Quick note changes are lost, notes in chords are lost, and some notes hang

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Check the options in Cadence. Make sure realtime kernel is enabled and check the driver options as well.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It may take a bit of experimenting but eventually if you screw around with the Cadence options you will arrive at optimum settings for your MIDI rig.

If anything really screws up with Linux sound the best thing to do is remove the offending audio drivers and reinstall them. That will usually reconfigure everything properly on the reinstall.

Sometimes in order to get pulseaudio to recognize a device you have to run alsamixer in a terminal window from the command line to enable a capture. Don't ask me why. It just works that way. That's the problem with one OS and 3 or 4 audio layers.

Same thing with WINE. There are a couple of versions out there and it may help to install the KXstudio version of the program over the default ubuntu one.

Either way you can switch back and forth between versions until you find the one that works best for you.

Synaptic makes all of these switcheroos easy as pie. Just be careful if you start using complete removals. Abort if you see a complete removal involves trashing like 200 dependencies. :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
ok... ok.... I'm a bit frustrated with this issue, I'd rather just focus on the music, and not drivers.... but I'll try...... :)

Reaction score
ok, so I installed Cadence...... there are a few strange things, like by default there is no midi driver. But if I choose one (alsa sequencer, or raw midi), it does not change anything.

So, I tried again reinstalling alsa, and when I remove alsa-utils, sound is still coming from the browser... so that is not the driver....

I really dont know know..... I think I'm going to check how to reinstall the driver, but I think that is in the kernel.... wow........

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Usually ALSA is not the problem. What gave me the most trouble was Pulseaudio.

Instead of installing Cadence and Catia individually you should just install KXStudio from the meta packages and let it configure everything for you. Believe me, it just works.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
OK! I'll try that! Thanks! I don't really get the sound architecture... but it's interesting... I thought alsa was the driver, but there is pulsaudio too... hmm .... funny :) (in a way)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There's actually like 4 different layers to Linux Audio these days on Debian based systems.

You've got Alsa, Pulseaudio, Jack, and currently they're running something called Phonon.

They're all quite hackable and can be beaten into shape with sufficient googling and command line editing, but they can be stubborn at times, requiring multiple reboots to get the changes to stick sometimes.

Congratulations young man. You're learning the joys of Linux Administration on the job :D

Like I said, installing all the KXstudio packages with a meta install and then running KXStudio Welcome from the System Menu will take care of most of the configuration for you.

After that you can tweak as you like.

One of my favorite things about Linux is that no matter how much you abuse it you can pretty much always recover the system even when you f*** things up real bad :D

I've been running Linux only systems since 1998 so I've learned a trick or two :)

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Oh yeah, and you also have OSS audio as well. At least you can add that compatibility to your system if you want to. So make that 5 layers. :)

Gary ;)
\

Reaction score
I see........ 5 layers..... sounds like lasagna :)

So, a metapackage is actually a list of packages, pointing to the packages of kxstudio, that have to be installed.......

so, then in syanptic, I select the metapackage, and then run the apply command......

I tried to install it before (the metapackage), but it didn't work. I did it from terminal. So...... I'll try synaptic.

cheers, K

Reaction score
well... I don't want to be difficult..... but I have no idea how to run the kxstudio welcome.... is it after boot?

The kxstudio homepage talks about a dvd image, but that is not available....

And I did not found any information on the net, regarding that what happens after I installed the kxstudio-all metapackage.

Seemingly nothing. Just bunch of new programs, but nothing changes........

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Run this from a terminal window after installing the meta packages..

kxstudio-welcome

Also the first time you run Cadence it will install itself in the system tray.

The install should have updated your wine and jack configuration as well.

If you still have problems after this let me know.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
there is no kxstudio-welcome.... :(

isn't it installed with kxstudio-desktop? But I can't find that either in synaptic.......

I tried to fool around with carla and catia, but with no success. If the welcome program sets things, than perhaps it would work...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It should be in /usr/bin/kxstudio-welcome

I don't believe you run it as su but try it either way.

It should run as a regular user though.

If it's missing perhaps it's in the optional meta packages if you didn't install them as well.

Or just search for the package in Synaptic and install it directly if it's missing.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
It's not there :(

I tried to download the welcome.py from github, and run it, but it does not run, I think it's missing things. Then I thought this should not be the way, fooling with python scripts....

I thing I'm just going to download the live DVD from sourceforge, and boot it......

cheers: Krisztian

Reaction score
I think it might be better than ubuntu studio anyway..... I kinda' like the xfce, but Linus Thorvalds says KDE is the "best".... dunno... if he says so :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I've always used KDE for the past 25 years.

It's a bit more bloated than XFCE or Gnome but it's very full featured and makes transitioning back and forth to Windows a lot easier.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question