Styles.

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha psr i500. It is not loading style files. It says no files. Help

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
One thing to check is that the filenames aren't causing a problem. The file extension must be ".sty" and the keyboard gets confused by any extra periods in the filename.

Some style files designed for PSR-S and higher models have names that include icon IDs, consisting of a period and four characters. You would need to rename the files to remove those icon IDs or your keyboard model will think that the icon ID is part of the file extension. Or you can leave the icon ID in the name but change the period to an underline character.

The following example is made up. Suppose the style file is named

RockBallad.A123.STY

The keyboard model you have would assume the file extension is

.A123.STY

and would not recognize that it's a style file, because it is looking for files with an extension of

.STY

So you could either rename the file to

RockBallad.STY

or to something like

RockBallad_A123.STY

such that there's only one period in the name, just before STY.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Check your manual.
Pages 59 thru to 78 gives you all the information on using styles.
Two possible things come to mind . .
Format the usb first before loading style onto it.
And
Check your playback is not set to song mode.

Reaction score
Hi there,

I bought an .sty file from psrstyles.com but when I loaded 3 or 4 differrent .sty files into into my E473 they loaded very easily coming up with completed. Through the styles button I found the files in the Yamaha but they were blank. I tried all the A,B, C, D buttons but nothing and on the screen they were all clear as if nothing was there. Am I a stupid newbie or am I missing something (apart from the odd screw being loose)!
Thanks for any help you can help. I love the groove set included, I just want to buy more but can't seem to get them working.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
(Just to be clear...)

The A, B, C, D buttons on the right side of the keyboard are used with the Quick Sampling feature.

The A, B, C, D buttons on the left side of the keyboard are used with the Groove Creator feature.

"Grooves"-- or "Patterns" as they were called on some earlier models in the same line-- are different than Styles and I don't think it's possible to load new "Groove files" into the keyboard the way you can with Style files.

If you load a Style file to a given User Style slot number, make sure you're trying to use the Style feature-- not the Groove Creator feature-- to try to use it.

Reaction score
Thank you for your help. Yes I loaded several onto the E473 and played them through the styles button. I have learned a lot in the last few days with your help. I would say to other people wanting these sty files not to buy the premium pack I paid 25$. They are not a patch on what comes with the box. Complete waste of money but I have learned how to load and save to a number. I just have to look round now for a good website to buy premium stys from that are useable.
If you ever speak to Yamaha it woould be good if they can put some sort of format recommendation into these stys, e.g. A for a start, B for regular rhythm, E for "Climax / Ending" so when you are on stage you don't think B is a rhythm and it ends your performance (embarrassingly). Anyway, I am moving in the right direction thanks to you and this forum.
All the best,
John

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
John, the impression I get from other Yamaha users who are much, much more into styles than I am is that many of them buy or trade style files, then take some time to "tweak" the styles using one or more programs designed for that purpose. They will typically do things like "revoice" the styles to make sure the styles are using the best voices and drum kits that their particular model has available, edit the voice parameters, edit the reverb and chorus and other effects used, etc. Some even get into editing the musical parts-- the bass lines, chord types, intros, etc.

So basically, I wouldn't write off the style files you purchased just yet, because you might be able to tweak them to be more to your liking.

If you haven't already heard of it, you might want to check out the PSR Tutorial website and forum. The main site offers collections of style files on USB thumb drives, and while most of them are likely intended for the Genos, Tyros, PSR-SX, and PSR-S models, many of them might work with the PSR-E models, or might be able to be converted to work with PSR-E models. You should also be able to find articles and programs for style editing.

You can also check out Jorgen Sorensen's site, jososoft.dk, as he has programs that he's written, as well as articles and links that should be very helpful.

Reaction score
Good afternoon sir, I am so new to this and want to get more music I can mix and play. I am just mixing what came with the E473 to clubs but I do need to extend the music and want to fill those spare 10 style places that Yamaha leave available. Not that I can afford it yet, but which Yamaha unit would be my next step up to give me more grooves and maybe buy some grooves or which has the biggest selection of styles that are available to buy? However, right now I will just use the 473 as it works well. I will look at Jorgen's website in a couple of days. I have to prepare for tonight's heavy night of music right now. I bought the Yamaha carrying case and a stand from my local shop in Las Palmas. I have a mike, peddle and I put my tablet on the chart stand for timing play lengths. I think I have everything just need to check out the styles. I have good headphones but don't seem to need them with what I am currently doing. Thank you for your help and speedy responses.
Best regards, John

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
As far as the next step up from the PSR-E473, that would probably be the PSR-S670 or the PSR-SX600.

Reaction score
Thank you. I will have a look at these units in my local store. I wish you all the best. John

Ask a Question