That 'classic' Hammond sound - who does it best???

Reaction score
Well I just received my electo 3 73 the other day. I primarily choose this over the SV1 because of the organ sounds. Let me tell you I am not disappointed. I love this thing. great hammond sound as far as I'm concerned. Very tweekable in a real time live way. I have been using a modern CX3 (version ll) for a couple of years and although it was a nice board and served me well I think the nord beats it. Yes it does have those nice drawbars to grab onto, but damm this nord sounds so good and 19lbs to boot i can live w/ the button draw bars. Bonus is the Clavs are the closest i have ever heard to the real thing from a synth and the EP's are great. The AP's are respectable.

I do hear the hammond XK3c is a great clonewheel also, but doesn't really shine unless it is played thru leslie. Nord simulator is supposedly better. I have never got a chance to try one.

Put the Electro high on the list for possible new clonewheel organ.........

Reaction score
I've been using a Roland VK-7 for a few years and been pretty happy with the sound when it comes to emulating the sound of a Hammond organ. However, when I recently had the chance to play a real Hammond through a real Leslie, I realised how much better the real thing sounds...even though it was just a 'portable' Hammond like an X-5 (or B-300) I think.

Reaction score
Roland VR-700 Combo Organ 76 keys $2000 with real drawbars. yes better than Nord elec 3 61 keys $2000 no drawbars.

Ask a Question