Roland KR-7/5 TO A CD?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I don't think you'll need to do anything with the files on the floppy disk(s), other than perhaps playing them back on the keyboard. As Col (Biggles) says, you can connect your keyboard to your computer using an audio cable, which will let you record the keyboard's audio using a computer program. There are many such programs available, with Audacity being one that might be easier to start with (and it's free), or you might be interested in trying a DAW for more advanced options (there are free DAWs available).

By the way, "DAW" = "Digital Audio Workstation," which technically can refer to an integration of an actual hardware workstation with other devices such as a mixer, microphones, etc., which is used to record and edit audio in a digital format. But today when people say "DAW" they usually mean computer software that turns ordinary computers into such a workstation or recording studio.

As for the actual format, many audio-recording programs use their own formats for saving work files without losing any of the detail or quality of the sounds. But they also let you export your final mix to a common audio format, such as MP3, WAV, FLAC, etc. MP3 is a compressed format and uses a "lossy" compression. FLAC is also compressed but it uses a "lossless" compression. I think that many computers and CD players these days can play FLAC files, although I don't think the FLAC format is as universally widespread as the MP3 format.

I'll have another look at the manual for your keyboard later so I can post some explicit suggestions.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Just clarify a bit on what @Biggles said,

You'll probably need one of these cables.

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMP-159-Stereo-Breakout-Cable/dp/B005HGM1D6/

Hook the two 1/4" plugs to the 1/4" L/R Line Out Jacks on your keyboard...

And a line in jack on your sound card.

If it is a blue jack connect to that one.

If no blue jack then connect to the red one.

If only one jack for input AND output then you'll have to buy a usb sound card to use as input.

One of these will do.

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-External-Headphone-Microphone-Desktops/dp/B01N905VOY/

Then you record the sound as a WAV file with a program like SoundRec or Audacity for burning to CD as a 44.1 Khz WAV PCM Audio Track, or use a converter program to convert from WAV to MP3 in order to create a compressed audio file suitable for uploading to email or the web.

Google "WAV to MP3 converter" and you will find tons of freeware and shareware audio converters.

Also take a look at these videos if any of this is still unclear.

Gary ;)

EDIT > You may also want to pick up a USB to MIDI Class Compliant adapter if you decide to start recording and editing the MIDI data into a DAW Software on the computer.

I'd recommend one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-LiDiVi-Professional-Keyboard-Adapter/dp/B071KLC884/

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks my friend...realy appreciate your advice.Have taken on board what you say, and will try tommorrow.
Have to buy leads that I need, to do what you say. Will definately give it a go .I do have the mannual.
My friend knows everything there is to know, about computers, sound cards,mp3s etc, but next to nothing about keyboards.So with the 2 of us, and your information that you have kindly taken the time to give me, we may just about stand a chance. Lets hope. Will give it a good go, and I will let you know if we are succesful.
Please give me a few days to reply back to you, as I am away from Sunday for a few days
But I will 100% get back to you, and I thank you again so much for your help, and your time. Brilliant.
P.S
I did what you said & registered with Bandlab & downloaded Cakewalk, not sure I understand it yet, but at the moment, it.s not important as i already have Audacity.
Again, many many thanks.......very kind regards....speak to you soon.......John

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
My best advice to add at this point is (1) if you find yourself feeling stymied, don't give up, just proceed as slowly as you need to; and (2) keep an upbeat attitude and don't let it become a source of angst or drama, just have fun with it. The more enjoyable something is, the more you'll want to do it; and the more you want to do it, the more time and effort you'll be willing to invest in it. ;)

Reaction score
I don't think you'll need to do anything with the files on the floppy disk(s), other than perhaps playing them back on the keyboard. As Col (Biggles) says, you can connect your keyboard to your computer using an audio cable, which will let you record the keyboard's audio using a computer program. There are many such programs available, with Audacity being one that might be easier to start with (and it's free), or you might be interested in trying a DAW for more advanced options (there are free DAWs available).

By the way, "DAW" = "Digital Audio Workstation," which technically can refer to an integration of an actual hardware workstation with other devices such as a mixer, microphones, etc., which is used to record and edit audio in a digital format. But today when people say "DAW" they usually mean computer software that turns ordinary computers into such a workstation or recording studio.

