Need to convert mp3 or wav files for Roland Ax Edge Keytar

Reaction score
Can anyone help - I've just bought a Roland Ax Edge, and I have lots of mp3 and wav file backing tracks, but they won't run on the Keytar - does anyone know how to convert these, or if there's any software that will do it?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
If you’re talking about converting them from audio tracks to MIDI tracks, there is currently no program I’m aware of that can successfully do that. There are programs which claim to be able to do it— search for “convert audio to MIDI” and take your pick— but as far as I know even the best ones have no more than limited success, especially when trying to work with audio recordings that contain multiple instruments.

Reaction score
Can anyone help - I've just bought a Roland Ax Edge, and I have lots of mp3 and wav file backing tracks, but they won't run on the Keytar - does anyone know how to convert these, or if there's any software that will do it?
They should play as long as they're in the correct format. From the manual: "You can copy an audio file (MP3 or WAV) from your computer to a USB flash drive, and perform on the AX-Edge while that audio file plays back...If your file has a sampling frequency of other than 48 kHz, use software on your computer to convert it to 48 kHz" -- is that the conversion you're asking how to do?

Reaction score
Try formatting the USB drive in your Keytar.

The formatting should create a folder called Song List and it is into this folder that your music files should be placed

Reaction score
They should play as long as they're in the correct format. From the manual: "You can copy an audio file (MP3 or WAV) from your computer to a USB flash drive, and perform on the AX-Edge while that audio file plays back...If your file has a sampling frequency of other than 48 kHz, use software on your computer to convert it to 48 kHz" -- is that the conversion you're asking how to do?
Yes, that’s the conversion I need, but I don’t know how to do it, or what software I need.

Reaction score
If you’re talking about converting them from audio tracks to MIDI tracks, there is currently no program I’m aware of that can successfully do that. There are programs which claim to be able to do it— search for “convert audio to MIDI” and take your pick— but as far as I know even the best ones have no more than limited success, especially when trying to work with audio recordings that contain multiple instruments.
No, it’s not a MIDI conversion that I want. The manual says to convert them to an MPEG1 file and 48kHz sampling rate.

Reaction score

The formatting should create a folder called Song List and it is into this folder that your music files should be placed
Done both of those things, but the files have to be converted from mp3 to MPEG1 format.

Reaction score

Done both of those things, but the files have to be converted from mp3 to MPEG1 format.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
You could try a program from NCH:

The Windows version can convert to and from MPEG-1, but it doesn't look like the Mac or Linux versions can.

Reaction score
You could try a program from NCH:

The Windows version can convert to and from MPEG-1, but it doesn't look like the Mac or Linux versions can.
OK, thanks, I'll have a look at that.

Reaction score

Reaction score
Yes it is - but I don't know how to do it, or what software to use??

Reaction score
MP3 files are recorded in MPEG1 standards.

The designation is MPEG 1 Level 3 with the EG 1 being dropped to give the name MP3.

Download Audacity, its free, load your song into it and then Export to the chosen preset from those available.

BTW have you checked that the Firmware/ Operating system in your keytar is upto date?

Reaction score

The designation is MPEG 1 Level 3 with the EG 1 being dropped to give the name MP3.

Download Audacity, its free, load your song into it and then Export to the chosen preset from those available.

BTW have you checked that the Firmware/ Operating system in your keytar is upto date?
Many thanks for that - no, I haven't updated the firmware - I'll do that tomorrow when I have some free time. I already have Audacity, so I'll try that tomorrow, too. I guess the problem must be with the 48kHz requirement. Thanks again.

I've been in touch with the shop where I bought the key

Reaction score
I've got an appointment on Friday with the Roland expert at the store where I bought the Keytar from - he's going to show me how best to convert the files. Thanks to all of you for your help !

Reaction score
Hi
I have the same problem - and historically roland made you buy there own USB at about$90....
The Edge is s bit dodgy at reading the files and the work around I was given by roland was to keep buying different brands of usb sticks..... now some mp3s play on one stick, others on another.... if you got a different solution please share!

Reaction score
Do read very carefully the manual.

E93EE5DC-F4B0-4A1A-8F0A-9E3B702D65DC.png

Both WAV and MP3 file have to have the correct sampling rate, bit depth for WAVs.

Specifically the sampling rate has to be 48kHz and if you are using CD sourced WAV or MP3 files these will be 44.1kHz unless the ripping software has been set to re-sample.

Use Audacity to re-encode the music file if necessary.

Reaction score

View attachment 1453

Both WAV and MP3 file have to have the correct sampling rate, bit depth for WAVs.

Specifically the sampling rate has to be 48kHz and if you are using CD sourced WAV or MP3 files these will be 44.1kHz unless the ripping software has been set to re-sample.

I have read the manual carefully - I'm trying to get my MP3 files to play on the Keytar - I just can't find the software I need to set the sampling rates and the bit rates to those specified.

Reaction score

View attachment 1453

I have tried Audacity: "Export Audio" but the version I have doesn't give me the options to specify the sampling rate.

Ask a Question