Umm, hi... Keyboard newbie here...

Reaction score
Hi everyone... I'm from the UK, and wish to take up the keyboard as an instrument. I'm 22, and have a somewhat large amount of disposable income, and plenty of spare time. Most of my music taste is heavily influenced by the use of keyboards (I always seem to like bands which use a keyboard), and I love how a keyboard sounds...

Reaction score
Hello there ! Welcome to the world :)

Playing keyboard/piano is a wonderful feeling. Make sure you put your heart & soul into it. It takes time and effort to master it, learning is a lifetime process. So, stick to it and you'll fall more in love with it ! And hey... dont forgetbto enjoy thisn journey :)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I always liked bands with keyboards, too. Nowadays just about everyone has synths, but when I was young there were a lot of bands that had just drums, bass, guitars, and vocals. Sometimes I would buy an album from a band I'd never heard, simply because the back of the cover listed a keyboardist! :)

If you have a lot of money, you'll probably want to buy a good arranger or workstation keyboard-- although it might be a better idea to start with an inexpensive MIDI keyboard controller and a free or inexpensive DAW with a good assortment of VST instruments, so you can get your feet wet without investing too much money. It's a lot different today than when I was young, because there are some very good free soft synths, so you don't need to spend several thousands of dollars just to experiment with a synth to see if it's for you. And if you're more interested in playing a piano, electric piano, or organ than a synth, there are programs (or "patches") for pianos, organs, guitars, basses, violins, flutes, choirs, etc.

Then if, after testing the waters with a MIDI keyboard controller and VST instruments, you decide you definitely want to pursue keyboards more seriously, you can buy a really nice arranger or workstation keyboard.

Reaction score
Welcome FelixAriel!

If you have a large disposable income and plenty of spare time - you're a) a lucky bugger, and b) perfectly positioned to learn how to play a musical instrument!

Glad to hear you enjoy music with keyboard in it, there's plenty of good stuff out there to inspire you.

Hope you get plenty of value from the forum and good luck in your keyboard learning/playing journey.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Have you played any musical instruments before? Are you planning keyboard lessons or learning by yourself?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Hi Felix. Welcome aboard. SeaGtGruff gave you some solid advice.

Your best bet to start out is to buy something gently used from Craigslist or your local classifieds.

You should be able to find something 5 years old or less of professional quality for 1/2 the original selling price. Then if you find it too difficult and give up you can always sell it off again for what you paid for it.

I'd recommend looking around for a decent workstation with 88 hammer action weighted velocity sensitive keys. That way you can learn true piano styles with a proper piano touch keyboard.

If you look around on your local Craigslist you should be able to find something like a used Korg TR88 or Yamaha Motif ES8 for about half of what they sold for originally.

Both great professional quality keyboards to learn with and you won't be forced to compromise on quality, while not being stuck with a 35% loss if you end up selling prematurely.

Here's hoping you end up beginning a lifetime love affair with your instrument though ;)

Gary

EDIT >>> Actually there are some great stage pianos out there around the $1000 mark and one worth taking a look at is the Casio PX-5S. It's much more than a piano. It also has a full compliment of organ and synth sounds and it's one of the best deals around these days in new keyboards.

Last edited:

Ask a Question