As for the actual format, many audio-recording programs use their own formats for saving work files without losing any of the detail or quality of the sounds. But they also let you export your final mix to a common audio format, such as MP3, WAV, FLAC, etc. MP3 is a compressed format and uses a "lossy" compression. FLAC is also compressed but it uses a "lossless" compression. I think that many computers and CD players these days can play FLAC files, although I don't think the FLAC format is as universally widespread as the MP3 format.

I'll have another look at the manual for your keyboard later so I can post some explicit suggestions.

Hi Michael...Cannot thank you and everybody enough, for all of your help.Quite overwhelming. I did not think i would get 1 reply..amazing. But I think I will, (at the moment) not try DAW, if you say it is for the more advanced..
To be honest,"simple", is advanced for me. If you know what I mean.I am not the brightest.
I can play,mix,record, everything, to perfection, but transferring my saved music from the keyboard, to a computer, that,s another ball game.
I take on board everything you say, and will let you know how i progress...thank you so much....john

P.S There is another person in this forum (apart from yourself & Biggles) trying to help me, so I apologize in advance to all of you, if I am not sending my replies to the correct person as I have never been on a forum before, so not sure if i am pressing the correct buttons to reply. Told you i was not the brightest.
But I am sure you will all work it out if my replies go to the wrong person......john

Reaction score
Send replies to one and we all get them and we all like to help.

You are doing great for a forum newbie.

Between us I am sure we will get you where you want to be.

Have a great few days away.

Reaction score

If only one jack for input AND output then you'll have to buy a usb sound card to use as input.

One of these will do.

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-External-Headphone-Microphone-Desktops/dp/B01N905VOY/

Then you record the sound as a WAV file with a program like SoundRec or Audacity for burning to CD as a 44.1 Khz WAV PCM Audio Track, or use a converter program to convert from WAV to MP3 in order to create a compressed audio file suitable for uploading to email or the web.

Google "WAV to MP3 converter" and you will find tons of freeware and shareware audio converters.

Gary ;)

EDIT > You may also want to pick up a USB to MIDI Class Compliant adapter if you decide to start recording and editing the MIDI data into a DAW Software on the computer.

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-LiDiVi-Professional-Keyboard-Adapter/dp/B071KLC884/

Hi happyrat
thank you for taking the time to send me the information. will definately look at the videos.
What a great bunch of guys on this forum. I am overwhelmed with all of your replies and help.
Thanks for clarfying the lead colours. does not tell you this in the manual
.I think the DAW software is too advanced for me at the moment. I will keep you informed how I get on over the next few days, after reading your advice...many many thanks john

Reaction score

Thanks, did not realise i only needed to send one reply......REPLY= many thanks to all of you, & speak to you in a few days, about midweek, unless i get it sorted tommorrow before i go away. ( i can dream)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I have no idea about MP3 also. I just know it some kind of gadget for playing music through earplugs.
Is it itunes that you buy and load up?
No idea . .This modern tech stuff just sailed right past me.
Ray

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Think of MP3 as PKZIP for audio files.

It is a lossy file compressing algorithm and file format.

Whereas a 44.1 KHz Sampled, digitized PCM audio file takes up over 10 Megabytes per minute of space on a CD or HDD a comparable MP3 file achieves about 10 to 1 compression of the same file with a result that sounds almost as good as the original. It achieves this partially with standard, lossless compression techniques as well as by substituting placeholding blocks in place of inaudible differences in the waveform which are too insignificant to be noticed by a normal human listener.

So when you are listening to an audio CD you are hearing every audible waveform chopped up into waveforms as fine as 44.1 KHz or roughly twice the maximum frequency a human being with perfect hearing can hear.

With most people however, hearing tops out anywhere from 12 to 17 KHz. Even the best tweeters on the market can barely reproduce those frequencies without massive distortion so by digitally clipping and smoothing out the waveforms you can achieve much more compact compression.

JPEG image compression works the same way compared to BMP by predictively filling the gaps with near approximations of color pixels that fool the eye into thinking it is a complete image.

So that's why a song that takes up 50 Megabytes on a CD can be ripped down to 3 or 4 Megs in an MP3.

And since MP3 audio is pretty much built into every web browser out there these days, pretty much everyone at one time or another has heard an MP3 file played back on the web at some point in their lives.

The thing is, even if you play the same identical file on the same identical hardware and software twice in a row, it's never really the same song twice :D

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Think of MP3 as PKZIP for audio files.

