Roland Ax-Edge keytar shutting down

Reaction score
My Roland Ax-Edge flashes “Lo” then displays “Charge Battery! Shutdown Process” then shuts off automatically with fully charged Ni-MH batteries or even if it’s plugged in with the original power supply. Totally unusable and my biggest dilemma is I need it for an important show this weekend. Is there anyone out there that’s familiar with this problem or knows what causes it to understand what’s needed to fix it?

Attachments

• 8F8B2248-1F5E-4EB8-8C6C-CB0642B2C0B2.jpeg
    8F8B2248-1F5E-4EB8-8C6C-CB0642B2C0B2.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 120

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to talk to Roland Support. Not an icicle's prayer in hell that you'll get thru to them by the weekend though.

Unless your name is Rick Wakeman or Jordan Rudess.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you have the time and willpower to fix it yourself, the solution is probably to replace the internal battery with a fresh one.

Sounds to me like the battery sensor sees the battery going dead and initiates a shutdown.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You were at risk the second your warranty ran out.

If you aren't confident at DIY take it to a keyboard repair tech.

There might be some calibration procedure for a new battery if you can scare up a service manual somewhere.

Google is your friend.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Chances are they'd direct you to authorized service anyway. No harm in asking though.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hii, did you fix it in the end? I'm having the same problem
My tech found the problem with an electronic part that was too small to replace so he changed the hole jack board and it took almost 3 months to get the parts. Works fine now, but I had to buy a whole new keytar in the meantime. Gigging without it made me settle for the only one I could get my hands on and it’s a black one. I was skeptical but it’s so sexy and I’m in total love now. Now the repaired white one is reliable a backup.

Reaction score
My tech found the problem with an electronic part that was too small to replace so he changed the hole jack board and it took almost 3 months to get the parts. Works fine now, but I had to buy a whole new keytar in the meantime. Gigging without it made me settle for the only one I could get my hands on and it’s a black one. I was skeptical but it’s so sexy and I’m in total love now. Now the repaired white one is reliable a backup.

I'm having issues as well and I prefer to use the correct batteries myself as well, I been looking up roland support yet been having hard time getting to the part to message or chat with roland support

Reaction score
My Roland Ax-Edge flashes “Lo” then displays “Charge Battery! Shutdown Process” then shuts off automatically with fully charged Ni-MH batteries or even if it’s plugged in with the original power supply. Totally unusable and my biggest dilemma is I need it for an important show this weekend. Is there anyone out there that’s familiar with this problem or knows what causes it to understand what’s needed to fix it?

Hello. Sorry it took me 2 years to answer your question. I was having exactly the same problem with my AX-Edge(white) which was just out of the warranty period(Murphy's Law). I need to say Roland's customer service is not the greatest or the fastest. I found a local service center through Sweetwater Music Center(great service) but before taking the units there, avoiding a service charge, I decided to open the unit and inspect it visually to see if there was a replaceable coin battery. The process was very easy. Just put the unit facing dawn on a soft bed and take the screws one by one into a cardboard in the same position to ensure you put them back in the same order. They are many screws, all the same width but there are different lengths. To my surprise I could not found a replaceable battery! Yep, no coin battery to replace. Instead I carefully disconnect and reconnect all the multipin connectors I could find in the main board and then reassemble the unit. And Voilá!! Its working perfectly now. The only tool I needed was a phillips #2(common standard) screwdriver. I took me about 5 to 10 minutes. I really hope this publication can help any other colleagues out there. Please keep making music, it can make the world a better place. Rock & Roll!!!

Reaction score
Hii, did you fix it in the end? I'm having the same problem
Hello. Sorry it took me 2 years to answer your question. I was having exactly the same problem with my AX-Edge(white) which was just out of the warranty period(Murphy's Law). I need to say Roland's customer service is not the greatest or the fastest. I found a local service center through Sweetwater Music Center(great service) but before taking the units there, avoiding a service charge, I decided to open the unit and inspect it visually to see if there was a replaceable coin battery. The process was very easy. Just put the unit facing dawn on a soft bed and take the screws one by one into a cardboard in the same position to ensure you put them back in the same order. They are many screws, all the same width but there are different lengths. To my surprise I could not found a replaceable battery! Yep, no coin battery to replace. Instead I carefully disconnect and reconnect all the multipin connectors I could find in the main board and then reassemble the unit. And Voilá!! Its working perfectly now. The only tool I needed was a Phillips #2(common standard) screwdriver. I took me about 5 to 10 minutes. I really hope this publication can help any other colleagues out there. Please keep making music, it can make the world a better place. Rock & Roll!!!

Ask a Question