Oxygen 61 MKIV Keyboard midi channel transmit assign question

M

mrcumbia

Hello, I'm new here and was wondering if maybe anyone has any experience with the Oxygen 61 key MKIV midi controller.

Specifically I was reading through the manual and in page 7 under the channel assign section it says this.

Channel Assign: The Channel Assign function (Chan Asgn) assigns a knob, fader, button, wheel, or the sustain pedal to a
specific MIDI channel.

1. Press the Edit button.
2. Press the Select button or Control Select (Ctrl Sel) key.
3. Select the control as described earlier in this guide.
4. Press the Channel Assign (Chan Asgn) key. The LED display will show the currently assigned MIDI channel for the active control (for example, "c.0.2.").
5. Enter the new MIDI channel number using the number keys.
6. Press the Enter key. When assigned to channel "0", the control (knob, fader, button, wheel, or sustain pedal) will transmit on the Global MIDI Channel. See the next section, "Global Channel" for more information.

The thing is I am wondering if this means that if I were to assign the 9 buttons under the faders each to midi channels 1-9, would that mean that when I press
each button the keyboard is now transmitting exclusively on that channel only? This is really what I am needing the keyboard to do so that I can change
patches each assigned to an individual midi channel for live playing quickly.

Any feedback would greatly be appreciated.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The Channel Assign function will affect only the selected control, not the keyboard as a whole.

If you are trying to change the channel that the keyboard as a whole is transmitting on, I think you'll want to use the Global Channel function. I don't know about switching the Global Channel "instantly" during a performance; you might need to switch to Edit mode to do it.

Note that I don't have any experience with the Oxygen controllers, so I'm really not sure about its capabilities and limitations.

Some M-Audio controllers (such as their Axiom line of controllers) let you save an entire setup configuration to a given memory, then recall different memorized setups when you want-- but I don't see any mention of that ability in the Oxygen's manual.

Some M-Audio controllers (such as the Axiom) also let you define "zones" that can be assigned to different channels, to make it easier to control (play) multiple sound presets or external devices-- but, again, I don't see any mention of that ability in the Oxygen's manual.

M

mrcumbia

I figured that that’s what it probably meant.

I really do appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. I do have an old Roland Juno D that lets me do the channel transmit change thing at the press of a button when in performance mode and part select is chosen. The thing is it’s getting pretty old and I am worried about reliability.

Some songs I play have at least 5 different sounds and this feature does come in handy. Currently I’m using the iPad app Bismark BS-16i with soundfonts assigned to different midi channels and also the Korg iM1 iPad app in combination mode also with different sounds on each midi channel. It sure beats having to take 5 keyboards to each gig instead of just one.

I was just wondering if maybe there were any midi keyboards that had that same feature. If anybody comes across a midi controller that has that function, please don’t hesitate to let me know.

Once again thanks.

Reaction score
I figured that that’s what it probably meant.

I really do appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. I do have an old Roland Juno D that lets me do the channel transmit change thing at the press of a button when in performance mode and part select is chosen. The thing is it’s getting pretty old and I am worried about reliability.

Some songs I play have at least 5 different sounds and this feature does come in handy. Currently I’m using the iPad app Bismark BS-16i with soundfonts assigned to different midi channels and also the Korg iM1 iPad app in combination mode also with different sounds on each midi channel. It sure beats having to take 5 keyboards to each gig instead of just one.

I was just wondering if maybe there were any midi keyboards that had that same feature. If anybody comes across a midi controller that has that function, please don’t hesitate to let me know.

Once again thanks.
Hi mrcumbia,

Were you able to find a solution for you need?
As of now, I am currently looking for this exact solution.

In my case, I have a Korg Kronos with many combis in my set list.
In some combis, I assign a channel to different sampled sounds to be played on an m-audio code 61 controller.
Although I am successful in making it work, I have to do it with the channel up/down in my controller, and as you’ve explained, it is not too practical when having to switch between 2, 3 different sounds (channels) in one song.

In the m-audio code 61 manual, I did see instructions very similar as to what you have provided for your oxygen 61. I also found another explanation to create presets using the controller editor software, but that didn’t seem to have worked for me.

Let me know if you have a solution.

Thanks

Reaction score
I have an Oxygen Pro 61 and I have related question.
Can I transmit on more that one midi channel at the same time. There is nothing about this in the small manual or online That I can find.

if I cannot do it with the Pro 61 is there a keyboard controller out that will send out on multiple midi channels?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the Oxygen line, but the Axiom line lets you assign "zones" to the controller, and each zone uses a different MIDI channel. Check your Oxygen manual for any references to "zones."

Ask a Question