The "Perfect Keyboard"

rm5

Reaction score
I was just thinking about this after taking delivery of my CP88 the other day (which is absolutely AWESOME!!)—what would be the "perfect keyboard?" I think this is very subjective, but let me offer my thoughts about this. And in the end, I don't think there even can be a "perfect keyboard." But to me, this hypothetical keyboard would be something along these lines:
  • 88-key, weighted, graded action
  • Phenomenal pre-installed sounds—think Nord Piano Library sounds like Royal Grand 3D, White Grand, Felt Upright, etc.
  • Healthy amount of expansion memory for additional sounds—probably at least 2 GB, if not 4 GB, so you can load as many as you want
  • Realistic organ engine—something like the C2D engine from the Electro/Stage series or the VCM from the YC series
  • Full synthesizer capabilities
  • The entire Yamaha Genos/SX900 style library
  • 32-track MIDI recording and EASY editing
I know this makes basically zero sense, this is purely hypothetical. Who would need arranger capabilities in a stage keyboard? But I think this would be as close to "perfect" as it could ever get. Again, in my mind, there's no such thing as a "perfect keyboard," because there's just no way to have it all, but I think the above capabilities outline sort of what I'm thinking.

What are your thoughts? Any additional features you'd want?

Reaction score
Welcome.

Not being a Yamaha lover I would not want a keyboard with the strained brass as per the Genos or SX models

Now a KORG Pa5X 76 with a fully updated OS to include all the features omitted from the mark 1 version of the OS not to mention being totally Bug Free would be ideal.

Reaction score
I was just thinking about this after taking delivery of my CP88 the other day (which is absolutely AWESOME!!)—what would be the "perfect keyboard?" I think this is very subjective, but let me offer my thoughts about this. And in the end, I don't think there even can be a "perfect keyboard." But to me, this hypothetical keyboard would be something along these lines:
  • 88-key, weighted, graded action
  • Phenomenal pre-installed sounds—think Nord Piano Library sounds like Royal Grand 3D, White Grand, Felt Upright, etc.
  • Healthy amount of expansion memory for additional sounds—probably at least 2 GB, if not 4 GB, so you can load as many as you want
  • Realistic organ engine—something like the C2D engine from the Electro/Stage series or the VCM from the YC series
  • Full synthesizer capabilities
  • The entire Yamaha Genos/SX900 style library
  • 32-track MIDI recording and EASY editing
I know this makes basically zero sense, this is purely hypothetical. Who would need arranger capabilities in a stage keyboard? But I think this would be as close to "perfect" as it could ever get. Again, in my mind, there's no such thing as a "perfect keyboard," because there's just no way to have it all, but I think the above capabilities outline sort of what I'm thinking.

What are your thoughts? Any additional features you'd want?
Me, I'd split the ideal. At least in the keyboard controller (keybed, other controls) and the sounds (oscillators, samples). Even then, I doubt if the constituting devices would justify mass production.

Ask a Question