Roland U20 / midi controller ......need advice

Reaction score
Hi and Happy New Year.

I recently got my old Roland U20 back on the stand , which I haven't used in a few years. The last time I used it, it was working fine, but it's been many years. Many of the keys aren't working now and getting the case open to get to the keys is more complicated than I hoped for. I tried doing some research on line and came up empty. This was my main keyboard back in the 90's for doing music sequencing for live performances. I sequenced over 200 songs and have some nice arrangements. I used an Alesis MMT8 sequencer and a disk drive to sequence and store all the midi dada on 3.5 floppy discs. All the data., including MIDI commands for other gear ....I presume ...is proprietary to the Roland U20. I still have all the other gear and they all work. Right now, it's important to me to get the Roland operating again. I dropped Roland U20 off at a local music store to have their keyboard tech look at it. The message he left for me was that it he wasn't interested in doing it and it wasn't cost efficient for me.

So.....now I'm thinking maybe I can get a MIDI controller keyboard to hook up with it . Do you think that could work ? The Roland U20 powers up just fine, it just many of the keys don't work. Here's a problem thou. I don't have much $$ to spend and I have to go as cheap as possible.
Suggestions ?
Thanks for reading !
Jim

Reaction score
Hi and Happy New Year.

I recently got my old Roland U20 back on the stand , which I haven't used in a few years. The last time I used it, it was working fine, but it's been many years. Many of the keys aren't working now and getting the case open to get to the keys is more complicated than I hoped for. I tried doing some research on line and came up empty. This was my main keyboard back in the 90's for doing music sequencing for live performances. I sequenced over 200 songs and have some nice arrangements. I used an Alesis MMT8 sequencer and a disk drive to sequence and store all the midi dada on 3.5 floppy discs. All the data., including MIDI commands for other gear ....I presume ...is proprietary to the Roland U20. I still have all the other gear and they all work. Right now, it's important to me to get the Roland operating again. I dropped Roland U20 off at a local music store to have their keyboard tech look at it. The message he left for me was that it he wasn't interested in doing it and it wasn't cost efficient for me.

So.....now I'm thinking maybe I can get a MIDI controller keyboard to hook up with it . Do you think that could work ? The Roland U20 powers up just fine, it just many of the keys don't work. Here's a problem thou. I don't have much $$ to spend and I have to go as cheap as possible.
Suggestions ?
Thanks for reading !
Jim
Poor you! - I bought my U-20 by the end of 1989, and abandoned it in 1991 when a third replacement of the contact mats of the keybed was due. Despite me having had little opportunity to play, and despite the indoor climate. I assisted the official repair man the second time. Did we spend 3 hours or 5? Reassembling is risky: one false move can render the mats and the work useless.

Me too, I had sequenced songs to settings I had made on the U-20 - and replacing the contact mats requires the battery (for retaining those settings) to be unsoldered (or equivalent).

Yes, you could definitely hook up a keyboard controller of your choice to the U-20. However, remember that the U-20 pre-dates General MIDI and that its organization of sounds and instruments is unique. However, the rest of its MIDI (notes, effects) is standard. So you'll be able to use your songs on the U-20 or on other devices, but you'll have to re-assign the instruments to the parts (assign the desired Program Change messages to your songs, after or instead of the original ones).

Sidebar: I then bought a Fatar Studio 900 controller keyboard with weighted keys. (Call it over-compensating.) I had also bought a Roland CM-64 synthesizer module, which can use the expansion cards that I had for the U-20. However, soon General MIDI arrived (with its competing GS and XG extensions), and I settled on a Roland SC-55 Sound Canvas module.

Reaction score
THANK YOU for the response. I'm beginning to understand why the local keyboard tech didn't want to deal with it. So....I'm going to look up the Fatar Studio 900 right now and see if that's do-able. Having to re-assign the instruments to the parts would be a pain in the rear....but I'd think since the Alesis MMT8 sequencer would still run the Roland U20 along with the program changes. Anyway, thanks again and I'll look up the Fatar that your using.

Update: I looked on EBAY and i'm seeing the Fatar 990, but not the 900.

