Roland GW-7 LCD screen doesn't fully work

Reaction score
Hi, New to the Forum. I have a 10 year old GW-7 I got an aftermarket wall wort. 9V power supply and the LCD readout is only partially working. 75% of the characters are not showing. It is a replacement wall wart 9V (neg Center pole) 1amp. The original got lost at a gig. The back of the keyboard calls out for a : Roland PSB-1U

Which one search i found stated a 9V 2 A. wall supply.

Has anyone seen this LCD black characters are not fully legible. You can see the 800 channels ( I love all the wild sounds of this keyboard) scroll thru barely. But it is indecipherable. The LCD yellow back light cxomes right on. The other buttons seem to work.

Thank you for the help.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Is your wall wart regulated? Most keyboard power supplies are regulated. Otherwise buy the original factory part and stop using the Walmart crap before you blow out your keyboard permanently.

Gary

Reaction score
WEll I probably blew it! I bought a cheapy ebay electrical equivalent. Maybe I blew up the unit? Shoot.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm thinking you still have a chance. If it's still producing sound then you haven't blown the CPU yet.

Main thing is to stop using the craptastic power supply and order in a proper one pronto.

Keyboards are like Ferraris. Dealer parts are pretty much the only things that fit and work properly.

You won't find Ferrari parts at a Canadian Tire :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi all with the same problem.

It is not the power supply fault - it is lcd graphite cable is unglued from lcd's glass. I've fixed mine by gluing it back with a regulated soldering iron trough a sticky paper, warmed to a temperature of 100-150 C. Works fine until now. Good luck but be careful not to overheat or burn the cable.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Aziz! Thanks for letting us know about your solution to the issue :)

Reaction score
Hi,

I am getting around to fixing this. I just sent it to a keyboard repair facility in Ventura CA and they quoted me $390 to replace the LCD. Grrr....
Is the cover hard to get off? I can solder so I was wondering:
Where to order the LCD?????? if re-soldering the input cable doesn't work.
or perhaps Another repair facility for half price : )

I think i might undergo it myself I have sold this 4 times to Latino guys that never pay on eBay. I think there's a sound in Latin music they love that this has? Anyway if it doesn't sell this week i will buy a LCD and swap it out myself.

Ask a Question