Quality of Yamaha Keyboards in todays market

Reaction score
I have an old DGX 205 that I've had for many years and it's been pretty good, but now worn out and I'm looking to purchase another keyboard. I called a local music store inquiring about his selections, and he said he no longer carries the Yamaha brand because of so many service issues over the past few years. He carries Casio only now. He mentioned something about them being made in China now, and the quality control is not what it used to be "back in the day". I'm trying to find out if this is true or not, or was he just saying these things to entice me to purchase one of his Casio's. I'd appreciate any input on this subject. I'm quite the novice by the way, and usually buy the "automatic music maker" types where all I have to do is press a few buttons here and there. I was looking very strongly at the PSR EW410. Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
I have an old DGX 205 that I've had for many years and it's been pretty good, but now worn out and I'm looking to purchase another keyboard. I called a local music store inquiring about his selections, and he said he no longer carries the Yamaha brand because of so many service issues over the past few years. He carries Casio only now. He mentioned something about them being made in China now, and the quality control is not what it used to be "back in the day". I'm trying to find out if this is true or not, or was he just saying these things to entice me to purchase one of his Casio's. I'd appreciate any input on this subject. I'm quite the novice by the way, and usually buy the "automatic music maker" types where all I have to do is press a few buttons here and there. I was looking very strongly at the PSR EW410. Thanks for any help.
Kurzweil makes their keyboards in China. My Kurzweil PC3 has not given me any issues from an assembly point of view (i.e. "made in China"). The issue usually is parts sourcing. Where are the parts coming from? China-sourced parts are typically of cheap quality. That is where the problems usually surface. As far as Yamaha, I don't know where their parts come from. Casio may assemble their keyboards somewhere other than China, I'm not sure. Where are their parts coming from? Don't know the answer to that either. And exactly what are the quality control standards? Not sure of that either. There is a guy in another forum who has a Kurzweil and he had a problem 5 years ago where his keyboard had on-stage issues. Every chance he gets he talks about not trusting his Kurzweil because of the one issue he had 5 years ago. For all I know it could have been dirty power at the facility that was at causing the issue. He constantly brings it up and has reported that he would be concerned with ever purchasing another Kurzweil product, including new models that have come out. I have the same keyboard he has and have owned it for 10 years, never had keyboard issues, so I would recommend it. So who's right, and whose wrong? Let's say the failure rate is 5 of every 1000 boards, and you purchased one of the 5 boards and had issues; to add fuel to the fire you're sent a replacement keyboard and it is 1 of the other 4 remaining keyboards that were also issues; now you've had two keyboards and both were issues; what would you report about that keyboard? You'd probably stay away from that brand and possibly not recommend to anyone based on your history. 3 other people would probably agree with you as they also purchased one of the five failed keyboards. The other 995 keyboard owners of that model would disagree saying they've never had any issues. Bottom line, don't believe anything you read or hear and only half of what you see....... My two cents.

Reaction score
I am not a Yamaha fanboy, preferring Korg kit myself but looking at and playing quite a few different Yamaha keyboards prior to Covid IMO Yamaha keyboards now are made from what appears to be better quality materials, switches, knobs and sliders feel quality.

i even bought a P series digital piano and have looked at and tried their PSR SX range of arrangers, but whilst piano sounds are very good the remainder are not to my taste.

i tried a pair of Casio’s in the S 1000 and S 3000 both are very quirky and the S 3000 has plenty of sounds and arranger features.

the DGX is niw a 670 which is a new ground up design, see the thread about it.

Others to consider are the Casio S 3000 and Korg XE 20

BTW the EW410 you quote is now a very old model

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Chinese made. But these days we don't have much choice.
Overall, Yamaha's have high standards. Even if assembled in Japan, the components are usually sourced from China. Components are mass produced. Each components is clone of the original piece. Casio, I would consider being same.
I wouldn't have any reservations up dating to a new Yamaha.

Reaction score
Kurzweil makes their keyboards in China. My Kurzweil PC3 has not given me any issues from an assembly point of view (i.e. "made in China"). The issue usually is parts sourcing. Where are the parts coming from? China-sourced parts are typically of cheap quality. That is where the problems usually surface. As far as Yamaha, I don't know where their parts come from. Casio may assemble their keyboards somewhere other than China, I'm not sure. Where are their parts coming from? Don't know the answer to that either. And exactly what are the quality control standards? Not sure of that either. There is a guy in another forum who has a Kurzweil and he had a problem 5 years ago where his keyboard had on-stage issues. Every chance he gets he talks about not trusting his Kurzweil because of the one issue he had 5 years ago. For all I know it could have been dirty power at the facility that was at causing the issue. He constantly brings it up and has reported that he would be concerned with ever purchasing another Kurzweil product, including new models that have come out. I have the same keyboard he has and have owned it for 10 years, never had keyboard issues, so I would recommend it. So who's right, and whose wrong? Let's say the failure rate is 5 of every 1000 boards, and you purchased one of the 5 boards and had issues; to add fuel to the fire you're sent a replacement keyboard and it is 1 of the other 4 remaining keyboards that were also issues; now you've had two keyboards and both were issues; what would you report about that keyboard? You'd probably stay away from that brand and possibly not recommend to anyone based on your history. 3 other people would probably agree with you as they also purchased one of the five failed keyboards. The other 995 keyboard owners of that model would disagree saying they've never had any issues. Bottom line, don't believe anything you read or hear and only half of what you see....... My two cents.
Thanks Delaware Dave; that really opened my eyes and made me look at this situation from a view that I hadn't thought about. Your comments made so much sense, that I went immediately to a local music store and ordered the Yamaha PSR-EW410. This was the one I wanted from the start, but was hesitant, after seeing and hearing different negative things about Yamahas quality nowadays. Your comments gave me the peace of mind to move forward. Thanks for your insight.

Reaction score
Thanks Delaware Dave; that really opened my eyes and made me look at this situation from a view that I hadn't thought about. Your comments made so much sense, that I went immediately to a local music store and ordered the Yamaha PSR-EW410. This was the one I wanted from the start, but was hesitant, after seeing and hearing different negative things about Yamahas quality nowadays. Your comments gave me the peace of mind to move forward. Thanks for your insight.
Also, I want to thank the others for their thoughts and insights. However, I went and made the purchase before I saw the other posts, and just read them Let's me know I'm on the right track. Thank you to all of you. Citafa

Ask a Question