QSC K8 speaker buzzing when playing an RD-88 through it

Reaction score
Hello All -

I have a new Roland RD-88 that I play through QSC K series speakers and when I played a few different low notes from my favorite acoustic piano sound through a QSC K8 I was using at a gig the speaker was buzzing ... when I used to play gigs using a Roland RD-800 through a QSC K8 speaker this never happened ... now the QSC K8 may need some work but I am wondering if it is the output from the RD-88 that is causing the problem or at least contributing to it ...

Has anyone else had this issue ?

Thanks !

Dan

Reaction score
check the EQ setup on the RD88, perhaps the low EQ is turned up in the program causing an overload on the low end. If you have a separate EQ module, as an experiment (troubleshoot), run the RD88 through the EQ first, then the K8. Turn down the low end of the EQ and see if the buzz disappears.

Reaction score
The low EQ is flat ... also when I plugged the RD-88 into an audio interface which then sent sound to my 5” studio monitors the sound was pristine

Reaction score
The EQ may be flat but 'stronger' (@ 'flat') than the RD800 on the low end. That's why I suggested to put an EQ in between the RD88 and the K8 and experiment with the low end. Alternatively, try reducing the low end on the RD88 below flat and see how the K8 responds.

Reaction score
thank you so much for your responses ... I don’t have an EQ but I could cut the EQ on the piano sound and see what happens ... it’s funny - when I first got the RD-88 I cut the low EQ but I didn’t like the sound as much

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Try playing a really bassy MP3 or better yet, CD thru the amp to eliminate the amp as the cause of the problem.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Also do a close inspection of the speaker cone to inspect for tears in the fabric. Usually the tears occur around the edges where the speaker cone pushes in and out. It might be simply a blown cone.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Delaware Dave - I lowered the bass EQ on the RD-88 and it fixed the problem - no more buzzing from the QSC K8 ... and happyrat1 - the buzzing was occurring on 3 different QSC speakers so it was likely not a speaker problem

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Delaware Dave - I lowered the bass EQ on the RD-88 and it fixed the problem - no more buzzing from the QSC K8 ... and happyrat1 - the buzzing was occurring on 3 different QSC speakers so it was likely not a speaker problem

Either way. If the problem returns you'll know how to fix it :)

Happy you worked it out :)

Gary ;)

Ask a Question