Roland Juno D too old?

Reaction score
Hi,

I have the opportunity to purchase a Roland Juno D. I have a very tight budget, but am looking for a good keyboard/synth to travel with to gigs. I mainly play at churches leading the worship, so a good piano sound is a must. I also use pads and strings. I would like good layering controls, but I don't really care about many other features. I was offered a great deal on the Juno D, but I don't want to waste my money. Can anyone help with advice?

When I watch videos online, the pianos sound really good, and the pads and strings as well. Also, the Juno has the balance control for layering which I really like.

Here is my concern: Is the Juno D too old to sound good?? Will it still sound good when it goes though the PA. Will it sound good by itself, and with the band? I am just worried because it is so old.

Can anyone help. Good deal, or should I try and save up for the Juno DS61? (Or any other suggestions. Just not the Korg Kross, I think their piano sounds are terrible)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you need great pianos on a budget then take a look at the Casio PX-5S. Weighs in at 25 lbs so a breeze to transport as well.

But otherwise, I'd have to say that a Juno D is still a very serviceable instrument and advances in ROMplers in the past ten years have been more incremental than generational.

What it ultimately boils down to is how great a deal were you offered on the Roland and whether or not $900 for the Casio would break the budget. But the Casio does offer the bonus of 88 weighted hammer action keys in a 25 lbs package.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Can the "Juno D" even do a piano? First time I heard a decent electronic piano was a casio piano in the early 90's but I only tried a couple. My Juno type would not do a piano. I used it for the nice warm strings.

Reaction score
for my own future reference if nothing else, I said "Juno type" because I knew it was but it didn't say JUNO on it. So I dug it up to look. It's a synth plus 60 - HS -60. I haven't played it for 20 years. Nearly everyone says it's the same as a Juno 106 but that it's a consumer or home version. It looks more different than the 106 to me than just the speakers. Watching youtubes made me remember the sound. Yes it does do a nice strings sound I forgot about. It needs a serious cleaning now :(

Reaction score
Here you can hear some pianos and other sounds:

and hier is a sound list:
some of those pianos seemed to sound pretty good for what he was playing. I wonder how many octaves out sounds good. How old are those? Thru the 80's I had an old upright I restored that sounded great and I had a wurlitzer electric that stunk. What very little I saw of fender rhodes I don't think I cared for them either. That upright was a beast to haul around though :)

Ask a Question