OMFG! They finally did it!

Reaction score
Korg absolutely rules! They recreated a beast form the past! I always wanted one but it was waaayyy out of my range whent I was 17 years old. I did get to play with one when I went to McMaster University. Big love here!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I posted this one in the NAMM 2020 thread already Jeremy. Check it out to see some other pre release goodies. Korg is being very active with new releases this month.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
That number my be right but you have to consider what it would have cost back in the day. IMHO it's a lot more affordable now. Still expensive but back then ,it was a car!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I have the free Arppe2600VA soft synth, plus the definitely-not-free Arturia ARP2600 V. Those will have to do. :(

Reaction score
People, just thinking - is it not an overkill? I mean if someone owns a Kronos (which has multiple synth engines (albeit digital emulations) + a Prophet or KingKorg or any of the other knobby synths, why choose something like the ARP 2600 which does not look portable even. Now, I am an amateur at this, but isn't there some sort of a redundancy these days?

Reaction score
People, just thinking - is it not an overkill? I mean if someone owns a Kronos (which has multiple synth engines (albeit digital emulations) + a Prophet or KingKorg or any of the other knobby synths, why choose something like the ARP 2600 which does not look portable even. Now, I am an amateur at this, but isn't there some sort of a redundancy these days?
Different strokes for different folks I think. Like you, for me the idea of owning an analogue synthesiser fills me with the chills - not the good kind - for a number of reasons.

But analogue synths are crazy popular these days and certain people have an almost visceral positive reaction to them. They are certainly fun to play with and they are capable of creating sounds that no digital simulation can 100% replicate. Plus for many people they have lot of nostalgia and retro chic value too.

If there wasn't a market for them, no-one would be making them.

Reaction score
I have a first generation Kronos and a King Korg but there is still something to be said for these analogue beasties. If I really had the money and time I'd be seriously looking into one of these and use it as a cornerstone to a modular rig.
For me,it might be a case of gear lust but I alos have an old Korg Polysix, sadly broken, but not having to go menu diving and just having one knob per function is a lot more fun than scrolling through pages to get the settings you want to adjust or tweak on the fly.
My 2 cents worth. Rounded up to a nickel!

Reaction score
Here's another demo of it. You have to get to about halfway through before he starts playing around but, wow! What a sound! Wonder what I could get for a kidney?;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here's something more in our price range that might ease the hunger pangs Jeremy.

Less than a thousand bux CDN so MUCH easier on the wallet.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I know about this one! Looks and sounds great. Truth be told, I'm not really in the market for another synth yet. I'm actually using my old Triton ProX as a table. I might one day break down and sell it but parting is difficult. I sometimes miss every keyboard I've ever gotten rid of. But where would I put them all if I still had them? I'd need a whole 'nother house!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I consider myself a Jack of all trade ins.

Before I buy a new piece of gear I'll sell off the equivalent in space and dollar value and upgrade to the new kit.

It's a philosophy that's worked well for me over the decades and in the process I've managed to build a formidable studio in my little two bedroom apartment.

Just be realistic, do an objective assessment and ask yourself which items have you used the least in the past year and start dumping accordingly. Put them up on Kijiji and Craigslist and within a month or two you'll have a sizable down payment on that magnificent new wotzit that you simply cannot live without :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Well that is a good thought. I do have some boards that I haven't used in a long time. Two of which I won't sell but I do need to get repaired.
My very old Mini Korg and my Polysix. The Minikorg I'm actually afraid to plug it in and turn it on. It's my very first synth. In my closet in a case I also have a broken Roland U-20. None of the "F" keys work. Or should I say none of the effing keys work? I discovered this at a gig.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The Roland U-20 is probably just dirty or oxidized connectors. Open it up and carefully remove the connectors one at a time, squirt on some contact cleaner and CAREFULLY reseat them. Take lots of photos and make sure you don't reverse or skew any connectors when reattaching them.

Anyway, here's another Korg video for you to drool over. :)

I really can't say I'm all that impressed. I can duplicate most of those sounds with my Neutron or Deepmind 6.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I'm quite sure there are a lot of synths out there now that con do what this does. I used to play one way back when I went to McMaster University. I just have a certain fondness for these old monsters. Must be my age. I really think there is something to be said for a "one knob one function" style. I'm also pretty sure that you can't really here the difference between and analogue and a digital emulation if it's a good enough emulation. The Rhodes sound on my Kronos sounds to me exactly like my old Mark 1 from the 70's. It farts and sings just like my old one did depending on how hard I played it.

Ask a Question