Roland Juno ds 61 changing phrase pads sound/drum kit?

Reaction score
Can you change the sounds on the 8 phrase pads? Example, they come with a drum kit pre-loaded and you can use the pads to play drums live while also having a playable patch on the keyboard bed (not sequence or rhythm pattern) and I wanna change the drum kit or even just like the kick or the snare. Can you do that?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I know it's possible to assign samples to the pads. It's also probably possible to assign drumkits.

Check your manual.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I know it's possible to assign samples to the pads.
Are you sure? AFAIK, the pads can play files off a USB stick, but cannot play resident samples. Though I think the pads can also trigger MIDI notes, and if you have samples assigned to keys in a patch, you could probably use the pads to send MIDI events that trigger those keys...?

Reaction score
So after messing with it for way to long and searching everywhere in the manual and online (which I did thoroughly before making this post BTW). I think I've found a way to accomplish this by hitting the Rhythm Pattern button, playing one of the loops, stopping it, then clicking the Rhythm pattern button again so that its off, the pads will then have the drum set that was linked to the Rhythm Pattern instead of the default one on the pads. The manual do not really touch on this is mostly talks about what anotherscott is saying (triggering samples from a USB drive not the sound resident samples)

Ask a Question