer action or synth action. I finally decided on the MODX7. 76 key synth action. I love the action. Great piano sounds included the Bodendorger offered free of charge from Yamaha. The super knob is great also. It’s around $1600 US. Check out some YouTube videos. I hope this helps. Also very light weight and doesn’t feel cheap.

Reaction score
Pukka,
I demoed a Nord 6D 73 for a week or so. I sent it back. I’ve tried several boards. I’m primarily interested in good piano sound with strings and pads. Not interested in organs right now. I also wasn’t sure about graded hammer action or synth action. I finally decided on the MODX7. 76 key synth action. I love the action. Great piano sounds included the Bodendorger offered free of charge from Yamaha. The super knob is great also. It’s around $1600 US. Check out some YouTube videos. I hope this helps. Also very light weight and doesn’t feel cheap.
I own them both, the nord d6 and the modx8 must say love them both!!! 2 different animals! That both sounds amazing!!!

Reaction score
I like the DS, but don't think its piano sounds are as good as the Nord or the Yamaha, nor do I find it to be one of the better actions for piano even as non-hammer actions go.

Certainly they are at two different levels. Plus, both Nord and Modx comes with an actual organ engine, while JunoDS does not (just patches based on pre-recorded sounds). I think StudioLogic NumaCompact 2X is a great option for both piano and organ, but I've heard the leslie emulation is kind of weak, and the split/layer functionality is limited compared with the ModX... after all NC2X is more a stage piano while ModX is a full featured workstation.

Reaction score
MODX does not include an organ engine, but it has better organ than most boards that don't have organ engines, including an option to give you control over individual drawbars. (But since it uses a regular sample engine, using one of those sounds can eat up polyphony like mad!)

Just within the last couple of weeks, Numa release an updated Leslie emulation for the NumaCompact 2X. I haven't heard it. Yes, its split/layer functionality is limited... 2 sounds. Modx lets you split/layer up to 8 sounds.

Reaction score
MODX does not include an organ engine, but it has better organ than most boards that don't have organ engines, including an option to give you control over individual drawbars. (But since it uses a regular sample engine, using one of those sounds can eat up polyphony like mad!)

I was amazed by this! Thanks for the clarification.

Ask a Question