Pink Floyd: Shine On Parts 2 & 3 Live Video

Reaction score
Hi All,

A mashup of two recent tour shows - both sellouts I'm pleased to report. Shows the contrast in lighting depending on the limitations or otherwise of the venue we use.

As the audio was captured via smartphone and was then completely hacked apart by YouTube's compression, it's not amazing, but still gives you a good feel for what's going on.

For those interested, there's a keys solo, handled by the King Korg and commencing at 2:34.

Last edited:

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
WOW!
Fantastic Paul.
The sound comes through superbly. Was it dubbed? Or is it all smartphone?
Gutsy Bass makes me think it was dubbed.
Anyway well done!
Thanks for the link. Would love to see more like that!
cheers
Ray

Reaction score
Thank you Ray, very kind words.

The sound is a 100% smartphone capture from an audience member who was kind enough to share one of the vids on Facebook and give us permission to publish. No overdubs or edits.

Reaction score
Very impressive! The sound isn't too bad considering it was just recorded using a smart phone. Must be a real buzz being part of such a successful group! :D

Reaction score
What? You don't record your performances? At least That's a nice band and I liked the performance. Lighting is pretty good too! I would totally start recording!

Reaction score
Very impressive! The sound isn't too bad considering it was just recorded using a smart phone. Must be a real buzz being part of such a successful group!
Thanks Becky! It sure is a buzz - we've worked very hard on this project for the last six years and it's very rewarding to see our labours bear fruit.

Seriously impressed.
Thanks very much Col!

At least That's a nice band and I liked the performance. Lighting is pretty good too! I would totally start recording!
Thanks Sam! We actually do have some pro-quality recordings taken from some live shows we did back in 2015. But you're right, we need to make some new recordings. One for the "to-do" list. At the moment we're about to wrap up our tour and then we'll be flat out learning a new show.

Reaction score
Do you guys do originals as well?
Many moons ago when I was in my 20's I used to be in an "originals" band. We had a blast writing, recording and performing our songs but sadly world domination eluded us.

These days I am in two tribute acts and two rock covers acts. I do miss the fun of writing original music, but I must say I don't miss playing live to a total audience of a grumpy bar manager, five mates and the band's girlfriends!

Reaction score
Over here in the UK we seem to have more Tribute acts than we have originals, I live in a City of about 125,000 and at our local Theatre between now and the end of December we have 14 Tribute acts performing and a few original wrinklies. By wrinklies I mean Bands that have been around the block a few times with frequently many changes in members.

We saw The Drifters (probably the mark 20 version) a few weeks ago, they were impressive.

We even have The Australian Pink Floyd show in a few weeks.

This Saturday we go and see The Blues Band who have been going since 1979, with Paul Jones, Tom McGuinness, Dave Kelly and Rob Towsend some if the members, they are still awesome.

Reaction score
Yes tribute bands are big here in Australia too Col, as are the "wrinklies".

Big difference between touring Australia and the UK is the sheer distance and much smaller population base. Makes it very tricky to make the financials stack up, particularly for a show like ours which has a very high cost base, runs at low margins and high risk. As such we don't have any real competition in this country apart from a mob from NZ who do a quick and very effective smash and grab once a year.

We are starting to make financial and reputational inroads now though and I expect this will inspire others to attempt to enter the "Pink Floyd" market in the next 18 months or so.

I'm also waiting for the day one of the big overseas PF tribute acts like Aussie Floyd or Brit Floyd decides to try their hand down here. Hasn't happened yet but I'm sure it will one day.

Reaction score
I can appreciate that it has to be precarious over in Oz with the distances involved.

Music is a funny business, we follow a trio of Folk artists who have been together for a few years now. One member was part of a very successful Folk Rock band but when we saw the trio last year there were only about 50 people in the audience, did the guys care, no, they love doing what they do. The trio travel around in a pair of Range Rover sized SUVs loaded with all their kit and it is a full DIY job despite the senior member being seventy, we went to their sound check last year where they spent three hours setting up and playing variations in their arrangements.

Strangely one of the members is also in another band and they played on Saturday in Hyde Park London in the Radio 2 Live festival in front of 95,000 fans.

Reaction score
Is the lighting part of your contract with the venue? How does that work?

Reaction score
Is the lighting part of your contract with the venue? How does that work?
For each venue we specify a minimum requirement in our tech specs which covers use of haze, areas that specials should be focussed and projection quality for our video.

Outside of that we negotiate with each venue what lighting they have available for us at what cost. We don't tour our own lighting rig as this would require our own operators which makes cost prohibitive. As a result we get a wide variation in how the light show looks, as is evident in this video.

Reaction score
For each venue we specify a minimum requirement in our tech specs which covers use of haze, areas that specials should be focussed and projection quality for our video.

Outside of that we negotiate with each venue what lighting they have available for us at what cost. We don't tour our own lighting rig as this would require our own operators which makes cost prohibitive. As a result we get a wide variation in how the light show looks, as is evident in this video.

I see! So you're a well-established band in that case. Do you work with an agency that does all the legwork for legal, copyright...etc...etc...? and of course financial aspect of the performance? I guess what I'm asking is that you as a musician just worry about your part as a musician, or you're heavily involved in everything else as well?

Reaction score
We are represented by both an agency and a promoter. Between them they look after venue hire, legals, marketing, logistics, tech specs and financials on our behalf.

The above said, we also keep our fingers very much on the pulse so it's not simply a matter of "turn up and play" as much as that would be nice. Our representatives are very professional and do a great job but in any business situation it's important not to abdicate the important task of overviewing all aspects personally when outsourced to third parties.

In case you're interested, in Australia all performing copyright is handled by a body called APRA. We pay a performance royalty for every cover song we play, which is remitted to APRA, who in turn are responsible for sending to the rights holder.

Ask a Question