Sustain pedal problems :-(

C

CKN

Just got a Yamaha PSR-E453 keyboard (slightly used..in good condition). It's a fun little guy and will work great for our secondary keyboard in the worship band. But.....

It seems to have an issue with the sustain pedal. It'll work for awhile and then out of the blue, it continues to sustain forever until I shut off the machine! Yikes. This is not good obviously. We've tried another pedal with the same results.

No it's not just happening when a certain voice has a longer decay (as the manual says about certain voices). It happens on all voices.

We've got a gig on June 2, 2018 and seriously need some help! I've contacted Yamaha via email so I'm waiting for an answer there too.

If you 've got additional help, we'd really be thankful!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Yamahas use a reverse polarity sustain pedal.

Yamaha tech support will probably tell you to buy a genuine Yamaha pedal if you are not already using one.

If you are using a universal type pedal then check the polarity which should be a tiny slide switch either on the bottom or on one of its edges.

Try reversing the setting and see if that solves the problem.

Gary ;)

C

CKN

Gary, I did check the manual to make sure the polarity wasn't reversed. That did seem to be an initial issue but that was resolved. And then I did a "reset" per owner's manual instructions because the sustain was going on and on. It seemed to clear the issue and then it came back after awhile.

So I checked the pedal we got with it (like I say we just bought it used) and it isn't a Yamaha. But we did try another Yamaha compatible pedal and the issue still exists.:(

Still stumped..... But

C

CKN

Gary, I did check the manual to make sure the polarity wasn't reversed. That did seem to be an initial issue but that was resolved. And then I did a "reset" per owner's manual instructions because the sustain was going on and on. It seemed to clear the issue and then it came back after awhile.

So I checked the pedal we got with it (like I say we just bought it used) and it isn't a Yamaha. But we did try another Yamaha compatible pedal and the issue still exists.:(

Still stumped..... But
P.S. This keyboard model has different instructions to reverse the polarity but yeah, that was initially an issue when we first plugged in the machine.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Take an ohm meter and do a quick continuity test on the pedal to check if it is operating properly.

It should read zero ohms when the pedal is up and infinity when the pedal is pressed.

If those readings are OK then the problem is not the pedal.

Gary ;)

C

CKN

Take an ohm meter and do a quick continuity test on the pedal to check if it is operating properly.

It should read zero ohms when the pedal is up and infinity when the pedal is pressed.

If those readings are OK then the problem is not the pedal.

Gary ;)

Gary, I don't have an ohm meter but maybe I can get our friend at one of the music stores to check that out. Howeverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...... since this issue also happened with another pedal in this keyboard, I'm suspecting another culprit. Dang machine! Hahaha! :mad:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You can perform the same test with an AA battery and a flashlight bulb and a couple of inches of insulated wire.

Basically it's just a continuity test.

And personally I hate Yamaha keyboards. They have arrogant useless tech support and a real "my way or the highway" attitude when it comes to supporting non yamaha hardware or operating systems.

Good luck with that pack of apes. :p

Gary ;)

C

CKN

You can perform the same test with an AA battery and a flashlight bulb and a couple of inches of insulated wire.

Basically it's just a continuity test.

And personally I hate Yamaha keyboards. They have arrogant useless tech support and a real "my way or the highway" attitude when it comes to supporting non yamaha hardware or operating systems.

Good luck with that pack of apes. :p

Gary ;)
Oh dear....that's not happy to hear regarding their tech support :'( My spouse is a Registered Piano Technician, (only works on acoustic pianos though) and is also certified by Yamaha. They've been excellent with us for any issues related to their acoustic pianos. But who knows how they'll do with their keyboards. Personally I'd rather play on a fabulous grand piano any day over an electric keyboard but hey, outdoor gigs don't work so well with acoustic pianos...and who wants to move a grand outside? Haha! ;-)

Thanks for you help Gary.

Ask a Question