VB3 on a Receptor, with an Oxygen 61 - slider issues

Reaction score
Hey gang.
So, I'm trying to get a basic Hammond organ setup working, assigning the draw bars to the sliders of my Oxygen. The VST I'm using is the VB3, and I'm using a Receptor as my main midi machine. The trouble I'm having is that when I try to assign the sliders to the draw bars, only certain ones get picked up, when I use smart learn. It can pick up C2, and C7, but all the others, it doesn't notice them transmitting. The Oxygen seems to think that they are transmitting on the global channel. So I really have no idea what I'm doing wrong here. Setting the VST to listen to all midi channels doesn't help either. Any idea what I'm missing? (I've also tried a factory reset, in case some weird settings had gotten in there). All help is appreciated!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You basically have to assign the CC codes for your Oxygen's sliders to the VSTi software.

Sorry I can't give you a specific step by step howto but if you dig into your manuals you'll probably find all the codes you need to assign.

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
One other suggestion that may help you out is to download and run MIDIOX on your system to see what exact codes are being transmitted when you move the sliders.

Reaction score
As the "computer" I'm running this on is a Muse Receptor, rather than a mac or PC, I don't think I can run MIDIOX.
As far as I understand it, the Midi Learn function ought to be able to identify what CC codes a slider is sending, and set a paramater to listen for those codes. But it only works for two of my sliders, which means that there has to be something else keeping my Receptor, or my VST from hearing the other sliders... I hate trying to learn three systems at once.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Assuming you are not interwebbing on a stone tablet and bone stylus, there's nothing stopping you from hooking up the Oxygen to your computer and running MIDIOX as a diagnostic. :)

At the very least it will give you the missing CC values for your sliders should you be unable to find them in the documentation.

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, doesn't the receptor give you the ability to hook up a monitor, mouse and keyboard for programming it?

Reaction score
I currently am, actually, but I'll hook it up to my computer when I get home, and see what I can see.
And yes, I am using my receptor with a mouse and a monitor, to set it up. So to try and set one of the VB3s draw bars to a perticular slider, I'm right clicking on it, selecting Midi Learn, then flicking that slider. It just says "waiting for midi message", until I hit either slider 2, slider 7, or the mod wheel. I'll see if MIDIOX tells me anything interesting when I get home. Thanks.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I just took a look at the Oxygen manual. Seeing as I own one too (an itsy bitsy 49 key for screwing around with the laptop) and here's what I found.

Read pages 8 thru 16 on assigning continuous controllers and setting up organ drawbar mode.

Apparently you'll have to assign CC values to each slider and put the sliders into drawbar mode to reverse their action.

I realize nobody enjoys reading manuals but it's only 27 pages long man. :)

http://www.m-audio.ca/images/global/manuals/051014_OxyLine_UG-EN01_V1.PDF

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The manual was actually the first place I went.
Having carefully checked that a slider is assigned to channel 1, and is sending cc40, and looking at a drawbar that is set to listen on channel one, for cc40, there is no communication. The next slider over is set to cc41. channel 1. I set the second slider to listen to cc41, and it works. If I set the fist slider to cc41, then it also works. cc40 does not. Nor does 42. Do I have to just try random ccs until I find a set that works? This particular vst says it will learn whatever (in its manual), but the default numbers for drawbars are 40-48. So I'm really not sure why this isn't working... I'm going to download midiox now and see if it tells me anything new.

Reaction score
MidiOX doesn't show anything out of the ordinary. All sliders are sending on the global channel, and they are all sending the same cc messages that I'm expecting. So far, it seems like the only difference is which messages get picked up at the other end. So far, 1, 5, 41, and 43 work. I've tried 40-60, with no luck, aside from those two. I'm definitely stumped!

Ask a Question