Simple Recording Idea

Reaction score
I've put this here purposely because I don't want an over technical answer, because at my age, the brain cells just don't do it any more.
OK. I have a Tyros 1. I have composed a number for my Daughters wedding next year, and ALL I want to do, is play it, and save it as an AUDIO file.
I have both a floppy drive, and a Hard Drive, to save it to, and I have some PC to Tyros cables, but I can't see any way of simply pressing a Record button, starting to play, pressing a Stop button and saving it.
Everything I'm doing bogs me down with stuff about Midi tracks, and changing voices, none of which I understand or want. I just want a simple recording. A super high quality recording isn't that important.
Any ideas please?
I'm looking for a REALLY simple way to do this. I ONLY want to end up with a simple MP3 file which I can put on a memory stick for her.
Thanks in anticipation.

Reaction score
I really hate Yamaha, I looked through the Manual only to find that the quick and easy method of recording is not there it it in the Quick Guide.

The easiest way is to connect the Line out L&R from your Tyros to the Line In inputs on a PC.

Download the free recording software Audacity and install it, the start recording in Audacity.

Play your song.

Stop Audacity recording then trim the start and end sections where you are not playing and then save the file as an MP3.

Conversely the Yamaha Quick Guide will explain how, if it makes sense to you, not much in a Yamaha manual makes sense to me.

Good Luck and best wishes to your Daughter and her future partner
(good grief I am being gender neutral)

Reaction score
Thanks very much. That sounds lije a good plan.
I despaired today, I really did. What I thought would have been a really simple bit of recording, was in fact a lesson in totally confusing gobbledegook.
The manual was about as much help as a roll of Andrex!

Thank you.

Reaction score
I whine about the Korg manuals being written in Klingon but Yamaha manuals are written by beings from another Dimension.

Hope you get a workable system sorted.

Reaction score
That's SO funny  and so true.
Late last night I sourced and ordered an appropriate 2 metre 3.5mm mini stereo jack to 2X 6.35mm 1/4" mono male plugs cable to enable me to do this.
I had tried it with my Roland Um cable, but without success.
I'm sure I'm not the only amateur musician to find the whole MIDI scenario extremely complicated, although I'm sure with time and some tuition I could probably work it out, but at 73 it's realistically probably not going to happen.
I'm just amazed that this beautiful instrument is so easy to play, but has no bog standard recording facility.
Really grateful for your help.

Reaction score
Using the Line Out jack sockets is not using MIDI it is using the analogue outputs.

You may well have to select the input source in Audacity to be able to record it, I am on my iPad so cannot give you chapter and verse on selecting the input source until this evening.

Reaction score
Yes, I understood that. All I want is a straightforward AUDIO file.
I really don't get MIDI. It seems extremely over complicated.

Reaction score
Thanks again for all your help. My STAGG cable arrived yesterday, and after a little experimenting, I have been able to set up both the PC and Tyros to talk to each other.
Cable is a straightforward connection between the two main Line Out jacks to the audio in (blue) stereo jack on the PC. If it helps anyone else.......
Settings on Audacity along the bottom bar are MME, Line in Realtek High Defenition (will vary with sound card presumably), Stereo recording channel, speakers Realtek, use export to save to MP3.
Main speaker switch on genuine floor Tyros speaker OFF, and using headphones then allows music to be heard whilst playing /recording.

BIG thanks Mr Biggles, it's done the job. Now to sort out the music!

Reaction score
Tyros quick record will auto record directly on the keyboard everything you play including all the style part.
Just save to USB and you have a midi file....Not sure about Tyro1 but my Tyros 2 will save as MP3...or Wav.
No need for any computer software or to connect to a PC.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for that, but the Tyros 1 doesn't have USB. That's where the problem arose. Wish it had been that simple.

Reaction score
Yes I have, and a quite large Hard Drive. But there seems to be no obvious way of recording directly to either. I only have the BIG manual. I don't have any other manual, and the instructions, as pointed out, might as well be written in Swahili....

Reaction score
All going fine now with Biggles help, and I can record direct and save as MP3, so thanks for all the other suggestions.
If (in time whenever) my Tyros 1 ever packs up, I'll probably seek out a Tyros 2 or 3 with the USB built in, but it's not a big priority.

Reaction score
Thank you.
I don't normally record, except straight to my Oneplus smartphone on a tripod, but needed an actual MP3 file on this occasion.
Why Yamaha always make their manuals so over complicated is beyond me.

Reaction score
Product manuals from companies are all poor, they are written in R&D departments, they should be done by a user who is familiar with a product.

Reaction score
Thank you.
I don't normally record, except straight to my Oneplus smartphone on a tripod, but needed an actual MP3 file on this occasion.
Why Yamaha always make their manuals so over complicated is beyond me.

The answer is remakably simple as to why Yamaha manuals are so complicated.

Their manuals are written in Japanese, translated into Mandarin, which is then translated into Urdo and then the Urdo manual in turn is translated into Farsi, the Farsi manual is then translated into Latin which is then translated Gaelic and this Gaelic manual is then is translated into English by a translator whose only reference to Gaelic is The Dummies Guide to Translating Gaelic.

Good job you do not have a Korg, their manuals are written in Klingon.

Reaction score
That's 100% right.
Companies are invariably so hell bent on getting products to market to satisfy the bean counters that User manuals are just pumped out by secretarial staff with no musical knowledge rather than by musicians.

Ask a Question