Record midi +accompaniment

Reaction score
One of my keyboards only has one phone out and a midi out. Im using alesis linelink(phone out to usb) to record audio+video on computer. Obviously I can't hear anything. One solution I read is to "digitize" the signal using midi and software on computer then record audio through the phone out, but I don't think the midi usb cable would track with auto-accompaniment, would it? Any other solutions? Thanks

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
What keyboard are you trying to record? Does the Alesis LineLink have a pair of TS plugs on one end and USB on the other? Does the keyboard have two TS jacks for line out, or just one TRS jack for headphones? If it has a TRS headphones jack then maybe you could use something like the following between the keyboard and the Alesis LineLink:

https://store.strymon.net/1-4-trs-male-to-dual-1-4-ts-female-cable/

Be careful shopping for one online, because you would want a TRS male (presumably 1/4") to dual 1/4" TS female, and most of the results I got when I searched for that were something else, like TRS male to dual TRS female (i.e., a stereo splitter), or TRS male to dual TS male, etc. The one linked to above was the only result that looks right!

Reaction score
What keyboard are you trying to record? Does the Alesis LineLink have a pair of TS plugs on one end and USB on the other? Does the keyboard have two TS jacks for line out, or just one TRS jack for headphones? If it has a TRS headphones jack then maybe you could use something like the following between the keyboard and the Alesis LineLink:

https://store.strymon.net/1-4-trs-male-to-dual-1-4-ts-female-cable/

Be careful shopping for one online, because you would want a TRS male (presumably 1/4") to dual 1/4" TS female, and most of the results I got when I searched for that were something else, like TRS male to dual TRS female (i.e., a stereo splitter), or TRS male to dual TS male, etc. The one linked to above was the only result that looks right!
Thank you sir for the detailed info . Yes, I had to buy a splitter to go from one phone out to the Alesis linelink two TS ends.
Also I just experimented and found out that the accompaniment part seems to be transmitted to software (such as pianoteq) through midi . So its all good now.

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
What is the keyboard in question? My low-end Yamaha models have settings in their Function menus to control whether or not the MIDI data for the auto-accompaniment is to be transmitted.

But the Alesis LineLink is for transmitting and recording the keyboard's audio output, so the auto-accompaniment's audio should be getting mixed in with the other audio output anyway. If you're wanting the auto-accompaniment's MIDI output, the Alesis LineLink has no bearing on that.

As far as the keyboard's MIDI output, multitimbral 16-channel keyboards generally have many different "parts" that they can output, where "part" can be a "keyboard part" or a sound you play with the keys (e.g., the "main voice" and "dual voice" and "split voice" on my Yamaha models are 3 separate keyboard parts), or multiple parts used for the auto-accompaniment (Yamaha uses 8 auto-accompaniment parts, but I don't know if it's "industry standard" to have 8 parts for the auto-accompaniment), or 16 parts for the 16 channels of a MIDI song file, etc.

Thus, a part could be thought of as being like a MIDI channel, although it's not the same thing; it's more like how the OS of the keyboard is programmed to divvy up and utilize the available tone generators.

Anyway, a keyboard that has an auto-accompaniment feature will generally have settings somewhere in its menus for selecting which specific parts or types of parts you want to output via MIDI. Depending on the keyboard model, you might even be able to choose which MIDI channel you want to use for a particular part. I don't have that on my keyboards; I can choose whether to send the keyboard parts, style parts, and/or song parts, but not whether to send a specific part on a specific channel. So you might need to review your keyboard's settings to see what options are available to you.

EDIT: Sorry, it sounds like you might already know about "parts," but maybe that info will be of some help to others who read this thread.

Reaction score
Wow, that's very thorough, thanks a lot!

My roland fp30 has two audio out, so it's not a problem. I was trying to get my yamaha psr-e353 set up, which only has one audio out. Anyways, it's all set. I'll read and learn more about these parts and channel things. Thanks again

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Ah, okay! The PSR-E353 doesn't have separate functions for "Keyboard Out," "Style Out," and "Song Out" like the PSR-E4xx models do. Instead, the "PC Mode" function controls which types of parts will be output; see the bottom of page 42 in the Owner's Manual. If you want the Style parts to be output via MIDI, set the "PC Mode" to "Off."

As for the channels used, the style parts should be sent on channels 9 through 16, as follows:

Channel 9 = Rhythm 1
Channel 10 = Rhythm 2
Channel 11 = Bass
Channel 12 = Chord 1
Channel 13 = Chord 2
Channel 14 = Pad
Channel 15 = Phrase 1
Channel 16 = Phrase 2

But you won't find that mentioned anywhere in the manual; I got it from an "unofficial" document that a couple of individuals wrote about the Yamaha style file format, and it can also be found in various documents from Yamaha (just not in any of the Owner's Manuals for the PSR-E models).

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
As for the channels used, the style parts should be sent on channels 9 through 16, as follows:

Channel 9 = Rhythm 1
Channel 10 = Rhythm 2
Channel 11 = Bass
Channel 12 = Chord 1
Channel 13 = Chord 2
Channel 14 = Pad
Channel 15 = Phrase 1
Channel 16 = Phrase 2

I'm assuming that the stuff played on the right (the non-accompaniment) is on Channel 1? It should be somewhere.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Yes, but I'm not certain which channels the PSR-E353 uses. I assume it uses the same channels as my PSR-E4xx models, which are as follows:

Channel 1 = Main Voice
Channel 2 = Dual Voice
Channel 3 = Split Voice

To be thorough, I should probably add that other channels are used when you record a user song with the built-in song sequencer, so if you record a user song and then output it via MIDI, the assignments listed above don't apply.

If I'm not mistaken, the PSR-S and Tyros models use different default channel assignments for the keyboard parts:

Channel 1 = Right 1 Part (Main Voice)
Channel 2 = Left Part (Split Voice)
Channel 3 = Right 2 Part (Dual Voice)
Channel 4 = Right 3 Part (available only on the Tyros)

But I believe they can also be assigned to different channels in the MIDI Transmit settings if desired.

Ask a Question