Last edited:
Reaction score
THANK YOU for the response. I'm beginning to understand why the local keyboard tech didn't want to deal with it. So....I'm going to look up the Fatar Studio 900 right now and see if that's do-able. Having to re-assign the instruments to the parts would be a pain in the rear....but I'd think since the Alesis MMT8 sequencer would still run the Roland U20 along with the program changes. Anyway, thanks again and I'll look up the Fatar that your using.

Update: I looked on EBAY and i'm seeing the Fatar 990, but not the 900.
Well, you needn't follow me in buying that same keyboard! - It's vintage, it's big (88 keys), it's heavy, I think it was expensive.

I suggest that you make up your mind regarding the keyboard you'd want and can afford, then look for what happens to be available.
Immediately coming to mind:
- number of keys (but there'll be transpose buttons to reach the full 127 semitones)
- size of the keys (full-size or smaller)
- weighting of the keys (to make it feel like an acoustic piano)
- controls (knobs, sliders, pads)
- screen (even touchscreen)
- connectors for pedals (sustain, expression)

Some keyboard are designed to integrate nicely with software. Software like FL Studio (a Digital Audio Workstation) or Komplete (a bundle of software synthesizers).
But you could also find a synthesizer with a keyboard (and a price) that suits you, and consider the features of that synth (or those of the U-20) a bonus. - Considering the age and the limitations of the U-20, you may be wise to consider buying something that puts you on a present-day track with controlling the U-20 as a link to the past (and your songs!).

Coming to think of it: you might be wise not to buy this keyboard on-line, but instead visit a "local" music shop, explain what you want, and pay a price for hardware that covers the occasion of trying and the advice, but above all your "certain" satisfaction. If "local" means driving hundreds of miles, you may be wise to place a call beforehand...

Me, I do have keyboards and the like, but I'm not a "real" keyboard player. :)

Reaction score
Thanks.......yeah, I'm not really a keyboard player either, but I was good at sequencing and arranging. All I'm really looking for are a new set of keys to replace not having the keys on the U20, including a pitch bend similar to the U20's also. Everything else, I'd rather run off the U20. If I can get full size keys like the U20 has, with a similar action to it, I'm fine. My goal right is to be able to play in real time a lot of the keyboard parts I slowed way down to sequence many moons ago. The MIDI program changes and control data I used to use on stage also controlled the PA effects, using an Alesis Quadraverb and also a Digitech Vocalist M5 harmonizer for background harmonies. It was a great live set up for me back then. My main instruments are bass and guitar, and some live keyboard playing, but pretty simple parts, and when I'd be playing the actual keyboard, I'd program the keyboard bass to kick in....and then back out again. Good times.

Reaction score
Thanks.......yeah, I'm not really a keyboard player either, but I was good at sequencing and arranging. All I'm really looking for are a new set of keys to replace not having the keys on the U20, including a pitch bend similar to the U20's also. Everything else, I'd rather run off the U20. If I can get full size keys like the U20 has, with a similar action to it, I'm fine. My goal right is to be able to play in real time a lot of the keyboard parts I slowed way down to sequence many moons ago. The MIDI program changes and control data I used to use on stage also controlled the PA effects, using an Alesis Quadraverb and also a Digitech Vocalist M5 harmonizer for background harmonies. It was a great live set up for me back then. My main instruments are bass and guitar, and some live keyboard playing, but pretty simple parts, and when I'd be playing the actual keyboard, I'd program the keyboard bass to kick in....and then back out again. Good times.
I see. :) Then you'll want a keyboard with additional controls.

Reaction score
Can you give me an example ?
Yes. Have a look at this model in three sizes: https://www.worlde.com.cn/products_34/. I bought the big P-88 Pro on AliExpress.
I do like it, but I'm myself more likely to use the previous edition of the Komplete Kontrol S61, https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/keyboards/kontrol-s49-s61-s88/, as I have quite some software that it was designed to control.
I'm fond of the keyboard that is integrated in the Hydrasynth Deluxe, a synthesizer that I love, http://www.ashunsoundmachines.com/hydrasynth-key.

These are examples of "many controls", not buying suggestions. :)

Reaction score
I will look through these, thanks !

I'm curious if any of the cheaper M-oxygen type would work. I've never played one, only seen them advertised.

Ask a Question