Joys of External Speakers!

Reaction score
Sure it comes as no surprise to anyone here, that connecting external amplified speakers of reasonably decent quality to
a low- to- medium range keyboards might vastly improve their sound quality-- but WOW!

I now actually can HEAR the lowest-lows and the highest-highs from 'Sine Lead' and other Voices without any strain whatsoever!
and they appear to be clear enough to be read by an audio-frequency-meter!

Speakers built in to this EZ-300 are very disappointing indeed, for $200+ Yamaha is clearly short-changing their customers!

Paying for reasonable and responsive keyboard action (won't go there today), quality sound from 'general grade samplings', yet it can not be
fully experienced unless the user/owner is experienced enough to use external, quality, speakers!

For what it's worth I'm using Altec Lansing amplified speakers, which are all upright in shape, with built-in AC cord, Tone and Volume control.
I can hear nuances and things not possible even with the general-purpose headphones I was using!

This should provide an entirely new experience when practicing and letting other people play this EZ-300. At least I know if I were to upgrade to far
superior keyboard, that these Altec Lansings should be able to keep up!

Please do not let their appearance or pricing on ebay fool you, set I have sound absolutely beautiful! And are clearly superior to EZ-300's speakers!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Yes, external speakers that are marketed for computers tend to be pretty good, since they're expected to give good results when playing games, watching movies, or listening to music. They can be a great, inexpensive choice for keyboards.

Reaction score

SeaGtGruff :: of the yamaha keyboards you own, which would you say is your best?​

For me, a keyboard has to be more than a mere digital-piano, I want other essential instruments as well...
(and certainly not cheesy sound-effects crap)
I'm addressing actual sound quality now, more than any other feature or characteristic.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I would say that the PSR-EW400 and the MX49BK are the best. They're very different from each other, obviously, since the MX49BK is a rompler synth and the PSR-EW400 is a portable keyboard.

Reaction score
The EZ 200 is as Dave states a $200 keyboard, it is aimed at kids and even then as a plaything. It is limited in features and has a very low polyphony of a mere 32 hence spending more cash on it is not really the way to go.

Buy a reasonable quality keyboard, and the Yamaha PST E463 or Korg EK50 are the two starter keyboards I would suggest would offer the best vfm for someone wanting to learn or dabble without spending a shedload of cash.

As for speakers, I do not think anyone here has ever suggested buying PC speakers is the way to go to achieve great sound quality. You will also find powered monitors at c$250 will blow lesser products out of the water and will last for years, they have the overhead power and a dynamic range far more suitable to keyboards than a gaming pair of Speakers.

Ask a Question