Replacing Kurz PC3X; what keybed is closest to Fatar TP40-L (75g)?

Reaction score
I'm buying a new stage piano to replace my trusty Kurzweil PC3X. I live on an island and cannot "just go play."

I love the light, fast, weighted action of the TP-40L. I'd like to find a keybed which matches that feel as closely as possible.

I usually dislike graded actions; they're either too heavy or too light. I don't need aftertouch. I never sample. I don't really do sound design. I use splits all the time, and would not consider anything without good split options (which the PC3X had in spades.)

I play a ton of EP (mostly Wurly w/ some Rhodes), lots of normal piano, but also organ and synth depending on song.

I'd love advice. Any thoughts on what I should be looking at?

Reaction score
So your looking for a keyboard that has TP40L keybed? You have one and you called it 'trusty'. Not sure why you are replacing it if it is trusty. The Forte, Forte 7 and the new K2700 have the TP40L keybed. Not sure about what other manufacturers might use and in which models.

Reaction score
Kurzweil Forte or 2700

Keep your existing and if its just the keybed that is shot at use an NI Komplete S88 or Studiologic SL or Arturia Keylab

Nord Stage 3 may suit as there are three options 73, 76 & 88 each with a different keybed

Reaction score
So your looking for a keyboard that has TP40L keybed? You have one and you called it 'trusty'. Not sure why you are replacing it if it is trusty. The Forte, Forte 7 and the new K2700 have the TP40L keybed. Not sure about what other manufacturers might use and in which models.
'cause it's dying, sad to say, and needs replacement. Screen illegible, a few keys dying, random insides going or so it seems, some keys not working all the time (or ever,) sometimes it jumps up or down an octave, etc.

PC3X was a good compromise back then insofar as it was much less than the high end stuff but kept the sounds and keybed. Doesn't look like they really have that now w/ PC4 though.

Forte looks nice other than the fact that it costs $5000--I'm not saying it isn't "worth it" but that's not possible. Forte SE has bad keybed; Kurz SP series, same.

I could consider switching to one of the other brands I suppose but I do really like a light keybed, and I'm not sure what to look for.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you can live with 76 keys the Forte 7 has the TP40L keybed and should cost less than the Forte w/88 keys. Where do you reside? The Forte in the USA is under $3K. Try Thomann in Europe. Their prices are outstanding and they might ship it to you. Sometimes Thomann's prices shipped into the USA are cheaper than purchasing within the USA.

Reaction score
If you can live with 76 keys the Forte 7 has the TP40L keybed and should cost less than the Forte w/88 keys. Where do you reside? The Forte in the USA is under $3K. Try Thomann in Europe. Their prices are outstanding and they might ship it to you. Sometimes Thomann's prices shipped into the USA are cheaper than purchasing within the USA.
Where do you see a forte for under $3000? Sweetwater charges $4000 for the Forte 7, and almost $5k for the 88.

You're right about Thomann--for example, the Nord Stage 3 is $1000 cheaper including shipping--but I suspect there are also customs fees as wel.

Reaction score
Be wary of Thomann if you live outside the EU.

I am in the UK and I see Thomann prices as excluding sales tax.

So you could have a double whammy buying from them with sales tax, import duty and any levy that your Government has chosen to apply to certain goods from within the EU.

Reaction score
Where do you see a forte for under $3000? Sweetwater charges $4000 for the Forte 7, and almost $5k for the 88.

You're right about Thomann--for example, the Nord Stage 3 is $1000 cheaper including shipping--but I suspect there are also customs fees as wel.
Try Dave Weiser (weisersound.com). He worked @ Kurzweil in Tech Development and programmed many of the sounds in the PC3x. He also was a decision maker on the keybed choices. He sells Forte's, ask him to price you one. Also, he probably has knowledge as to which other manufacturer's models use the TP40L.

Reaction score

Ask a Question