Trying to duplicate instrument output in a Yamaha DGX660. Can you ID the instrument?

Reaction score
I have a very short few beats in a video that I'm hoping you can identify. I've been trying to duplicate that sound in my DGX-660, with not much luck (I an only 4 months into my learning journey).

On the video below, it sounds like a deep drum then a bit of reverb. Plays on the first note of each measure. It is not a drum, at least not a real drum...the tone changes t o match with the note it is playing with .I'm also interested in what the half beat instrument is as well.

You'll probably need at least decent ear buds to really hear it.

I appreciate any thoughts. BTW, someone did suggest Pizzicato Strings, but if it is my keyboard is far off from that sound using that

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Is that playing on your DGX-660? Is it a MIDI song file? If so, you might be able to inspect the file in a MIDI editor to see what voice or drum kit it's using-- and if it's a drum kit, which notes (percussion sounds) it's using.

Reaction score
Is that playing on your DGX-660? Is it a MIDI song file? If so, you might be able to inspect the file in a MIDI editor to see what voice or drum kit it's using-- and if it's a drum kit, which notes (percussion sounds) it's using.
That is playing from the accompaniment to the song from my laptop, through the keyboard (laptop connected to the keyboard via 3 mm port). I'm thinking no way to get a midi from that.

Reaction score
I think you are referring to the the upright string bass (on beat one of those measures)?
That is the sound. I was thinking the same thing, but I'm unable to duplicate that on the keyboard. I'll try again.

Any thoughts on the time on the middle beat?

Reaction score
That is the sound. I was thinking the same thing, but I'm unable to duplicate that on the keyboard. I'll try again.

Any thoughts on the time on the middle beat?
I guess my hearing and reading skills have gone to pot over the last 50 years. It just feels awkward to me after years being away from that aspect.

Reaction score
First thoughts were like Don’s, an acoustic upright Bass but if you cannot find that in the category try a well thumbed bass and add a touch of echo just to the bass.

The other staccato sound is a strummed then muted electric guitar, no idea how you replicate that on a DGX.

Reaction score
Gentlemen...I agree with the thought of it being a bass, and I have succeeded in getting a similar result. Thanks for the suggestions.

On the guitar sound, I gave up on that.

I wonder what circumstance would the guitar sounds on a keyboard be relevant/used. No way to strum. There may be a way to pluck, via a staccato method of playing. But I haven't noticed much music using that, although it's not like I sit around listening to guitar music with scrutiny.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
With the help of some arpeggiators even an amateur can produce a decent sounding riff. :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Great video Gary, thanks for posting it.

The guy does a great job but what he does not say until late in the vid is that to replicate a strum he does so by playing the notes in a rapid one after the other sequence, not all together.

One thing though he makes a lot of use of the wheels and keeps going on about whammy bars, in reality not to many guitarists even have one let alone use it. Its mostly by string bend and not all the strings are bent by the same amount, one or more may be a tone whilst others 1/2 a tone.

Look at a guitar chord chart and you will see six, five and four note chords. So replicating that whilst playing arranger style would be very problematic.

ie a C chord is E, C, E, G, C, E, good luck with than one handed!

Reaction score
I just watched that video today. It was interesting.

He did indicate in the video that you would have to play two handed to do some of that. There are some other videos out there too.

But given that I have yet to get to the classes on chords, which is in intermediate. I'm close to that.

Ask a Question