Roland KR-7/5 TO A CD?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Are you trying to save the actual MIDI files to a CD, or are you trying to save the music to a CD-- i.e., to record audio files of the KR-7/5 as it plays back the MIDI files?

Also, does the floppy disk drive still work, do you have good working floppy disks that you can save to, and do you have a floppy disk drive for your computer that can read the files on the floppy disks and copy them to your computer?

Last edited:
Reaction score
As Michael eludes there are a lot of ifs about what you wish to achieve using your KR which must be quite old.

I would suggest that you try to record on your computer by connecting the audio output to the computer input and using a programme like Audacity to record your playing.

If this works then hopefully the MIDI output will work and you can use a DAW to record and save the resultant MIDI file.

I am unsure about what you wish to achieve by saving to CD as MIDI files are not CD compatible and as such using the CD in this manner it will produce a Data CD only, that is for storage only.

A simple thumb drive (USB memory stick) would be the normal method today of storing and transporting files from A to B.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm guessing the OP wants to play back each of the MIDI files that are saved in the keyboard's memory, record the keyboard's audio output, and then burn (or save) the songs to a CD in MP3 format. But I wanted to make sure what the goal is before trying to suggest anything. :)

Reaction score
Are you trying to save the actual MIDI files to a CD, or are you trying to save the music to a CD-- i.e., to record audio files of the KR-7/5 as it plays back the MIDI files?

Also, does the floppy disk drive still work, do you have good working floppy disks that you can save to, and do you have a floppy disk drive for your computer that can read the files on the floppy disks and copy them to your computer?

Reaction score
Hi...did not expect to get any replies..many thanks. I want to save my music, that I have played on keyboard somehow, and then be able to burn to a CD. Foppy disk drive works perfectly. Have saved my music to floppy disk. I do not have a floppy disk drive on my computer, I have an individual foppy disk drive, and have transfered the (data) to my computer, but cannot find a programme (free) to play back and have the same sounds that I have played on keyboard, as the floppy disk is only data,
. Basically, what I am trying to achieve, transfer the exact sounds etc,from keyboard, into a computer. once there, I should be able to burn it to a CD to give other people. Unfortunately, things are difficult, as I have a very old, outdated keyboard ie floppy disc. But keyboard is immacculate and works perfect.
Again thank you for replying to me, appreciated, and I hope what I say, makes some sense.

Reaction score
Hi

I am not sure what file format you keyboard saves its files as.

On your PC if you do not have it install VLC media player which should play most file types.

Whilst you are installing media software then search and install Audacity which is the best free audio playback and recording software there is.

Also register at BandLab and then you can download and install Cakewalk which is a free DAW which itself should play MIDI files.

Once your keyboard is also connected to yourPC then if you playback the files on your keyboard then Cakewalk should be able torecord said files.

Fingers crossed for you that this works.

Reaction score
I'm guessing the OP wants to play back each of the MIDI files that are saved in the keyboard's memory, record the keyboard's audio output, and then burn (or save) the songs to a CD in MP3 format. But I wanted to make sure what the goal is before trying to suggest anything. :)

Reaction score
Hi Michael, Sorry, never been in a forum before, so not sure if I am replying correct to the right person.
Anyway, if I am, yes, I am trying to get the identical sound, musiic that I have saved on my keyboard to a CD.
as it has taken me a few years to do. Not a problem to save to floppy, but this is only data, and computer programmes (if I could find one} to play the floppy, will not have the exact sounds as keyboard ( I think)
again, if this makes sense. apreciate your time & response........john

Reaction score
Hi

I am not sure what file format you keyboard saves its files as.

On your PC if you do not have it install VLC media player which should play most file types.

Whilst you are installing media software then search and install Audacity which is the best free audio playback and recording software there is.

Also register at BandLab and then you can download and install Cakewalk which is a free DAW which itself should play MIDI files.

Once your keyboard is also connected to yourPC then if you playback the files on your keyboard then Cakewalk should be able torecord said files.

Fingers crossed for you that this works.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I am also not sure what format my keyboard saves its files, I just thought everything was Midi. I will look into it and try and find out. I am ok playing anything and recording, but when it comes to technical,
well, I am hopeless. Also, i have VLC, but files will not play with it. I have yet to find a programme that will read my files. I have audacity, but this will not read midi files, I need to get music to the computer before using it.This is my problem. Am afraid to try too many things,and lose years of work. I will take your advice and try Cakewalk.
and keep you infomed if I get any success.. In the meantime, thank you for your reply..john

Reaction score

Reaction score
Hi Michael, sorry if I am repeating myself, but your question,are you trying to save the music to a CD-- i.e., to record audio files of the KR-7/5 as it plays back the MIDI files?
This is exactly what I am trying to acheive. many thanks john

Reaction score
Can I ask why a CD?

CDs are now old tech, for most appropriate uses of your files would be saving each your MIDI performances as an MP3 on your PC and copying the files to a Memory Stick.

Reaction score
Don,t even know what an MP3 is..have heard about them, but never used one. MP3 or CD whatever is easiest.
But cannot do anything, until I can transfer my music arrangements, sounds etc from keyboard to computer. This is my biggest headache. I think, once I have everything on computer, then, and only then, I can make into a CD or MP3.or something. Anything but floppy disc. It,s just that, when I purchased the keyboard, it was all floppy disc. Shows how old it is, but I am stuck with it. I will try what you said earlier, and let you know.
Thanks again mate, for your help.will keep trying. regards john

Reaction score
Cheers for the response.

If you do not know what an MP3 is then that sort of rings alarm bells for me on your Computer prowess.

Perhaps if you can explain a little bit more about your use of a PC then we can tailor our responses better.

Reaction score
Cheers for the response.

If you do not know what an MP3 is then that sort of rings alarm bells for me on your Computer prowess.

Perhaps if you can explain a little bit more about your use of a PC then we can tailor our responses better.

Reaction score
Hi..I am quite good on computer..All i know is that an MP3 is some sort of compressed file. I have never used one.
I have burnt music, self made videos with music to CDs, amongst other things, but never MP3. I have a very good computer freind who knows all about MP3s, how to download etc to them. But if I cannot get my music from my keyboard, to a computer, he cannot do anything. This is all I am trying to do. Once my keyboard music is on my computer, then I can achieve anything (i think). Sorry to be a pane. what if I just put an audio cable into the headphone socket of the keyboard, the other end into the computer, and press my music to play on the keyboard, the computer will record all thats being played on the keyboard, (as if the computer is the headphones). If that makes sense to you. Sorry, not very good at explaining. Yes it would take a long time, and I would not be able to hear what is playing, Just a thought, trying to find a simple solution, that even I could do. Do you think this could work?.unless you know otherwise. Again, sorry for taking up too much of your time.Hope you can bear with me

Reaction score
Your keyboard has audio output sockets on the back, connect cables from these sockets to your computer input sockets.

Using Audacity you should be able to record what you play on your keyboard.

You and or your friend may have to change input settings and settings within Audacity but it is very possible, I know I have done this myself.

I cannot tell you specifically what settings to change as it depends upon the sound card installed in your PC.

Once you are OK with recording then you can move onto MIDI which your keyboard is capable if doing as it has MIDI input and output sockets.

Ask a Question