PSR-SX600

3dc

Reaction score
I would like to inform you that Yamaha announced their entry level professional arranger PSR-SX600. Sadly its just a cosmetic update from previous PSR-S670. More info in official website.

New in this model:

+ More voices
+ More styles
+ More expansion memory
+ Microphone input ( no line in ) + additional DSP (not vocal harmony)
+ Colour screen
+ Unison/accent function

What's not changed is

+ Not a touch screen (seems like a strange choice not to do that on an "SX" branded model)
+ No R3
+ No step edit

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Thank you for the news announcement!

Although it doesn't include the touch screen of the PSR-SX700 and PSR-SX900, the new features sound like a bit more than a "cosmetic update," which (to me, at least) implies a mere visual update to its panel controls.

I'm not sure how Smart Chord differs from the AI Fingering that's on the other PSR-SX models, but it isn't listed for them in a comparison chart of the specs for the three PSR-SX models.

From what others have said in another forum, it sounds like Accent will vary a style's rhythm parts with drum rolls and cymbal crashes if you strike the keys in the accompaniment section a little harder, and Unison will cause a style's melodic parts to mirror the notes being played-- that is, they will play along in unison.

Reaction score
The previous S670 is c£575 here in the UK.

SX700 is c£930

SX900 is £1500

So a price point of c£650 / £700 is probably to be expected.

The SX700 is a leap in build and tone quality over prior S models so it will be interesting to see detailed review of the 600, meanwhile.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I haven't looked at the detailed specs carefully yet, but I'm thinking it probably doesn't have MIDI IN/OUT ports, either, which is something that people have been missing on the PSR-S670. Then again, maybe Yamaha listened to people and realized that MIDI IN/OUT ports are desired for better interconnectivity with other MIDI equipment.

3dc

Reaction score
So a price point of c£650 / £700 is probably to be expected.
PSR-SX600 is apparently targeting Brazil and China markets. I am not sure but they are about to be run over by Medeli AKX10 (A2000). In China they might sell only some units. BTW MSRP from Yamaha website is $1,399.00 which is actually more then current price for SX700. :p

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I saw that MSRP on their website! It's hard to know how that will translate to a street price, but Yamaha's MSRP is always a good bit higher than the street price, at least in the USA marketplace. I didn't look to see what the MSRP on the PSR-S670 was, for comparison, but I'm thinking it probably wasn't as high.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I looked at buying a s670 last year.
Around $1200 aussie dollars. ($800 -$900US ?? roughly)
Prices have not change much over the last 12 months.
I have been putting off the upgrade (fear of the unknown)
But now (after our lockdown) I may go out and try the x 670 series along side Korg . . But I could get cold feet.

Ray

Reaction score
Ray.

With the pending arrival of the SX600 the S670 should be discounted quite heavily.

During my last visits to Music Stores there was only SX models in the stores and if the SX600 has the same build and similar tones versus an S then an SX would be a better buy.

You know which keyboard I think is better but a Korg Pa700 would mean a whole new learning curve for you.

Reaction score
Watch the Korg video manual series

Plus c20 hours of info on these

Yamaha SX700

3dc

Reaction score
I was just informed that the SX600 is coming to retailers at the end of September with "average" EU price around 810-850 EUR ( depending on tax ) which is way better then the introductory 1.200 EUR price. Also it looks like the content of PSR-SX600 is completely "refreshed" with better sounds, effects, drum kits... so its up to date with modern music production needs. Maybe the "new" SX600 is not a bad deal after all. :D

Reaction score
810-850 Euro is not exactly a good deal but it will n doubt be a starter price and over a year will settle to 100 Euro less.

At present a Yamaha SX700 and a Korg PA700 are both c900 Euro and that is 200 Euro less than what they were when first released.

The SX600 will not have any competing keyboards at it level unless Korg release an updated version of their old PA600 which seems unlikely.

3dc

Reaction score
The SX600 will not have any competing keyboards at it level unless Korg release an updated version of their old PA600 which seems unlikely.
At 700 EUR initial price mind you Medeli AKX10 just might beat them both in this segment. It all depends on the build and sound quality.

Reaction score
I was excited for this keyboard and pre-ordered one after convincing the wife to let me spend $1000 on a keyboard just before the holidays. Finally got a brand new PSR-SX600 yesterday and shockingly discovered it wouldn't even power up. I tried multiple outlets all of which work with a lamp. So much for Yamaha quality control. I contacted the vendor who did not have a replacement in stock. I told him I had been bouncing back and forth between the PSR-SX600 and Korg PA600 before ordering the Yamaha. He said he had the (more expensive) Korg in stock and offered to ship it overnight and price-match the Yamaha. Hats off to the vendor and I took him up on his offer. Wife said she noticed the Yamaha was apparently made in China and shipped from Djakarta. Huh? I will never purchase another Yamaha product.

Reaction score
I was excited for this keyboard and pre-ordered one after convincing the wife to let me spend $1000 on a keyboard just before the holidays. Finally got a brand new PSR-SX600 yesterday and shockingly discovered it wouldn't even power up. I tried multiple outlets all of which work with a lamp. So much for Yamaha quality control. I contacted the vendor who did not have a replacement in stock. I told him I had been bouncing back and forth between the PSR-SX600 and Korg PA600 before ordering the Yamaha. He said he had the (more expensive) Korg in stock and offered to ship it overnight and price-match the Yamaha. Hats off to the vendor and I took him up on his offer. Wife said she noticed the Yamaha was apparently made in China and shipped from Djakarta. Huh? I will never purchase another Yamaha product.

These may help you learning about your Pa

Reaction score
I have the Yamaha psr sx600. It has a noisy keybed and I am searching for a replacement board. I understand the 700 and 900 boards are not that good either.

Reaction score
Yes, it was a typo

Both Korgs are very good arrangers but at different price points and the 1000 has additional features, sounds, styles and a keybed with after touch etc.

The Pa700 is in the same sector as the SX700 whereas the Pa1000 is against the SX900

Your SX600 does not have a Korg model that is of recent design as their Pa600 has been around for many years.

Ask a Question