Question about using a MIDI controller with my current keyboard

Reaction score
OK, quick question; I'm still a little new to MIDI and need something cleared up.

I currently own a Yamaha PSR-275; pretty cheap but up until now has served its purpose. It has MIDI out and in as well as a line out, and when not playing directly through my amp I have been able to play through my computer using a MIDI to USB cable I purchased. Here is my question:
I am thinking about purchasing a Studiologic TMK-88 keyboard controller, and I want to know whether or not I will be able to use it with my Yamaha keyboard and amp without the computer in the equation. I.E., will I be able to connect the Yamaha and the Studiologic with MIDI cables, and play on the studiologic so that the midi goes through the Yamaha and out the amp? Thanks,

-Jesse

Reaction score
You can connect the controller to the Yamaha with MIDI cables, but MIDI contains no audio information at all, just data between devices - you can't "listen" to it.

If you were to connect the two up, you would be able to control (hence the name) the sounds in the Yamaha with it, say playing one sound with the controller, another with the Yamaha. Controllers don't produce any sounds of their own.

Ask away if you have more questions!

Reaction score
So it sounds like I'll be able to enjoy the use of the weighted keys of the controller, but the controller won't produce any better of a piano sound than the Yamaha's?

Reaction score
Controllers don't produce sound at all.

Having a controller as well as your Yahama simply means that you can play on two keyboards at once. Your Yamaha will still produce the same sounds it did before. If the Yamaha must be hooked up to your computer so that software produces the sound (which would make *the Yamaha* a controller too), all you're doing is adding a second keyboard on which to play.

Reaction score
As much as I hate to bring old threads to the top...

I also have the PSR-275 keyboard and a Pro Keys MIDIStart 2.
How am i able to set up the two keybords, soundwise? How can i choose the sounds of each keyboard?

Thank in advance, Jami.

Ask a Question