It is a lossy file compressing
of the same file with a result that sounds almost as good as the original. It achieves this partially with standard, lossless compression techniques as well as by substituting placeholding blocks in place of inaudible differences in the waveform which are too insignificant to be noticed by a normal human listener

Oh . . That explains it.:eek:

Thanks man!:confused:

o_Oray . .
None the wiser but don't tell Gary or Col.:D

Reaction score
Potted history.

Way back in 1988 the Motion Picture Export Group was set up to standardise various upcoming technologies (so no potential VHS / Beta type conflicts).

This group produced MPEG 1 standards for Video CD’s of which a sub standard was audio compression and that is MP3 or MPEG1 layer 3 to give it its correct term.

The next standard was MPEG 2 which is for DVD and yet there still was conflict between
+R and -R recording disc formats.

Then came MPEG 3 which was about video compression and was intended for HDTV but things moved on and it was sort of sidelined

MPEG 4 is HDTV, its Bluray and HD camcorders and the HD video your iPhone or Samsung records.

Then of course other Groups formed to create 4k, 8k etc standards etc etc. They keep growing as tech and the maths involved develop.

One of the key components is backward compatibility hence why a DVD plays in a BluRay player.

All these standards use video compression routines to produce manageable sized files and compatible systems.

To achieve compression and decompression of a video an algorithm routine is applied by software known as a Codec ( coder decoder), and this is why sometimes you may get an error message that a video file will not play, the Codec is not installed on your system.

Now going back to the start a sub group known as the Motion Joint Picture Expert Group was set up to look at other aspects including video recording systems etc.

Also yet another group was formed the Joint Photographic Experts Group who yes you have probably guessed by now they set the standards for the image format we know of as JPG.

And of course a side product of all these video formats is what matters to us Musicians the development of different sound formats and hence file types in MP3, AIFF, WAV, FLAC etc.

So there you are a quick simple guide.

As it happens I have been making movies for 40 years and for the last 25 have been editing video on a PC and MAC and as I started using a PC I was one of the first to do so on affordable kit and I became very much in demand to pass on my knowledge to other like minded individuals so for quite a long time I used to lecture to groups of from 10 on to full weekend seminars to 100 people on the ins and outs of digital video. Hence the above just comes rolling onto the page with ease for me.

It must be hell between my ears with all the Trivial Pursuit stuff in there.

Reaction score

Hi everybody. This is a message to Col (Biggles) & Michael (SeaGtGruff) & Gary (Happyrat 1). Hope you will all see this message:
"HAVE DONE IT. HAVE DONE IT" With all of your help, I am now able to transfer all of my music from the keyboard, to my computer directly in Audacity. None of the sounds have changed. Exactly what i wanted. All I do now, is to put on CD or as MP3. This is the easy part. Have spent weeks trying, but after speaking to you guys for a few hours, have acheived what I wanted. FANTASTIC bunch of guys, realy glad I joined the forum.
Would like to thank all of you, so much, for helping me solve it.
Again, I hope you all see this message. Big Big thank you, to all of you. for your time and patience.

Very kind regards and best wishes to all of you..........John

Reaction score
My best advice to add at this point is (1) if you find yourself feeling stymied, don't give up, just proceed as slowly as you need to; and (2) keep an upbeat attitude and don't let it become a source of angst or drama, just have fun with it. The more enjoyable something is, the more you'll want to do it; and the more you want to do it, the more time and effort you'll be willing to invest in it. ;)

Hi everybody. This is a message to Col (Biggles) & Michael (SeaGtGruff) & Gary (Happyrat 1). Hope you will all see this message:
"HAVE DONE IT. HAVE DONE IT" With all of your help, I am now able to transfer all of my music from the keyboard, to my computer directly in Audacity. None of the sounds have changed. Exactly what i wanted. All I do now, is to put on CD or as MP3. This is the easy part. Have spent weeks trying, but after speaking to you guys for a few hours, have acheived what I wanted. FANTASTIC bunch of guys, realy glad I joined the forum.
Again, I hope you all see this message. Big Big thank you, to all of you. for your time and patience.

Reaction score

One of these will do.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
We have a saying in England for how you seem to now feel ... well chuffed.

So glad we helped you find your inner MP3 that was bursting to get out.

Ask a Question