The Seaboard

Reaction score
Interesting video on the BBC today about a new type of keyboard that has been developed by a firm called Roli:

"The Seaboard" has the shape of a familiar keyboard, but the keys are made from a flexible, soft material. The instrument represents a musical revolution, according to its designers, some of whom are accomplished pianists themselves..

It is part of a growing trend for "haptic" solutions, touch-based technology that allows for intuitive, fine control, as opposed to blunt instruments like the mouse, or joystick.

You can see the spongy keyboard in action here: Seaboard keyboard: UK firm develops new sound system

Roli's website shows the Seaboard in action too: http://www.weareroli.com/

Can you imagine this type of keyboard catching on? I have to admit I'd love to have a go and see what it feels like!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I don't really see how the technology is any different from a good controller with aftertouch. I also have my doubts about how well it wears under repeated use.

I think the only way I'd consider buying one is if it was priced around the $100 to $150 mark since this thing looks like it costs peanuts to build. Really it's just an injection molded membrane and a few circuit boards.

I don't think it will ever be the keyboard's answer to the chapman stick.

Reaction score
I can see how the technology is different; but what would trouble me is that playing the thing would require a whole lot of re-training. I can handle aftertouch with either a wheel or joystick. This would definitely be a completely different 'feel'.

I'm too olde to learn that many new tricks. :confused:

Wes

Reaction score
If the haptic feedback is done well, I bet it would not require a lot of re-training, especially for musicians who are already used to other kinds of non-keyboard instruments. I still find myself trying to get vibrato out of cello patches by wiggling my fingers; sigh.

That said, for my next input device, I really want a Yamaha wind controller..damn they are expensive, though.

Wes

Reaction score
A few years back my lovely wife gave me a 'roll-up' keyboard, thinking I might enjoy having something I could carry easily to play 'wherever'. I tried. I could never get used to the complete lack of tactile feedback, even though it sounded reasonably good. While this one might be better, I think I'll pass. Lots of other toys to explore that don't require re-learning how to play.

Ask a Question